Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of the Construct" announcement trailer (January 23)

Bacon

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Story" launch trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: Launch Live Action Trailer (directed by Oscar winner Chloé Zhao)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Book of Lorath- Episode 3: The Lord of Terror"

Game Information

Game Title: Diablo IV

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Jun 6, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jun 6, 2023)
  • PC (Jun 6, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jun 6, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Jun 6, 2023)

Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 96% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

CGMagazine - Brendan Frye - 10 / 10

Diablo IV's dark allure combines ingenious design choices to create an extraordinary Diablo that we couldn't have dreamed possible back in 1997.

DASHGAMER.com - Dan Rizzo - 10 / 10

It’s sure to satiate those that are looking to sink their teeth into another grind for endless hours, while giving back an authentic RTS experience that’s not just written in blood but its developer’s bearings. Diablo IV is unmissable. Praise Lilith.

Daily Mirror - Aaron Potter - 5 / 5

With all that said, Diablo 4 succeeds at unabashedly returning to the franchise’s grittier roots without ever losing sight of what it means to make the constant pursuit for loot immensely satisfying and addictive. Combined with a much sharper focus on story, a true open world and classes being more flexible than ever, this is an excellently balanced mainline Diablo instalment that will no doubt occupy players for years to come. Your only real issue will be working out when to put it down, as there’s always sure to be another gear item, side quest or dungeon in Sanctuary waiting for you to find.

Dexerto - Sam Smith - 5 / 5

Diablo 4 is a mighty sequel, but it can feel more like a grand buffet of tasty demon-slaying treats. It offers something for everyone but misses out on that acquired yet curated taste of the older entries.

This doesn't take away from Diablo 4 representing the next evolution in the series. It is a stellar sequel – and one that works hard to appeal to every fan of this beloved franchise.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 10 / 10

We had high expectations for Diablo 4, and we’re so happy to say that Blizzard has smashed them. This is a title that takes Diablo 3’s meaningful quality-of-life improvements and expands upon them with aplomb, while also bringing back the much-loved look and feel of Diablo 2. All the while, it’s not too focused on the past, taking the series into open world territory and making it more story-led than ever before. And what a story it tells: we never expected to be so invested. But more importantly, we can’t wait to start a new character and jump once again into the endgame. Diablo 4 is devilishly good – the best Diablo game yet, in fact – and it only stands to get better.

GamesRadar+ - Josh West - 5 / 5

"After sacrificing nearly 100 hours of my life to Diablo 4, I've barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer"

GamingTrend - Cassie Peterson, Ron Burke - 100 / 100

Diablo IV represents a massive shift for the series, moving to a more inclusive and open world that is somehow as inviting for new players as returning veterans. Complexity is mixed with flexibility to create a game that is sure to consume you for hundreds if not thousands of hours. Diablo IV is the game we've been waiting for, and a return to form for the Blizzard team.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 10 / 10

Diablo 4 is undoubtedly the best game that Blizzard has ever made and I'm still trying to wrap my head around just how much great content is on offer here, whether you're seeking a satisfying, well-written and bold story with masterful world-building or want fantastic endgame activities to drown in.

PCGamesN - Lauren Bergin - 10 / 10

Diablo 4 embodies the essence of what makes Diablo so great, taking the best elements of its predecessors and sewing them together to create an ever-changing, ever-evolving chimera that we can't wait to play for years to come.

Try Hard Guides - Christian Harrison - 10 / 10

Diablo IV is the monumentally fun game that such an iconic series deserves while still being approachable for new players to enjoy. The gameplay relies a lot on the grind, but you’re almost always rewarded with something of equal quality to the effort you put in. The story would get stale if you had to play through it each time, admittedly, but you can skip it for any additional characters once you beat it once.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 5 / 5

Diablo 4's always-online requirement is a shame, and a few of the classes are somewhat slow to kick into high gear, but we're only able to muster minor complaints for what is easily a game-of-the-year frontrunner, and Blizzard’s best game since Diablo 3.

VideoGamer - Ford James - 10 / 10

Diablo 4 feels like the apex of the series, bringing together everything great about the previous entries. It isn't without its minor flaws, and the success of the endgame content is still up in the air, but for once Diablo has a gripping story, phenomenal graphics, and a gameplay loop that doesn't innovate too much but is certainly better than its predecessor.

Windows Central - Jez Corden - 5 / 5

Simply put, Diablo 4 may be Blizzard's best-ever game, and that's a really tough legacy to live up to. Immaculate storytelling meets stunning art, polished, bug-free gameplay, atop endlessly customizable combat with the promise of dozens, maybe hundreds of hours of content — Diablo 4 might be Blizzard's most important, pivotal game since World of Warcraft. Do yourself a favor and go in completely blind. Even if you're not a typical fan of isometric action RPGs, I'm confident that you won't be disappointed.

Impulsegamer - Chris O'Connor - 4.9 / 5

If you are a fan of the previous games then absolutely grab a copy. If you haven't played a Diablo game before but like the idea of hack and slash with a healthy (or perhaps unhealthy) dose of loot clicking then grab a copy… basically… just grab a copy!!! Lot's of fun and a great example of how to bring an old game back to life like a necromancer summoning a Lich.

Generación Xbox - Luis Falcón - Spanish - 97 / 100

This new game is a return to the origins that promises to trap us in the Dark for many hours or days. A title that manages to stand out in everything and that has practically no drawback, maybe it's because we've been waiting for this new Diablo IV for years or because it's really an almost perfect game. But in any case, we recommend without any doubt that you make the jump to Sanctuary.

