The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I thought the episodes go up on Monday? When did you guys watch this?

They go up Sunday nights. 

I'm probably making a mistake watching this before playing the game, but it's just too damn good. I might start the game soon. 

• Thanks 1

Great episode though I’d be interested to see how the person that created that Twitter thread above would prefer the ending. They carry on as they were? They eventually die of starvation, dehydration, or disease? They get eaten? They turn into monsters? 

Is there a better cliche to go with than someone killing a persons they love to spare them from everything bad that inhabits that (fictionalised ) world? 

17 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Also, goddamn the chuds in the IGN comments. Idiots. 

Look, don’t make us chastise you like we do @ortover his repeated readings of Fox News 😂

So yeah, I've been watching this. It really is good.

I have never played this game and barely knew anything about it. I didn't even know it was (yet another :rolleyes:) zombie apocalypse story.

I find it interesting just how comfortable the show is in sticking to the video gamey nature of the story. It's got fetch quests from NPCs, storage lockers, blocked passages, different difficulty paths, clearly defined bad guy types that come at you in staged encounters, etc... it 100% feels like you are watching a video game.

During episode 2 when they were "forced" to go into the "museum level" because the all the streets were blocked off by rubble, I literally laughed out loud. I mean, it's a show and I'll just go with it, but come on... I kind of want them to have a scene where they are walking down a wooded path and are like... "hey look at that, let's go check it out... oh wait, we can't get over this row of 2 foot tall bushes here... I guess we just have to keep moving..."

It's like some sort of nutty Ouroboros, with a game designed to be feel just like a movie turned into a "movie" designed to feel like just like a game...

I wonder if they wouldn't have been better served trying to make it feel a little less video gamey. (episode 3 definitely was the least gamey one so far)

The mushroom zombies are truly scary. I don't understand how Ellie managed to survive for 14 years without getting herself killed. Her character feels a little weird to me. For someone who was born into and who has only experienced life in this mushroom apocalypse hellworld, she seems a little too naive, foolhardy and innocent. I don't think a 14 year old from this universe would even be remotely similar to how kids today act. They would be cold, brutal survivors or they would be dead. Even in a QZ or whatever.

Anyway, I am really enjoying it. I'm not sure I love it as much as a lot of people seem to, but I give it a big thumbs up and will keep watching for sure.

Watching Fatman/Blackman Beyond hosted by Marc Bernardin w/ guest Tiffany Smith & she says she has no idea where the story is going but she's all aboard for it. This has to be the same sentiment SO many others who haven't played the games, nor have any context for what transpires, that so many have watching this show & it has me joyfully giddy.