~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

23 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

As a middle school teacher I have received tourniquet training already but due to our state's new "Parental Rights" law I'm unable to give students even a simple Band-Aid unless their parents have been notified ahead of time. Go figure.

They trust teachers to carry a gun and determine when is a good time to start shooting at a student....but of course a teacher can't be trusted to, you know, teach....

• True 1
  • Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

They trust teachers to carry a gun and determine when is a good time to start shooting at a student....but of course a teacher can't be trusted to, you know, teach....

I'm expected to die for my kids yet in Florida I'm treated as a groomer attempting to indoctrinate this children. This is teacher appreciation week yet I couldn't feel less wanted for what I do.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:
72778131_1683560247820923_r.png
WWW.GOFUNDME.COM

On Saturday, May 6th, Cindy, Kyu, William and James Cho visited the Allen outle… Y K needs your support for Allen Tx Shooting-R.I.P. Kyu, Cindy and James Cho

The 6 year old lost his parents and brother 

I was unfortunate enough to have stumbled on the crime scene photos and being able to ID them from that photo is incredibly unnerving, particularly given what they looked like. I don't understand how someone could see what assault rifles do and think that they are fit for public usage.

• Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I was unfortunate enough to have stumbled on the crime scene photos and being able to ID them from that photo is incredibly unnerving, particularly given what they looked like. I don't understand how someone could see what assault rifles do and think that they are fit for public usage.

I think the problem is most people haven’t seen what assault rifles do to a person, or even a handgun. It’s not like the movies.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Neighbor shoots 14-year-old as kids play hide and seek outside, Louisiana cops say
https://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article275197271.html

A 14-year-old was shot in the head as she played hide and seek, Louisiana deputies say. Now a neighbor is facing multiple charges. David V. Doyle, 58, was arrested Sunday, May 7, after the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office said he opened fire on a group of kids playing on his property and “unknowingly hit the girl.” Deputies were called about a shooting at a home in Starks early that morning, authorities wrote in a news release. They arrived to find a teen who was shot in the back of the head.

The girl, who wasn’t publicly identified, was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to deputies.

Huh???

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

So the mall mass shooter had a swastika tattoo and an SS tattoo.

But let’s not overreact here, he could just be a fan of lightening bolts and the third dungeon from the first Legend of Zelda game.

I see someone’s been reading Twitter sleuths. ;)

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

So the mall mass shooter had a swastika tattoo and an SS tattoo.

But let’s not overreact here, he could just be a fan of lightening bolts and the third dungeon from the first Legend of Zelda game.

Whenever I think it's wild that some people simply cannot accept that it's possible for a Mexican person to be a white supremacist, I'm reminded that I know a lot of people who worked with Europeans every day who insisted that Spanish speakers from Spain were Hispanic despite them saying they were not.

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Whenever I think it's wild that some people simply cannot accept that it's possible for a Mexican person to be a white supremacist, I'm reminded that I know a lot of people who worked with Europeans every day who insisted that Spanish speakers from Spain were Hispanic despite them saying they were not.

Shit, this year alone we had Kanye West talking about how cool Nazis were.

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Spanish and their decendents ruled the colonies and the nations that followed. That still taints the modern nations in Latin America.

For him it could be trying to fit in or an extension of Spanish colonial rascism. 

It concerns me how many Latins get caught up in the alt-right. 

28 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It concerns me how many Latins get caught up in the alt-right. 

It is deeply concerning, and it's been an area white people in America broadly don't seem to understand. Many Latine's (I heard that's the best term now?) are religious, conservative, and believe themselves to be white, just like European white people. It's a huge demographic and it'd be nice if they realized "regular" white people don't think these Latine's are white at all and that them being conservative is not helping them at all broadly speaking, but actively hurting them.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It is deeply concerning, and it's been an area white people in America broadly don't seem to understand. Many Latine's (I heard that's the best term now?) are religious, conservative, and believe themselves to be white, just like European white people. It's a huge demographic and it'd be nice if they realized "regular" white people don't think these Latine's are white at all and that them being conservative is not helping them at all broadly speaking, but actively hurting them.