BaziCenter - Mohammad Talebian - Persian - 9.5 / 10

Some server issues aside, Diablo IV is the evolutionary game that the fans were waiting for. It's one of the most complete Action RPGs ever made, and with its solid story, much-improved narrative, super deep character development mechanisms, and superb visuals and atmosphere could become the new benchmark for the genre.

Gaming Nexus - Elliot Hilderbrand - 9.5 / 10

As the fourth entry to a series, I am beyond impressed with Diablo IV. The developers have managed to find a way to make the ARPG genre feel new and refreshing. I was worried about a lot of common tropes I see in the genre, but that was not an issue. My biggest gripe is the world is so big that having to walk around it instead of using a mount for so long was the worst part. How will the seasons play out? Will I want to play every season, or just the first couple? That's not something I can predict right now, but my guess is Diablo 4 will have me sticking around and jumping into a new season every so often for the next couple of years.

Multiplayer First - Vitor Braz - 9.5 / 10

Do yourself a favor: ditch your reservations and step into Sanctuary as soon as you can. It’s likely going to be literal hell during the launch queues, but you’ll have a beautifully grim and visceral adventure ahead, one where every leveling up sound will feel like music to your ears. Enjoy it to the best of your possibilities because an action-RPG of this caliber may only arrive in another decade or so, and missing out on Diablo 4 would be something that may just reserve you a spot in hell.

Oyungezer Online - Can Arabacı - Turkish - 9.5 / 10

Diablo IV is definitely one of the best games Blizzard has ever made. And possibly the best story they've ever told.

PPE.pl - Wojciech Gruszczyk - Polish - 9.5 / 10

Diablo is back and doesn't let you forget about it. Just the first few minutes are enough to fall into the circle of hatred and with blissful joy run with a scythe to the next demons, perform missions, collect experience points, look for new trinkets and repeat these attractions with a smile on your lips. Diablo 4 evokes very good memories.

Rectify Gaming - Rebecca Ellis - 9.5 / 10

Diablo IV will usher a new generation of action RPGs into the modern era with its brilliance.

Seasoned Gaming - Ainsley Bowden - 9.5 / 10

Diablo 4 is a masterpiece. It's the culmination of decades of ARPG refinement and evolution, and it manages to pay homage to the IP's legendary namesake while successfully integrating modern RPG elements.

TechRaptor - Austin Suther - 9.5 / 10

Diablo IV might just go down as one of Blizzard's best games. It delivers exciting and accessible ARPG gameplay, a stunning world and engaging narrative to experience, and so many activities to keep you hooked for hours on end.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9.5 / 10

Diablo IV is a triumph. It fulfills its promise, combining the aesthetics and feeling of Diablo II with the fantastic gameplay of III.  It is dark and gory, featuring a meaty campaign and endgame that should delight fans of the series for hundreds if not thousands of hours.

ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 9.5 / 10

Diablo 4 is a massive game dropping in a year chock FULL of massive games. 2023 has already seen Nintendo’s behemoth drop by way of Tears of the Kingdom which has been dominating charts and peoples’ times. Now Diablo 4 is going to come bursting in and demanding that same type of time commitment with a sprawling game world to explore on foot or horseback. Between dungeons, world events, side quests and even the main quests players will never be too far from something interesting to inspect or kill in Sanctuary. Diablo 4 feels like a wonderful homecoming, with its darker tone and sublime cutscenes which Blizzard has always been wonderful at; the whole game just feels like a love letter to us fans who have waited so long to return to Hell and defeat its denizens once more.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 94 / 100

Diablo IV is the true successor to the second game, returning the franchise to its dark, gothic roots with a wild, operatic narrative and bold characters. Gameplay is as addictive as ever, and the sprawling campaign is only the start of a massive amount of content to experience. While Blizzard keeps nudging Diablo’s design towards MMORPG-style multiplayer and co-op, there’s no lack of fun for solo players, even if some bosses are better with friends. With off-the-charts production values and compelling characters and combat, Diablo IV is just about as good as the genre can get.

GamePro - Kevin Itzinger - German - 94 / 100

With Diablo 4, Blizzard has created a genre masterpiece that does almost everything right.

XGN.nl - Roland Janssen - Dutch - 9.4 / 10

Blizzard actually pulled it off. Almost all the elements click correctly in the latest part of Diablo. The story, the characters, the dungeons, the endless possibilities with your character, the open world and much more, it works exceptionally well together. That does not mean that the game is completely flawless, because Diablo IV suffers from problems that games of this size often have.

Fextralife - Fexelea - 9.3 / 10

Diablo 4 is an excellent game and a fantastic next step for the ARPG genre. Smartly melding Open World and Online elements with traditional dungeon crawling and loot farming, this game will become the favorite time-sink of millions for years to come.

Game Informer - Marcus Stewart - 9.3 / 10

Diablo IV continually seduces me with its promises of power and riches and regularly follows through. I’ve had a tough time putting it down even after starting fresh numerous times, and I get excited thinking about how I’ll be foiling Lilith’s plans in the months ahead as seasonal updates begin rolling out. Until then, I’m happy to continue relieving Sanctuary of its treasures – and demons of their lives –  in this devilishly impressive epic.

Areajugones - Cristian M. Villa - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Diablo IV is a highly addictive video game that boasts wonderful aesthetics and world-building and level-up design. It is a perfect dark adventure to get lost during a barbarity of dozens of hours and of which you will hardly get tired.

Marooners' Rock - Andrew Peggs - 9.2 / 10

Diablo IV has done a good job of delivering an exciting and enjoyable storyline and providing hours of exciting entertainment, whether playing alone or with companions.

