Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of the Construct" announcement trailer (January 23)

Bacon

Something about D4 isn't clicking with me the way that D3 did, but I'm not sure what it is. I've tried four classes so far, but none have made me want to continue playing. I am going to force myself to beat the campaign on at least one, hoping that it will get better later on. It's weird, because I put hundreds of hours into D3.

19 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Something about D4 isn't clicking with me the way that D3 did, but I'm not sure what it is. I've tried four classes so far, but none have made me want to continue playing. I am going to force myself to beat the campaign on at least one, hoping that it will get better later on. It's weird, because I put hundreds of hours into D3.

My opinion, it’s the 1:1 level scaling. You never feel like the leveling and looting is really making a difference. Enemies instantly match at any attempt at improving your character. For me, it may be the worst I’ve ever seen in a video game. I’m still enjoying the game but it’s starting to get to where I can’t overlook it anymore. 

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

47 minutes ago, nublood said:

My opinion, it’s the 1:1 level scaling. You never feel like the leveling and looting is really making a difference. Enemies instantly match at any attempt at improving your character. For me, it may be the worst I’ve ever seen in a video game. I’m still enjoying the game but it’s starting to get to where I can’t overlook it anymore. 

This sounds horrible. 

I get level scaling to a certain extent. You don't want to get overleveled and have the game be boring/too easy. There's maybe also the idea that you can do as little or as much of the side content as you want, and still be ready to tackle the next main mission. That goes against our sensibilities as long time gamers (stuck on a boss? Go grind some levels) but might be an attempt to bring in a more casual audience. Does a new Diablo game need a casual audience? I don't know, I'm just making shit up over here. 

I will say, that it’s not as bad with my Rogue character. But it’s definitely still there. My Barbarian on the other hand is level 32 and just constantly gets it handed to him. I’ve respec’d, rebuilt, reconfigured etc. I’ve basically felt like a level 1 character the entire game. Maybe I’m playing it wrong. lol

20 hours ago, nublood said:

18 hours ago, best3444 said:

I hate level scaling in games. Why level?

What makes a difference in D4 is your skills and gear. You’ll have this period where you feel like your power just shoots up. But then you feel a bit more stagnant until you get legendaries, and then more legendaries and specific aspects to help your build. But then after that … I imagine it’s just Diablo end game. A cycle of increasing difficulty to get better loot to increase difficulty for better loot. 

7 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

So if I haven't finished the campaign on WT1 but want to change to WT2 would I just continue as normal from where I currently am?

Yes. You’re not restarting the game, just choosing to make the world harder but more rewarding. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, best3444 said:

I hate level scaling in games. Why level?

It works really really well for open world and for co-op.  You can jump in with just about any friend and it just always works.

Otherwise you have to worry a lot about whos what level ect.

I agree to some extent about the leveling, but you can still make yourself feel extremely powerful through your build and gear.  The enemies may always be your level, but will not scale to your power level if you make the right build and get the right gear.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

So if I haven't finished the campaign on WT1 but want to change to WT2 would I just continue as normal from where I currently am?

I maybe wrong, but don't think you can do the Capstone Dungeon til you complete the main campaign, and you can't advance to WT2 until you complete the Capstone Dungeon.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

It works really really well for open world and for co-op.  You can jump in with just about any friend and it just always works.

Otherwise you have to worry a lot about whos what level ect.

I agree to some extent about the leveling, but you can still make yourself feel extremely powerful through your build and gear.  The enemies may always be your level, but will not scale to your power level if you make the right build and get the right gear.

That makes more sense. Thank you. 

21 hours ago, Firewithin said:

bumped up to WT2 and immediately was getting my ass kicked at a stronghold lol.  i got through it but had more doubled the deaths i had up to that point

From what I've read, the return on WT2 is not worth the extra time it takes to clear dungeons, and that it's best to complete the campaign on WT1. WT3 has a jump in loot that is worth it!

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

From what I've read, the return on WT2 is not worth the extra time it takes to clear dungeons, and that it's best to complete the campaign on WT1. WT3 has a jump in loot that is worth it!

Interesting. I bumped up to 2 when I was still in act 1 because it was getting a little boring. I guess if I start to get frustrated at any point, I can go back down and not feel bad about it! 

I’ll chime in on the level scaling/something missing. 

I’m running a Barbarian and felt the exact same way. Weapons felt pointless and everything was a struggle. But now at level 40(running WT2) I’m starting to crush everything and I’m one shoting a fair number of enemies. This version really is more about getting your skills to a place where they’re combing off each other as well as your weapon. I picked up a new Axe and there was a noticeable bump in damage. So for those struggling I’d say just stick with it. It does eventually get to the feel you’re looking for. 

• Halal 2

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Welp.. That may be why I'm hitting brick walls with almost every encounter. I'm at the Den Mother now and getting the bloody floor mopped with my corpse. How do you change world tiers? It's probably easy but I'm not at home at the moment 

1 minute ago, eventide11 said:

Welp.. That may be why I'm hitting brick walls with almost every encounter. I'm at the Den Mother now and getting the bloody floor mopped with my corpse. How do you change world tiers? It's probably easy but I'm not at home at the moment 

Just visit the tree in the centre of Kyovashed, and you can change your world tier.

17 hours ago, eventide11 said:

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just visit the tree in the centre of Kyovashed, and you can change your world tier.

I think it’s meant to be a statue, but yes. Also you can do it from the character select screen before you load into the game. 