Every latino person I know wants to be called Latino. I’ve never known one to not scoff at latinx, and I’ve never heard Latine. Not that I know a lot, but they are pretty damn adamant. 

it’s pretty well known that it’s not the latino people coming up with these terms. 

Racist views don’t have to make sense though, that’s the point. The ideology falls apart under direct scrutiny, they just refuse to scrutinize it.

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Every latino person I know wants to be called Latino. I’ve never known one to not scoff at latinx, and I’ve never heard Latine. Not that I know a lot, but they are pretty damn adamant. 

it’s pretty well known that it’s not the latino people coming up with these terms. 

It did start with the Latinx community, but mostly with the non-binary and everyone else that falls after LGB. The vast majority of Latin folks don't fall under that category, so it either doesn't matter to them or they think it's silly. I'm Puerto Rican and I've got no problem using Latinx because I'm not so obsessed with tradition. If using Latinx makes a small number of normally marginalized folks in the Latinx community feel a little more welcome, cool. It doesn't take any longer to type and it's the same number of syllables, so whatever. It doesn't bother me.

The fact that it bothers anybody is weird to me. What? Replacing one little letter in a word makes a small fraction of people on this planet just a little happier and feel a little more accepted and respected? If only everything in life were that easy.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It did start with the Latinx community, but mostly with the non-binary and everyone else that falls after LGB. The vast majority of Latin folks don't fall under that category, so it either doesn't matter to them or they think it's silly. I'm Puerto Rican and I've got no problem using Latinx because I'm not so obsessed with tradition. If using Latinx makes a small number of normally marginalized folks in the Latinx community feel a little more welcome, cool. It doesn't take any longer to type and it's the same number of syllables, so whatever. It doesn't bother me.

The fact that it bothers anybody is weird to me. What? Replacing one little letter in a word makes a small fraction of people on this planet just a little happier and feel a little more accepted and respected? If only everything in life were that easy.

I've read that Latine (with an accent over the e) is more understandable and makes more sense as a truly gender neutral word in Spanish whereas Latinx, while easy to say in English, can be confusing because of of the "x" when in Spanish is the way I've understood it. I usually default to Latino when speaking in real life. Stuff like the below.

Phillips-Ortiz-Video-1.jpg
WWW.GEORGETOWN.EDU

What’s the difference between Hispanic, Latino, Latina, Latinx and Latine? Are gender-neutral terms like Latinx and Latine tailored English speakers? What’s the right word to use? How do you know who’s a part of the community?

59 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've read that Latine (with an accent over the e) is more understandable and makes more sense as a truly gender neutral word in Spanish whereas Latinx, while easy to say in English, can be confusing because of of the "x" when in Spanish is the way I've understood it. I usually default to Latino when speaking in real life. Stuff like the below.

Phillips-Ortiz-Video-1.jpg
WWW.GEORGETOWN.EDU

What’s the difference between Hispanic, Latino, Latina, Latinx and Latine? Are gender-neutral terms like Latinx and Latine tailored English speakers? What’s the right word to use? How do you know who’s a part of the community?

Sure, but a professor really doesn’t get to choose what words a community uses to identify themselves, or how they want to be identified. 

Like I said, I see many people of mexican descent say they are latino, bith men and women, including some I know.

I fail to see how it’s inclusive language when much of the group your referring to doesn’t feel included by it. A quick search of social media shows me that they don’t like #Latine any more than #LatinX.

Its kind of like most women not wanting to be called “People with uteruses” or “birthing persons”, even in medical literature, and speak out against it yet are ignored. These things just won’t catch on, because they aren’t wanted or needed by the communities they claim to be inclusive of. New language has to happen organically, people aren’t going to start using words because experts tell them to. It very much feels like academics trying to force this stuff. 

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Sure, but a professor really doesn’t get to choose what words a community uses to identify themselves, or how they want to be identified. 