Arabhardware - Arabic - 9 / 10

Diablo IV is a surprise this year, the game provided an indisputable role-playing experience.

Atomix - Alexis Patiño - Spanish - 90 / 100

Diablo IV delivers the sequel we've been expecting for years. It's definetely the best incarnation of the saga with minor flaws that are eclipsed by the excelent gaming experience it provides and the immense replay value it offers.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 9 / 10

Diablo IV has set the golden standard for what a modern Blizzard game should be. It is not only a fantastic Diablo game but gives us a glimpse that the once-beloved publisher still has that magic that it was most well-known for in years past.

ComicBook.com - Adam Barnhardt - 4.5 / 5

Diablo 4 is perfect for both franchise mainstays and newcomers alike. The lore of Sanctuary expands drastically while the game, story and all, is large enough to keep new players busy. The game is built to allow the developers to scale it with ease with battle passes and seasons for a new generation, but it's nowhere close to being empty.

Forbes - Paul Tassi - 9 / 10

Though in theory, an “endgame” playthrough of Diablo 4 is probably 100-200 hours across a larger span of classes, I feel like I can judge what I’ve seen. My impressions are overwhelmingly positive based on what I’ve experienced so far, from the map to the gameplay to the new systems to even the story, which I was not expecting. Blizzard really seems like they’ve nailed this, and I’m going to say the only way this will be poorly received at launch is if technical issues kill people’s ability to play. But once it gets rolling? Yes, I think you’re going to like Diablo 4.

GGRecon - Joshua Boyles - 4.5 / 5

Diablo 4 has taken everything that fans love about the ARPG format and elevated it to new heights. With a fascinating world to explore, a strong cast of characters, and purposeful combat, it sets a new standard for the genre.

The wheel hasn’t been reinvented, and is remains to be seen how the series will adapt to a live service model. Nevertheless, anyone picking up Diablo 4 at launch will find themselves playing a very strong package with plenty of promise.

GRYOnline.pl - Hubert Sosnowski - Polish - 9 / 10

What are we getting? An excellent game that reeks of a game-as-a-service, with tons of satisfying content. Diablo 4 looks like the best hack’n’slash on the market. The best h’n’s for me, a guy well versed in three previous Diablos, Divine Divinity and a bit of Grim Dawn.

Game Rant - Shane Robert Moyer - 4.5 / 5

Blizzard has taken twenty years of game design lessons and put all of them into Diablo 4. The variety of things to do in the game and the plethora of build choices feel like they come from a company that has experienced the highest highs and lowest lows in game development and taken some of those hard-learned lessons to heart. There is a lot of love built into every aspect of Diablo 4, and users will find it in every system and corner of Sanctuary. With the first simultaneous release on PC and consoles in the series' history, Diablo players are finally getting back into the fight between Heaven and Hell, and they will more than likely still be fighting for many years to come.

GameBlast - Alexandre Galvão - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Diablo IV delivers an experience that exceeds the expectations of fans of the franchise, with an exciting variety of classes for players to choose from, each with their own play style and approach. The game's narrative is engaging and captivating, making it accessible even to those with no prior knowledge of the series. The darker, bloodier visuals add to the atmosphere of Diablo and add depth to the experience. Overall, Diablo IV demonstrates a high level of quality and promises to provide a fun experience for both solo and group players.

GameCrate - Lucas White - 9 / 10

That’s the fascinating thing about games like Diablo IV. There’s so much of it, and so much context, I can see so many ways it can be meaningful for players. It’s because of that near-perfect mixture of agency, progression, social texture and depth. The fidelity and polish afforded by Diablo being… Diablo is crucial as well. Diablo IV is a tremendous game in scale and scope, but it still feels authored and managed instead of bloated and frivolous. That it was put together amid so much external and internal strife and holds together as well as it does is a mind-blowing accomplishment. I’m beyond stoked to start it for real soon.

GameSkinny - Will Borger - 9 / 10

Diablo 4 feels like a statement game from Blizzard, a “we’re back” for anyone who was concerned after Diablo 3’s rough launch and the middling reception to Diablo Immortal. It’s the sequel to Diablo 2 people have been waiting for, and it doesn’t disappoint. Diablo 4 is a game about legacies, so it’s fitting that in developing it, Blizzard has re-solidified the franchise’s — and its own.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9 / 10

Diablo 4 may not be the huge leap forward some were hoping for, but it still offers an incredible adventure through a dark, compelling world.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 4.5 / 5

Based on the franchise's history, Diablo IV has large boots to fill, but does an admiral job of meeting this longtime fan's expectations.

Hey Poor Player - Francis DiPersio - 4.5 / 5

While its always-online nature can occasionally result in headaches, Diablo IV ultimately delivers exactly what fans of the franchise deserve: a meticulously crafted action RPG that’s great alone and even better with friends. With a sprawling world to immerse yourself in and near-limitless room for experimentation, thanks to its excellent progression system, Diablo IV is a worthy successor to Diablo III that shouldn’t be missed — and these are just the early days! I can’t wait to see where it goes from here.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 90 / 100

Diablo 4 is the triumphant return of the saga. The game manages to bring back the dark style of Diablo II while boasting a good narrative, gameplay as addictive as ever and some interesting novelties. It only remains to be seen how Blizzard will keep the game, but we can say that the time-eater has returned in style.

IGN - Travis Northup - 9 / 10

Diablo 4 is a stunning sequel with near perfect endgame and progression design that makes it absolutely excruciating to put down.

IGN Spain - Álex Pareja - Spanish - 9 / 10

Diablo IV is tremendously addictive, its combat is formidable and the character building is excellent. More MMO than ever in a new path for the saga.