• Halal 1

I'm starting to get into the game and I'm not enjoying it quite as much as I did during the beta. I know the beta had loot turned up a knotch, so overall my gear is just worse, but I'm not enjoying the loop of my builds as much.

First I tried what I used in the beta, a Frozen Orb / Hydra build for my Sorc. I enjoyed the loop, but it didn't feel very effective. Especially during boss battles, it was a lot of running around waiting for mana to regen, and it didn't really feel great at dealing with masses of enemies. That was all on world tier 2, so maybe it wouldn't have felt so bad on tier 1.

When looking for builds, it seems everyone suggested some kind of lightning build, so I swapped to one that uses charged bolts, frost nova, and coursing currents. I think it is stronger than my last build, but now instead of mana I'm running around waiting for my cooldowns to finish, running in and nuking things; repeat. I moved to world tier 1 part way through trying this, and it does shred on the easier level, but I'm not loving the loop. Still, I'm only level 30 and don't exactly have great gear, so it's hard to say how different it'll feel when I get further along.

I started playing a Rogue, but I've only gotten to ~lvl 12, so I haven't really given it a fair shake yet.

Definitely enjoying it more on WT1, but want to try out a few more things before moving towards the end game. What builds have you all been having fun with?

26 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm starting to get into the game and I'm not enjoying it quite as much as I did during the beta. I know the beta had loot turned up a knotch, so overall my gear is just worse, but I'm not enjoying the loop of my builds as much.

First I tried what I used in the beta, a Frozen Orb / Hydra build for my Sorc. I enjoyed the loop, but it didn't feel very effective. Especially during boss battles, it was a lot of running around waiting for mana to regen, and it didn't really feel great at dealing with masses of enemies. That was all on world tier 2, so maybe it wouldn't have felt so bad on tier 1.

When looking for builds, it seems everyone suggested some kind of lightning build, so I swapped to one that uses charged bolts, frost nova, and coursing currents. I think it is stronger than my last build, but now instead of mana I'm running around waiting for my cooldowns to finish, running in and nuking things; repeat. I moved to world tier 1 part way through trying this, and it does shred on the easier level, but I'm not loving the loop. Still, I'm only level 30 and don't exactly have great gear, so it's hard to say how different it'll feel when I get further along.

I started playing a Rogue, but I've only gotten to ~lvl 12, so I haven't really given it a fair shake yet.

Definitely enjoying it more on WT1, but want to try out a few more things before moving towards the end game. What builds have you all been having fun with?

When I switched to WT1 I'm having a lot better and less frustrating time. Bosses and mobs are challenging but not tiresome sponges to every thing I throw at them 

I’m playing Necromancer, and I’m throwing Bones and exploding corpses. It’s pretty simple, but I’m having fun with it. I like having all my skeleton boys with me, but I haven’t put a ton of points into buffing them, so I’m experimenting with sacrificing them to get stronger elsewhere. 

EDIT: finished act 2, level 30. Dropped the skeletons, rolling with just my golem best friend. 

I’m struggling with figuring out what gear I need to hang on to.

I keep finding sorc gear with +x to skills that I’m not using, just in case I swap builds, but I’m guessing that’s probably a waste of inventory space.

What I’m less sure about is are the legendary weapons that I’m finding. I’m lvl 43 and it’s pretty rare to find a legendary weapon, and most of them have aspects that I haven’t seen before. Should I be extracting those aspects by default (or just saving them to extract later), or should I just salvage anything I don’t have a reason to use anytime soon?

I don’t have a great sense of how rare it is to find a given aspect, and when looking up builds, it seems like some really helpful aspects can only be found randomly. So should I just store or extract every new one I find, or is it not really a big deal to find one again?

i probably wouldn’t care, but I guess I’ve now reached a level where I need to salvage legendary weapons in order to imprint an aspect, but I’ve only found legendary weapons with aspects I’ve never found before. This is especially annoying since my current build kinda relies on an aspect on my weapon. So if I want to keep using that aspect, I need to imprint it on a new weapon, but I can’t since I haven’t been salvaging the few legendary weapons I’ve found.

Generally hoard in any way you want. That can be half the fun of these games. If you got advance tooltips on you can see how good the roll is on a legendary aspect if it is Max or near max and you don’t need it now there’s shouldn’t be a harm in extracting it to save for later. If it’s a very low roll, maybe not extract it unless you need it and would rather infuse it to a different item. 

many recommended not infusing codex’s and aspects right now because you’re going to keep getting better and better gear, so it would be a waste of resources. I do it a bit to help gear catch up, because I was level 46 with legendary gauntlets that were for lvl 20. But the obbol vender is a good place to try and get legendaries too. Economically speaking cheaper than essentially crafting them. 

Well, it seems I'd fallen into a classic blunder of fundamentally not knowing how the game works.

I started using a build that was very dependent on a certain aspect and imprinted that on my weapon. I didn't realize that weapon DPS does actually affect spell damage, so I didn't replace my weapon for maybe 20 levels because I needed that aspect and didn't have the mats to imprint it on the newer weapons I'd found.

I also found out the mat requirements are different for different types of equipment, so I was able to imprint that aspect on my gloves and started to use weapons that are more at level and my DPS shot up instantly. I kinda thought that the game was just getting a bit harder as things went along and I was running into tankier baddies, but no, I was just handicapping myself by not paying attention.