Like I said, I see many people of mexican descent say they are latino, bith men and women, including some I know.

I fail to see how it’s inclusive language when much of the group your referring to doesn’t feel included by it. A quick search of social media shows me that they don’t like #Latine any more than #LatinX.

Its kind of like most women not wanting to be called “People with uteruses” or “birthing persons”, even in medical literature, and speak out against it yet are ignored. These things just won’t catch on, because they aren’t wanted or needed by the communities they claim to be inclusive of. New language has to happen organically, people aren’t going to start using words because experts tell them to. It very much feels like academics trying to force this stuff. 

What? The article is just an example. My understanding is that it's about the LGBTQ+ community creating a term that is inclusive enough to include them too given the way Spanish words are frequently broken down by gender binary. This isn't a conversation just happening in classrooms, I see stuff all over the place about it. It doesn't need to be trending to be relevant or matter either.

And honestly your example with women isn't analogous. More apt would be women who are TERF's not liking that people who have transitioned into women wanting to be considered part of "their" group (aka being considered a "woman") in the same way that the LGBTQ+ Latino/Latine community wants their language to also be inclusive and many Latinos/Latines not caring in much the same way when perhaps more should, which is why this conversation is happening in the first place. Does that make sense? Even if it's not a thing, it should be. No, a professor doesn't get to choose the words a community uses to identify themselves with, the most marginalized groups should so they can feel equal and included. Of course there are limits but clearly this has been an issue in one form or another for awhile. Here that would be the LGBTQ+ community and us changing languages and us using different words and pronouns should be the easiest thing by comparison.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

What? The article is just an example. My understanding is that it's about the LGBTQ+ community creating a term that is inclusive enough to include them too given the way Spanish words are frequently broken down by gender binary. This isn't a conversation just happening in classrooms, I see stuff all over the place about it. It doesn't need to be trending to be relevant or matter either.

And honestly your example with women isn't analogous. More apt would be women who are TERF's not liking that people who have transitioned into women wanting to be considered part of "their" group (aka being considered a "woman") in the same way that the LGBTQ+ Latino/Latine community wants their language to also be inclusive and many Latinos/Latines not caring in much the same way when perhaps more should, which is why this conversation is happening in the first place. Does that make sense? Even if it's not a thing, it should be. No, a professor doesn't get to choose the words a community uses to identify themselves with, the most marginalized groups should so they can feel equal and included. Here that would be the LGBTQ+ community and us changing languages and  using different words and pronouns should be the easiest thing by comparison.

Of course, and they are absolutely able to create those terms and use them if they feel it’s important to them. My point was it is probably not going to be the norm. Of course those communities should decide how they are referred to, just as the rest of the community has a right to reject it for themselves. Since they are the majority, its also likely those alternatives never gain wide acceptance, and that should be fine too.

I do feel that inclusive language should be used in relation to specific people who want it, but those people shouldn’t get upset when others tell them they don’t. 

Also, I hardly believe only TERFs have a problem with birthing woman and the like. Is Ana Kasparian a terf? She’s been supporting trans women for decades now. She hates the term. So do plenty of other progressives. I really don’t see a problem with people rejecting them for themselves, as long as they are using them for others who choose to.

Now, adios, I have a long day ahead.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Of course, and they are absolutely able to create those terms and use them if they feel it’s important to them. My point was it is probably not going to be the norm. Of course those communities should decide how they are referred to, just as the rest of the community has a right to reject it for themselves. Since they are the majority, its also likely those alternatives never gain wide acceptance, and that should be fine too.

Now, adios, I have a long day ahead.