INVEN - Jaihoon Jeong - Korean - 9 / 10

While the fusion of Diablo franchise and the open world sounded rather unfamiliar at first, the game has succeeded in capturing the charm of both. You can't say the game is perfect as of its initial release, Diablo4 still is one of the strongest quarter view action RPGs.

Infinite Start - Mark Fajardo - 9 / 10

I wouldn’t say Diablo IV reinvents the wheel, but I wouldn’t say it needs to. The core experience is quite fun that is just a pleasurable experience. Add in the endless amounts of content, the ability to play as multiple different classes, and upcoming changes, and it should be a safe choice for anyone looking for their looter fix. Especially if they love everything, Diablo has to offer. So if you’re on the fence, there is no better time to join than now.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100

[Diablo 4] looks and feels great to play, it's full of content without being way too overburdened with systems and age-old mechanics, it's accessible but also gets really hard and challenging for action RPG standards, and it's really great with more people in your party, with a good amount of classes to play around with and tailor to your playstyle. A highly-polished loot-filled gateway drug for newbies and veterans alike; not terribly innovative but incredibly fun to get into.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Samet Basri Taşlı - Turkish - 90 / 100

Diablo IV has successfully brought everything we wished to be in the 3rd game and has the potential to be the best game in the series.

Niche Gamer - Jonathan White - 9 / 10

It ain’t perfect, but provided they continue the course Diablo IV is currently on, this might be the game that bridges the gap and makes Diablo the most accessible and ultimately the most fun it has ever been to players from any background.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 9 / 10

Diablo IV is absolutely essential gaming.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 9 / 10

Diablo IV is an unquestionable win for Blizzard and one of their foundational franchises when it needed it most. An unrelenting commitment to vision, redefined Sanctuary, never-ending player progression, and excellent boss fights are just a few of the reasons Diablo IV isn't held back by uneven pacing and recycled content.

Prima Games - Daphne Fama - 9 / 10

Diablo IV is a game with a deeply involved combat system, a complex and well-established world, and all the hallmarks of my next gaming obsession.

Pure Xbox - Liam Doolan - 9 / 10

You can see why it's taken Blizzard over six years to get this one out the gate when you look at the end product. Diablo 4 is a natural evolution of the series with its new open-world design and gameplay, enhanced social and multiplayer experience, and a live service that promises to keep players returning to the world of Sanctuary for years to come. These strong foundations and scale of the whole experience, combined with the five unique classes and seemingly limitless customisation options for builds, should keep even the most diehard demon slayers busy for a very long time. With all of this in consideration, Diablo 4 is a must-play if you're a veteran of the series and it's a great starting point for newcomers. We can't wait to jump back in! Now, fingers crossed we just don't have another 'Error 37' at launch.

Push Square - Khayl Adam - 9 / 10

Diablo 4 is the true successor to the bad old days of action RPGs and oozes quality in its frenetic combat and deep, engaging character development. It tells a complex, gritty narrative set in the darkly beautiful world of Sanctuary. Even better, it provides a solid foundation for years of Diablo content to come.

SECTOR.sk - Branislav Kohút - Slovak - 9 / 10

Diablo IV does not bring significant innovations, but it's a lot of fun. The gameplay is already a bit outdated, but after appropriate adjustments it is still effective and dynamic. But most important is that Diablo IV is a game you'll be playing over and over again for years to come.

Screen Rant - Carrie Lambertsen - 4.5 / 5

Ultimately, Diablo 4 is a must-play experience for any fan of dungeon-crawler ARPGs.

Sirus Gaming - Kimberly Mae Go - 9 / 10

Diablo 4 presents an epic and visually stunning adventure, enveloping players in a cinematic journey through its immersive open-world. While some areas, like repetitive dungeons and class imbalances, leave room for improvement; Blizzard has laid a solid groundwork that sparks excitement for further exploration of the vast realm of Sanctuary.

Spaziogames - Marcello Paolillo - Italian - 9 / 10

The return of the queen of darkness, as seen so far, seems to be no better than this.

Stevivor - Hamish Lindsay - 9 / 10

Diablo 4 is the triumph an embattled Blizzard needs to steady its ship, and it’s a hell of a lot of fun.

TheGamer - Eric Switzer - 4.5 / 5

Diablo 4 has a solid foundation, but Blizzard is going to have to keep finding new ways to justify this slower take on the series forever, or else revert back to the mindless grind of D3, which isn’t what I want to see. Players are going to push for faster gameplay and less friction, and it's going to be up to Blizzard to stick to its guns here and maintain the vision of Diablo 4, while also managing the natural effects of power creep over time. It’s an unenviable position, but I respect the hell out of this team for choosing the path of most resistance and pursuing a unique identity for this game, especially in light of what Diablo Immortal is and what Overwatch has become.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10

Diablo IV brings you a captivating story, a lot of freedom in your class building and a massive world full of monsters to pulverize and dungeons to explore that will keep you playing for lots of hours to come.

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 4.5 / 5

An incredible looter experience overall. I cannot overstate just how satisfying it is to play Diablo IV on a moment-to-moment basis, and with so much replay value to be had from its various classes and build possibilities within those classes, Diablo IV feels like a true return to form for the series.

We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 4.5 / 5

Diablo IV tows several lines masterfully, be it in its mechanical complexity or the moral ambiguity of its plot. Its greatest achievement, however, is being a great Diablo game.

