Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of the Construct" announcement trailer (January 23)

Bacon

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

She was Adam's first wife and she was cast out of Eden because she wanted to be in the dominant position during sexual intercourse.

Also wasn't she supposedly created right alongside Adam out of dust where Eve was created from Adam's rib? Hence she was Adam's "equal"?

social-sharing-d4-7e3539fcc0f4075622915b
NEWS.BLIZZARD.COM

The Diablo IV Early Access and Open Beta weekends gave players the opportunity to see Sanctuary anew. As we look forward to launch, we’ve used player feedback and gameplay data to inform a series of updates to various systems. Come see what’s changed!

as expected nerfs to necro and sorcerer lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:
NEWS.BLIZZARD.COM

The Diablo IV Early Access and Open Beta weekends gave players the opportunity to see Sanctuary anew. As we look forward to launch, we’ve used player feedback and gameplay data to inform a series of updates to various systems. Come see what’s changed!

I'm pretty sure that every single person who played as a Sorcerer during the beta said to themselves "OLOLOLOLOLO - this is SOOOO getting nerfed!"

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Open Beta Retrospective: Transforming Feedback Into Change" blog post
5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"Baffling" is absolutely the way I'd describe this:

aBs5632Fh32RDtQFZdwhiZ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

An often vital QoL feature for ARPGs is purposefully being left out by Blizzard.

I'm honestly with them on this. The full minimap overlay in ARPGs pretty quickly becomes the primary control surface and the game becomes the background. It's a useful tool but it allows players to min-max the fun out of the game really fast.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Gold" status announced
On 4/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, Firewithin said:
NEWS.BLIZZARD.COM

On the one hand I hate nerfs, but on the other hand Necro was waaaaaaayy too easy. 

I wasn’t sure if that was the point and Necro and sorcerer would have lower ceilings. But with so few classes it would kind of suck to have entire play styles and characters set aside as “beginner”. 

I hope they balance them better though. Not to over correct and the characters just feel unplayable without somebody tanking until they get to level 30+

anyone else still a little worried end game is gonna end up being closer to a predatory monetized mess like Diablo Immortal? Like, even if day one it isn’t, but then I could see Blizzard 3-6 months in introduce pay to win micro transactions that are practically needed  to progress. 

23 hours ago, Moa said:

I'm honestly with them on this. The full minimap overlay in ARPGs pretty quickly becomes the primary control surface and the game becomes the background. It's a useful tool but it allows players to min-max the fun out of the game really fast.

I begrudgingly agree. Playing Diablo 2 again made me realize how much I'm primarily looking at the map overlay and looking at the game second. Playing the Diablo 4 beta without it and looking at the game world (which is much more interactive) was nice.

I can see why people would want it back, but the game is probably better without it.

16 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I begrudgingly agree. Playing Diablo 2 again made me realize how much I'm primarily looking at the map overlay and looking at the game second. Playing the Diablo 4 beta without it and looking at the game world (which is much more interactive) was nice.

I can see why people would want it back, but the game is probably better without it.

I also agree on this too. I think it also makes sense now that the game is not randomized. Eventually players will memorize the world and not even need the map. I know I had a pretty good feel for the areas just in the 2 beta weekends.

6 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

I also agree on this too. I think it also makes sense now that the game is not randomized. Eventually players will memorize the world and not even need the map. I know I had a pretty good feel for the areas just in the 2 beta weekends.

I believe that the open world is static, but the dungeons will be randomly generated.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:15 PM, TwinIon said:

I do think the whole thing begs a pretty important question about game design. A well-designed game should be most fun when played most optimally. If playing the game on the cutting edge is a worse experience than playing at a middling level, the game's design is flawed. That said, I can think of very few games that actually live up to this standard, and I wish designers put more effort into designing systems where the fun can't be min-maxed out. The recent DOOM games are the only example I can think of where truly the better I got and the harder the game became the more fun I had until my wrists fell off from frantic weapon swapping.

I like that Blizzard is at least trying with Diablo 4. I think the benefits of not having a map overlay probably outweigh the costs, but not including QOL features to try to enhance immersion seems like a pretty inelegant way to force players to have fun.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

I do think the whole thing begs a pretty important question about game design. A well-designed game should be most fun when played most optimally. If playing the game on the cutting edge is a worse experience than playing at a middling level, the game's design is flawed.

I mostly agree with you, but I acknowledge that it's much harder than it would seem.

This is something that comes up all the time in Destiny 2 (and I imagine is the case in most other MMOs). There will be often be some terribly boring thing that turns out to be the most efficient way to grind out something, and a huge portion of the population will rush over to do that boring activity over and over rather than just play the game. Take that grind away and you're guaranteed to see wailing and gnashing of teeth in the community.

There's also the issue that if you build your game around what the very top players are going to do, you could very well end up with something that the majority of players don't enjoy. After 2000 hours I've got a finely tuned loadout for every situation, and if you make that the baseline for enjoyment, most people will have a bad time.

12 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Mythology? So we're still calling others beliefs lies to fit a narrative and posture to the board peers.. Got it. The more things change

The religiously practicing Jewish academic whose videos I posted routinely refers to the stories of Lilith as being part of the corpus Jewish mythological literature.

l3KHmOh.png?fb
IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

I've never thought of the word mythology as being pejorative.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV (06 June 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Server Slam" playtest announced for May 13-14, all previous beta rewards earnable
RsJCDJJE5vUA7uJCf2wMzb-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Surprise: You'll be able to earn previous beta rewards and new ones during the "Server Slam."

Diablo 4 will be playable to anyone for another weekend to test server stability in May, Blizzard announced in a stream today.

The Diablo 4 "Server Slam" playtest will go from May 12 through May 14 and will let you earn the previous beta rewards(opens in new tab) as well as a new one for defeating the world boss, Ashava.

The beta will take place in the same location, the Fractured Peaks, as the last ones. Characters from the previous two beta weekends will not carry over to the Server Slam test and any progress you make during it won't carry over to launch. You'll have to choose from one of the game's five classes and play a new character up until the Server Slam's level 20 cap.

• Early download: May 10 at 12 pm PT
  • Beta start time: May 13 at 9 am PT
  • Beta end time: May 14 at 9 am PT

If you hit level 20 and defeat Ashava, who will spawn every 3 hours over the course of the weekend, you'll earn the Cry of Ashava mount trophy. And as in the last beta, reaching the city of Kyovashad will earn you the Initial Casualty title and hitting level 20 will earn you the Early Voyager title and the beta wolf pack cosmetic item.

6 hours ago, Moa said:

l3KHmOh.png?fb
IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

I've never thought of the word mythology as being pejorative.

i’ve never seen someone stan lilith so hard in my life 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:45 PM, eventide11 said:

Mythology? So we're still calling others beliefs lies to fit a narrative and posture to the board peers.. Got it. The more things change

huh?

I don't get your point? You expect the rest of us to hold the bible and Miqra (I have a close jewish friend who is adamant it's not the "Jewish Bible") as truth because some others may believe? 

It's mythology to the majority of us. Theres very little historical fact in either. 

It's one thing to respect the beliefs of others, but that doesn't include pretending it's believable as well, or being willing to treat them as anything but ancient stories and rituals.