I feel like we're having two different conversations. I said your analogy of "birthing woman" in relation to women using it as a term isn't apt. I said a more apt analogy would be a completely different thing, but you seem to be equating your analogy with mine and confusing the two because I didn't relate my analogy about TERF women being unaccepting of calling people who have transitioned and are women to be called women (is my understanding) which has nothing to do with using or not using the term birthing woman, by TERF's or women more broadly so you kind of lost me there. And either way trying to put in my post a more all-inclusive term like Latine while not being sure if that's the "right" term or not shouldn't really trigger a response where someone wants to make clear that no one cares about Latinx or Latine in their community. No one can make anyone use any term ultimately, it's about caring and being considerate and evolving.

I'm a Latino and I've always been confused about what term to call myself in the United States. In Mexico I am just Mexican. Here there's always been an evolving language on how to define us. It's annoying and I'm not a huge fan of Latinx because it's like.. latin-equis or latin-neeeks in Spanish.

However!!

However. I highly question the motives of people TRULY worked up about it. After our whole lives of having evolving labels, this one right now is the time you get upset and dedicate a lot of energy to? Fascinating. 

I wonder if some of it is Russian bots sowing dissent. 

6 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

However. I highly question the motives of people TRULY worked up about it. After our whole lives of having evolving labels, this one right now is the time you get upset and dedicate a lot of energy to? Fascinating. 

This is one of those things that needs to be made clear every so often. Twitter and Reddit is not a representative sample of anything. Just because like three people on Twitter get upset someone didn't use Latinx doesn't make it a big thing. The very rare cases I've come across folks they were more appreciative of Latinx than outright demanding the term be used in some militant, angry fashion.

This feels like pronouns. I've gotten them wrong in the past, and I just get corrected and move on. According to right wing Twitter, people are having their lives ruined over honest mistakes.

• Halal 3

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm a Latino and I've always been confused about what term to call myself in the United States. In Mexico I am just Mexican. Here there's always been an evolving language on how to define us. It's annoying and I'm not a huge fan of Latinx because it's like.. latin-equis or latin-neeeks in Spanish.

Hence Latine trying to replace Latinx for this very reason. 

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This feels like pronouns. I've gotten them wrong in the past, and I just get corrected and move on. According to right wing Twitter, people are having their lives ruined over honest mistakes.

This. I don't think anyone is acting "militant" about it, in fact, I see a lot more people getting worked up over the fact new terms are being "peddled" than people being worked up the terms aren't used universally.

I find outrage against using pronouns always so much louder than the people telling me to use the right terms. I've never had a trans person or another minority or a woman in real life tell me "how dare I" use the wrong term if I ever do (which I don't but if I slip up or something). But when a right winger hears I'm trying to use the right words, it pisses them off.

As usual, our outrage is aimed at the wrong target. We should embrace the new terms if they make sense and move on. Getting outraged to be asked to use new terms to accommodate marginalized groups is a far weirder thing to me.

• Halal 1

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

As usual, our outrage is aimed at the wrong target. We should embrace the new terms if they make sense and move on. Getting outraged to be asked to use new terms to accommodate marginalized groups is a far weirder thing to me.

The term has to originate from and be accepted by that community before it should be used by anyone else. I've mentioned this before but years ago people, probably started with a few disabled people but was spread by non disabled progressives (who broadly have a real ableist problem imo), tried to push Differently Abled on us. The disability community VERY firmly and loudly came out against it because we knew progressives would start using it, and as a result harm an identity we've been building for decades. Until a community itself starts using a term broadly, white progressives using it and willing it into the culture has an imperialist vibe to it. 

• True 3
  • Halal 1

32 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

The term has to originate from and be accepted by that community before it should be used by anyone else. I've mentioned this before but years ago people, probably started with a few disabled people but was spread by non disabled progressives (who broadly have a real ableist problem imo), tried to push Differently Abled on us. The disability community VERY firmly and loudly came out against it because we knew progressives would start using it, and as a result harm an identity we've been building for decades. Until a community itself starts using a term broadly, white progressives using it and willing it into the culture has an imperialist vibe to it. 

I agree, that's why I said that there's no need to force any use of the word, I was just initially trying to use a new term that seems to be preferred and may become more widely used in time. It's obviously somewhat up in the air currently, clearly.