GAMES.CH - Steffen Haubner - German - 89%

The irresistible gloom is now no longer opposed by hurdles in the form of confusing item and skill management. We enthusiastically throw ourselves against Lilith's hordes and once again sink hour after hour into perfecting our character. Overall, however, there could have been a bit more innovation.

Cerealkillerz - Gabriel Bogdan - German - 8.7 / 10

Diablo 4 is the best what Blizzard delivered in recent years, even when the game often loses itself in delivering more and more content. Tedious sidequests, severe bugs during the campaign and an in-game shop in a full priced title hold the game back a bit but other than that, every newcomer and veteran alike will enjoy it.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 8.6 / 10

As a loot-focused game as a service, Diablo IV currently delivers a satisfying level of quality, offering numerous hours of enjoyable character build. However, I have concerns regarding the game's long-term support and future updates.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 8.6 / 10

The worry remaining is that the balance needs to be struck well in order to maintain Diablo IV as a viable and long-lasting adventure that doesn’t lose its freshness or that the incessant rush to get more powerful gear becomes a chore rather than a thrill. At this juncture, there’s much for players both old and new to dive into, making combat and exploration exciting times, all while pushing the story forward in a new chapter for Sanctuary. The hope is that this will last, and that Blizzard will continue to support the game in all ways. After all, Lilith is coming, and all hail the Mother.

IGN Italy - Stefano Castagnola - Italian - 8.6 / 10

Diablo IV is not without flaws, especially when it comes to its dungeon design and its excessive approach to level scaling, and it's not as innovative as some of the previous entries but it's still a quality game, made with great care and competence. Above all else, though, Diablo's gameplay still offers plenty of fun: it doesn't matter if you're playing as a druid, a rogue or a necromancer, slaying thousands upon thousands of demons is always satisfying.

DualShockers - Emma Ward - 8.5 / 10

Your favorite Action Role Playing Game is back and bloodier than ever. Diablo 4 improves upon nearly every core gameplay mechanic from Diablo 3 while introducing a few great quality-of-life features that make this journey to Sanctuary the best yet. While some of the quest systems seem dated, the main story is delivered beautifully, breathing new life into the series.

Everyeye.it - Antonello Gaeta - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Diablo 4 is a canvas on which developers could, over the next few months, paint a true masterpiece.

Gamer Guides - Nathan Garvin - 8.5 / 10

With a compelling new antagonist, a serviceable, character-driven story, and a familiarly satisfying gameplay loop with an incredible amount of depth, Diablo 4 is a worthy entry into the franchise that threatens to burn away many hours of your life.

PC Gamer - Tyler Colp - 85 / 100

Diablo 4 is packed with powerful class builds and exciting loot to find, but clouds its most creative aspects with an overly bleak world and restrictive endgame systems.

PSX Brasil - Paulo Roberto Montanaro - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Diablo IV is, without a doubt, a great success that takes the best of its previous iterations, especially Diablo II, and takes advantage of the potential of an intense open world. With mechanics refined for today, hundreds of hours of gameplay, and the promise of an aggressive post-launch content, this game is the ultimate in the eternal battle between evil and… the other party.

Wccftech - Alessio Palumbo - 8.5 / 10

Diablo IV is a return to form at a much needed time for Blizzard. It delivers incredibly fun hack and slash action combat, a greatly improved skill system, and a ton of things to do, not to mention the best story told in the franchise yet. It also looks awesome, sounds great, and runs well (except for rare instances of traversal stuttering).

WellPlayed - Ash Wayling - 8.5 / 10

Diablo IV is a must-play for fans of the series and newcomers alike. It invites you to lose yourself in a world of darkness and embark on a thrilling journey filled with relentless battles, captivating storytelling, and a hauntingly beautiful audio-visual symphony. Just ignore the extraneous limb reaching for your wallet.

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 85%

Diablo IV boasts a new look, with its new open-world and online format, but at its heart, it’s very much a classic Diablo experience. A little old-school still, sure, but the core combat is still as fun and addictive as ever, and there’s RPG mechanics for days to sink your teeth into. What’s not to love?

Attack of the Fanboy - Thomas Cunliffe - 4 / 5

With engaging combat, an immersive atmosphere, and a compelling story, Diablo IV rekindles the flame of one of Blizzard's most beloved franchises. Though the current live service content plan somewhat hinders its potential, Diablo IV will satisfy the hunger of series veterans and any new player seeking a quality action RPG.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5

You’ll kill a lot of demons, beat a few bosses and enjoy going off on side quests to delve further into the lore of the series.

Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Digital Trends - Gabriel Moss - 4 / 5

Diablo 4's wealth of loot and meaningful customization systems make up for most of its frustrating MMO concessions.

Eurogamer - Chris Tapsell - 4 / 5

Like the Blizzard hits of old, Diablo 4 is a designer's game at heart, built on intricacy and depth. A sense of fearful overcompensation holds it back.

GameSpot - Alessandro Barbosa - 8 / 10

Diablo IV's surprisingly moving and engrossing story encapsulates gameplay systems that have learnt all the right lessons from entries past.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Diablo 4 is extremely generous. A clear evolution of the franchise and a real comeback.

GamesHub - Emily Spindler - 4 / 5

Diablo 4 is a behemoth of a game, boasting a gothic world that goes beyond the engaging hack-and-slash gameplay loop.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 8 / 10

A fan-pleasing sequel that makes effective use of its new open world structure and some welcome nuance in the storytelling and character customisation.

PCMag - Will Greenwald - 4 / 5

Diablo IV is a beautiful, massive new chapter in the classic hack-and-slash series that features a wildly addicting hunt for fresh gear.

