The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Part 1 has some of the best visuals on PS5 so I'll be interested to see how it turns out on PC. Some of the assets they use like trees in part 1 are last gen though. That's really my only complaint. It looks phenomenal overall. 

Also, I'll be honest, the reason you don't remember much from part 1 is because really not much happens. It's very linear and not nearly as active as part 2. Still great though.

Yeah that sounds about right but I’m mostly here to :angry-fap: to the environments anyway 

• Sicko 1

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I think that's because there are more definitively "memorable" moments in Part I than in Part II.

Wait!? What? Part 2 has a memorable moment at every corner. 

Spoiler

The amount of shocking deaths were memorable, too. The game is devastating at times to play. 

Part 1 is extremely linear and limited in combat compared to 2 as well. Not many memorable moments but just a phenomenal tight story told. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Wait!? What? Part 2 has a memorable moment at every corner. 

Reveal hidden contents

Part 1 is extremely linear and limited in combat compared to 2 as well. Not many memorable moments but just a phenomenal tight story told. 

I don't consider what you described in that spoiler to be "memorable" in the least.  If anything, it's all rather quite predictable considering the thematic setting.

• True 1

Having enjoyed the Last of Us games, I watched this and enjoyed it as well, but I'm confused by the effusive praise it's gotten so far.  It definitely looks and feels like a TV show, which is fine, but game is so painfully cinematic that I kept thinking the equivalent scenes early on in the game were much more effective than the TV counterparts.  The blocking is so tight and you can really feel the budget in scenes like

Spoiler

where Joel, Ellie, and Tess are making their way outside of the city.

The first episode was more well executed than other game story adaptions I've seen, but not by a whole lot.

• True 1

8 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Having enjoyed the Last of Us games, I watched this and enjoyed it as well, but I'm confused by the effusive praise it's gotten so far.  It definitely looks and feels like a TV show, which is fine, but game is so painfully cinematic that I kept thinking the equivalent scenes early on in the game were much more effective than the TV counterparts.  The blocking is so tight and you can really feel the budget in scenes like

Reveal hidden contents

The first episode was more well executed than other game story adaptions I've seen, but not by a whole lot.

Thank you!

I’ve never played the games. I haven’t owned a Playstation since PS2 so unfortunately missed out, although I’m looking forward to the remake release on PC next month.

I know very little about the games/world other than Joel and Ellie’s name and it’s a post-apocalyptic zombie game. All that said, I thought the first episode was incredible. The show did an excellent job of building emotion and attachment in just the first 20 minutes. I can’t wait for more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Why is there so much online hate for the story of the 2nd? I never found time to play it, and nowadays I assume it's because there is a gay person or woman that doesn't need a man, but I'm not sure.

Spoiler

A much loved character is killed and then the 2nd half of the game you play as the person who killed that character. There is also the "this character is a trans women cause no women can be buff"

6 hours ago, Ominous said:

Why is there so much online hate for the story of the 2nd? I never found time to play it, and nowadays I assume it's because there is a gay person or woman that doesn't need a man, but I'm not sure.

Women being strong which proves to me that most chuds never finished the first game.

Damn that episode flew by. I played the game right after it came out so I only really remember the main beats and not any of the exact little details so I’m not sure what’s shot for shot and what’s new but damn is this show good. The opening(obviously new) was great. The clickers were perfect. 

My wife has zero knowledge of the story other than the basic concept and is loving it. She even usually dislikes “zombie” stories but is loving this because “this feels significantly smarter” 

45 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yep, the clickers were just as terrifying as in the game. 

Wasn’t there a shootout that led to Tess’s death in the game? I remember she got infected and sacrificed herself, but not all the circumstances around it. 

In the game,

Spoiler

Tess had a shootout with FEDRA soldiers who caught up to them.

spoilers just in case

great episode. the clickers were really fucking  good. they nailed it. loved the changes that they made 

Spoiler

getting rid of the airborne spores thing and having the hive mind stuff. i fuck with it. infected showing up instead of FEDRA just feels better. if the city is so dangerous the feds probably wouldn’t be rolling through unless they had to. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

Weird food for thought:

Spoiler

So according to my sister based off some TikTok she watched, the infection starting in Jakarta in a flour factory sort of explains why Joel and his daughter weren’t infected by the fungus because they didn’t have any flour in their house nor did his daughter eat the cookies and biscuits the neighbors made.

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Weird food for thought:

Hide contents

So according to my sister based off some TikTok she watched, the infection starting in Jakarta in a flour factory sort of explains why Joel and his daughter weren’t infected by the fungus because they didn’t have any flour in their house nor did his daughter eat the cookies and biscuits the neighbors made.

Spoiler

And Joel forgot the birthday cake.

Another excellent episode. Neil Druckmann himself directed it and he and cinematographer Ksenio Sereda did a really great job. I like the changes from the game (airborne spores was never gonna work, hive mind is a good alternative) and taking a game concept like crouching around and hiding and fighting clickers was properly adapted into a tense horror and then action scene. The tension was palpable. More game to live-action adaptations need to understand this - that a gameplay concept can be turned into a tense non-interactive scene when translated properly. Great acting, music, etc. Clicker designs and overall makeup effects and production and set design truly nail the verdant greens of the games.

15 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Like last week, the new stuff was by far the most compelling for me. The rest of the episode was very well executed, but a little distracting by how close it was emulating the game. That museum set was almost too good. 

I think some people are butting up against the fact that adapting from one visual medium to another is never going to be as transformative as book adaptations. 

Just now, Moa said:

I think some people are butting up against the fact that adapting from one visual medium to another is never going to be as transformative as book adaptations. 

And speaking for myself, it's the "retrograde" transition from an interactive visual medium to a non-interactive visual medium.

• Like 1