PlayStation Universe - Neil Bolt - 8 / 10

Diablo IV takes the series to new heights, but also spends plenty of time covering familar ground. The compelling rush for loot is as strong as it has ever been, and visually, the game is spectacular. It doesn't exactly feel like a massive leap from Diablo III yet its focus on the series' core strengths ensures that's likely more than enough for long-time fans.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

So far, the Diablo 4 experience has been nothing short of very good, the story has been very interesting and it finally returns to what distinguished the series in terms of storytelling before the release of the third installment. The game offered a very solid base of content, activities, addictive gameplay, and a variety of character-building ways that any Action RPG should offer. This is knowing that there are some important issues that appeared at the beginning of the experiment as we mentioned in the full review.

Shacknews - Josh Broadwell - 8 / 10

Blizzard opts for refinement over innovation with Diablo 4, but it's still a devilishly good time.

Siliconera - Kazuma Hashimoto - 8 / 10

Diablo IV features a compelling antagonist in Lilith, and while it tries to present more interesting ideas into the series by the way of story, it ends up retreading old ground in more ways than one.

Slant Magazine - Ryan Aston - 4 / 5

While the plethora of ugly scandals hanging over Activision Blizzard has been frustratingly overlooked by the gaming public, it will be difficult for most to overlook the aggressive monetization of Diablo IV. In addition to different (and expensive) editions of the game that allowed earlier play and a shop that sells cosmetic items, Diablo IV has three different Battle Passes and two expansions in the works. It’s unnecessary, and taken alongside major updates that have already dramatically changed how some of the classes function, Diablo IV stands on unsteady ground despite possessing a strong foundation, far above its series forebearers.

The Game Crater - Jayden Hellyar - 8 / 10

With stunning graphics, a dark, bleak atmosphere, and a wealth of loot to collect, Diablo 4 offers a thrilling experience for fans of the series and action RPG enthusiasts alike.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 4 / 5

It's a damn good entry to the series as a whole, and will give the vast majority of its players a bloody good time.

NoobFeed - Sarwar Ron - 75 / 100

Diablo IV is a good APRG as a whole, and the late-game material will keep you coming back for more, and unlike previous Diablo games, it will attract players unfamiliar with the series. However, the quality and popularity of that season's content will determine the show's long-term viability. The core content of Diablo IV is good, and while I believe there's space for improvements and I wish Blizzard had taken some bigger strokes and tried some more original ideas, they still could have used some work. The game is a lot of fun if you're an ARPG fan, and its attention to detail will impress you.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 7 / 10

Diablo 4 will provide dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of entertainment for those seeking a solid action RPG looter. However, some may be left wanting by the story, power fantasy and some of the endgame.

LevelUp - Luis Sánchez - Spanish - 7 / 10

Diablo IV remained stuck in the past while trying to find innovation without generating friction with fans who have played the franchise for over two decades; It feels like the ghost of Diablo Immortal continues to haunt the halls of Blizzard. The game is more of a reinvention of the classic experience, focusing on a games-as-a-service format to ensure another decade of content for Diablo.

M3 - Billy Ekblom - Swedish - 3.5 / 5

Diablo 4 is bigger, better, and far more sinister than it has been in a long time. As a single player, the campaign gets a little tedious at times, but the big reward comes, as you know, only after that.

Guardian - Nic Reuben - 3 / 5

Behind the screams and stunningly-costumed demons, this is escapist junk food for gamers – which may be exactly what you're after

Ars Technica - Aaron Zimmerman - Unscored

Each class has a gimmick-or "specialization"-that unlocks as you progress through the game. The Barbarian, for instance, can lug around a huge arsenal of weapons and gains "expertise" with each as you use them, granting buffs and special effects. The Necromancer can choose between different types of minions or sacrifice them to extract their power. The Rogue has three specialization options, one of which is a WoW-like combo-points system. Every class has its own personality and quirks, and they're all a blast to play.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - Unscored

Whilst Diablo IV could have done more to advance the genre or perfect its writing and tone across the entire experience, there’s no denying just how impactful this release is, especially for those of us who grew up alongside the series.

Chicas Gamers - Raúl Pinto - Spanish - Unscored

Diablo IV started as a roguelike to become in MMORPG or RPG project with mandatory online. It is a game that loses certain aspects due to online, which does not work as it should, but has rescued many of the elements that made Diablo II great with the more positive elements of Diablo III. All this on a very well planned and executed map, an impeccable aesthetic, a lot of gore and an impeccable dubbing of very memorable characters.

Console Creatures - David Pietrangelo - Recommended

Diablo 4 is an impressive and massive conquest of demons, loot, exploration, and wildly fun mechanics. It's already clear that this game brings tons of new content to the franchise and handles it incredibly well.

MMORPG.com - Robin Baird - Unscored

As I’ve mentioned a few times, there are still several things I haven’t had the chance to mess with or get into yet. There’s a ton of content in Diablo IV and digging into it all will take some time. Additionally, seeing how everything goes on launch and immediately after will significantly impact how enjoyable it is. Lastly, seeing the shop's actual impact on everything is also a considerable aspect that will need to play out. We know what we’ve been told, and looking at the information given to us, it should be fine. Certainly nothing like Diablo Immortal. Seeing all these aspects in the live game will be the final bits needed to put a score to Diablo IV.

Polygon - Alexis Ong - Unscored

More busywork doesn’t lessen the series-signature lootfest appeal

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored

Diablo IV is a beautiful, frictionless grey toybox that puts nothing in the way of you playing it for hours and wondering what you've done with your life.

SIFTER - Adam Christou - Worth your time

Diablo IV offers a strong opening impression. It has a rich, detailed story campaign, filled with spectacle and gore. Its combat and game-feel is so satisfying. The classes feel distinct and play quite differently from each other.  It feels so good to burst down screens of demons with spells and swords. Will it live up to other competitors in the ARPG space? It’s too soon to tell, but what’s here so far is extremely promising especially for players looking to enjoy an impressive horror story.

The Games Machine - Alessandro Alosi - Italian - Unscored

The Devil has been summoned, Sanctuary is again one step away from the apocalypse and finally it's up to us to unleash weapons, armor, magic and reflexes of the past to prevent the darkness from spreading. Diablo IV is only the first convincing stage of a long journey, but it is also an ARPG that takes your head and violently sticks it into the guts of an open world from which it becomes increasingly difficult to detach thanks to addictive gameplay and a deep customization of your alter ego. The vote already so would be important, but between the shortcomings of the build, multiplayer not received and technical flaws already on the list of things to do, there could be room for maneuver to aim higher.

TheSixthAxis - Gareth Chadwick - Unscored

After my first weekend with Diablo IV, I’m certainly enjoying the excellent action RPG battling and character variety, but I also have a few reservations. The full level scaling and lack of procedural generation means that there’s fewer surprises to be had, and this shift to a more persistent MMO-like map misses some of why I enjoy Diablo so much. Of course, there’s plenty more to see and do, and I’ll keep forging ahead to see the endgame.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Tangentially: I feel like the summary information from OpenCritic should list the percentile of the rating. "89" doesn't sound that great, but when you switch to the chart view, you find that places it in 99th percentile of all games. (We'll, it's up to 90 now, but still, 88-90 is the range for the 99th percentile bucket)

Overall, I'm very excited for this one, and it will be coming off the heels of the amazing TOTK.

6 hours ago, legend said:

Tangentially: I feel like the summary information from OpenCritic should list the percentile of the rating. "89" doesn't sound that great, but when you switch to the chart view, you find that places it in 99th percentile of all games. (We'll, it's up to 90 now, but still, 88-90 is the range for the 99th percentile bucket)

Overall, I'm very excited for this one, and it will be coming off the heels of the amazing TOTK.

7.9'd

• Shocked 1

I feel like the already toxic discourse around this game is going to get worse. People just expect too much. They want endless meaningful content right out the gate, perfect balance, and post-launch support that doesn’t have a whiff of monetization on it. If Blizzard fails to deliver slightly on any of these people are going to act like Diablo 4 killed their dog and fucked their wife.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Moa said:

I feel like the already toxic discourse around this game is going to get worse. People just expect too much. They want endless meaningful content right out the gate, perfect balance, and post-launch support that doesn’t have a whiff of monetization on it. If Blizzard fails to deliver slightly on any of these people are going to act like Diablo 4 killed their dog and fucked their wife.

I'll be getting Diablo day one, but my friend is going to wait. When I asked him why, he said he was going to wait for "a patch or two" for them to get the launch window behind them and balance the classes. I tried to explain to him that Diablo IV is going to be constantly evolving, and if he's waiting for it to be "finished" he's going to be waiting a long time. Even Diablo III was getting balance patches like, ten years later.

17 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'll be getting Diablo day one, but my friend is going to wait. When I asked him why, he said he was going to wait for "a patch or two" for them to get the launch window behind them and balance the classes. I tried to explain to him that Diablo IV is going to be constantly evolving, and if he's waiting for it to be "finished" he's going to be waiting a long time. Even Diablo III was getting balance patches like, ten years later.

You're right that it will effectively never be finished, but I'm betting the launch is going to a shit show of problems all the same. Has Battle.net ever worked smoothly in the first week of a game's release? :p 

• True 1

4 minutes ago, legend said:

You're right that it will effectively never be finished, but I'm betting the launch is going to a shit show of problems all the same. Has Battle.net ever worked smoothly in the first week of a game's release? :p 

That's fair, and I don't blame him for waiting out the initial server shitshow. But he wasn't talking like, a few days. He was talking like it was Battlefield.

• Like 1

diablo-4-x-kfc.jpg
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

If you're eager to unlock some punny weapons in the game, then you'll need to take advantage of the limited-time Diablo 4 x KFC offer.

It was almost a month ago that news started surfacing regarding a chicken-themed partnership between Diablo 4’s developer, Blizzard Entertainment, and KFC. This campaign has now been dropped (read: shadow-dropped), and in exchange for ordering KFC online or through the KFC app, Diablo 4 players can unlock exclusive weapon cosmetics in-game.

It’s the Diablo 4 x KFC partnership, and it’s actually not that bad. They’re ‘punny’, which makes it better, and there are five to unlock in total. They’re not all related to purchases, though – you can unlock one cosmetic simply by linking your Battle.net account with your KFC account.

I am excited for this, but I will probably also wait a few weeks for things to settle down. D3 ended up being fantastic (though I still think POE is far more replayable, and I wish D4 had taken more cues from it, especially with currency/crafting), but the first 6ish months were pretty rough. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: KFC cosmetic items unlock information

I wonder if I'll ever understand the appeal of ARPGs. I've played a bit of each Diablo and PoE, including the beta for this, and it just never seems appealing to me in the slightest. They're obviously not for me, but I just can never see what the appeal actually is. They seem so monotonous and repetitive and do people still get a rush from getting loot drops? And then the concept of seasons where you just play another throwaway character, I just can never seem to figure out what part actually draws people in. Or why it being super dark and gritty is appealing as your dude does a ballerina twirl with a giant sword like a D-tier anime.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wonder if I'll ever understand the appeal of ARPGs. I've played a bit of each Diablo and PoE, including the beta for this, and it just never seems appealing to me in the slightest. They're obviously not for me, but I just can never see what the appeal actually is. They seem so monotonous and repetitive and do people still get a rush from getting loot drops? And then the concept of seasons where you just play another throwaway character, I just can never seem to figure out what part actually draws people in. Or why it being super dark and gritty is appealing as your dude does a ballerina twirl with a giant sword like a D-tier anime.

Loot and grind, loot and grind, then loot and grind. And if you happen to have extra time left, loot and grind! 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

In high school, my friend and I played D2 to an absurd degree. Even then we joked about how the game was dumb because were "just clicking on things to death" but still couldn't get enough of it. So I do understand your confusion over the appeal!

That said, to not be overly reductive, the appeal back then was in thinking through creative new builds. The fact that you couldn't respec in D2 and that getting good items was difficult was kind of a critical feature to this though. It meant you really had to plan out and dedicate yourself to a build. It made what you did unique, even if it sucked, because people wouldn't just be throwing everything at the wall like you can when respec and acquiring the right items is easy.

A large fraction of my game time was spent not in the game fighting, but with a calculator on diabloii.net crunching numbers and planning out new ideas. And when those ideas finally paid off and you had a great new unique build, it was wildly rewarding.

D3 missed that and screwed it up. It was mediocre, IMO, as a result. I'm not sure D4 will have it other. They seem to have made the core gameplay more smooth and fun, but it's possible they'll still fail to capture and motivate the dedication required creativity. But that, at least, was the seed of why this game was appealing.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes I like the kinda brainless loop of killing stuff to level up and get more skills/loot to kill things more efficiently, but it never lasts long. I'll probably end up buying this next week, but it'll be a game that I just poke at occasionally. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Sometimes I like the kinda brainless loop of killing stuff to level up and get more skills/loot to kill things more efficiently, but it never lasts long. 

See this is how I always imagined it was, but on streams where people are talking about the price and microtransactions and not they're saying things like "$70 isn't that much for a game you're gonna be playing for the next 10 years" and I'm like WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IN THIS GAME TO KEEP IT FUN FOR 10 YEARS

I'll get my $100 out of it. Summer is usually pretty lean so it'll get me through to Starfield. I have no plans on doing season 34 or whatever. But I'll do the first couple, have some fun and by the end of that I'll have had my fill. Sadly, 30 years or so of playing RPG's have conditioned my brain to like seeing numbers slowly increase just so you can doing stuff to slowly see numbers increase. So yeah getting that +5 sword sadly does give me that dopamine hit to keep going til i get the next one. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Book of Lorath - Episode 4: The End of Days"
2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

With Diablo, Blizzard basically cracked the code on human brain reward responses for a virtual experience. Along the way each of the games had really good polish (D3 launch being somewhat of an exception). It's one of the thing, even with the sounds that the loot drops make effectively almost have a pavlovian effect. Having played all the Diablo's extensively just the noise of a legendary drop in the background gets my attention and piques my curiosity. They've mastered digital crack.

That said, I agree with you on the seasonal characters. That does not appeal to me as much. D3 seasons at one point had the right mix for me in that they were a chase for seasonal gear sets. 

55 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

With Diablo, Blizzard basically cracked the code on human brain reward responses for a virtual experience. Along the way each of the games had really good polish (D3 launch being somewhat of an exception). It's one of the thing, even with the sounds that the loot drops make effectively almost have a pavlovian effect. Having played all the Diablo's extensively just the noise of a legendary drop in the background gets my attention and piques my curiosity. They've mastered digital crack.

That said, I agree with you on the seasonal characters. That does not appeal to me as much. D3 seasons at one point had the right mix for me in that they were a chase for seasonal gear sets. 

I think I've just been overexposed to a billion different loot systems, so when I see an explosion of loot from a boss in Diablo (during the beta) I was just like "goddamn this is so much busywork" I think I personally prefer much much less loot with rare items actually being very rare. I think PSO was the closest Diablo-style game I ever truly clicked with. Seeing those red (or later rainbow I think) boxes and not knowing what they were was quite exciting.

But this, on the other hand...

mqdefault.jpg

It's soo much. It's like fuck man, you took something kinda fun and made it a chore.

I'm kinda torn, I still want to try out Diablo 4, maybe see if this time it'll somehow hook me when it never did before. I think we all know how that'd turn out but I'm still so curious. If I just at least found the act of combat fun like so many others did maybe it'd be worth it.

38 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think I've just been overexposed to a billion different loot systems, so when I see an explosion of loot from a boss in Diablo (during the beta) I was just like "goddamn this is so much busywork" I think I personally prefer much much less loot with rare items actually being very rare. I think PSO was the closest Diablo-style game I ever truly clicked with. Seeing those red (or later rainbow I think) boxes and not knowing what they were was quite exciting.

But this, on the other hand...

mqdefault.jpg

It's soo much. It's like fuck man, you took something kinda fun and made it a chore.

I'm kinda torn, I still want to try out Diablo 4, maybe see if this time it'll somehow hook me when it never did before. I think we all know how that'd turn out but I'm still so curious. If I just at least found the act of combat fun like so many others did maybe it'd be worth it.

I agree with you on too much loot. Division felt that way. When you're min/maxing for better roles it gets dull fast.  Diablo 3 launched with the opposite problem in that useful loot was too rare so people mainly geared up via the auction house (which got removed in the expansion).  So it's all about the right mix. The server slam felt just about right whereas the first beta weekends were intentionally overtuned for loot drops to allow people to get to Ashava.