The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

On 2/1/2023 at 11:05 PM, SoberChef said:

Watching Fatman/Blackman Beyond hosted by Marc Bernardin w/ guest Tiffany Smith & she says she has no idea where the story is going but she's all aboard for it. This has to be the same sentiment SO many others who haven't played the games, nor have any context for what transpires, that so many have watching this show & it has me joyfully giddy.

I've never played the games. I didn't even know it had zombies. Or maybe I did know that once upon a time and forgot. I've been having an absolute blast with the show. I thought of watching the games on YouTube, but decided I'd rather keep myself in the dark.

• Like 1

I'm rewatching the first couple episodes because... well, because, and the attention to detail is incredible. Like, in the third episode, Joel says that the fungus got likely spread through stuff like flour. The first episode has Joel and his daughter narrowly avoiding carbs. They don't have any pancake mix for breakfast and Joel forgets to buy a cake for his birthday. Joel's daughter gets distracted during school because someone's hand is twitching. There's all kinds of shit that gets referenced/paid off later that you don't even really think about at the time.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about the biscuits they refused to eat and that Joel's daughter refused. Okay, maybe it's not so subtle, but it's still a fun thing to go back to after you learn that the fungus likely spread through flour or sugar.

• Halal 1

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm leaning towards MS or ALS as well - a progressive condition for which there was no cure.

"We didn’t necessarily want to specify [the illness] for the audience, it was either MS or early ALS but it was a degenerative neuromuscular disorder," said Mazin.

franktlou-1675108880.png?crop=0.849xw:0.
WWW.MENSHEALTH.COM

It's actually something very human.

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I just watched the third episode.

Easily one of the best-executed, most emotionally compelling episodes of television that I've ever seen.

I cried

absolutely amazing 

neither my fiancé nor my gf have played the games. And they were moved by it as well.

• Confused 1

I know it's both a TV show and based on a video game but uh why didn't they just immediately hook a left onto the grass here instead of wandering aimlessly into the city? You'd think there'd be a similar grass hill on the other side of the overpass that they could have used to get back down to the other side of the freeway.

b1qUSXz.png

12 hours ago, Jason said:

I know it's both a TV show and based on a video game but uh why didn't they just immediately hook a left onto the grass here instead of wandering aimlessly into the city? You'd think there'd be a similar grass hill on the other side of the overpass that they could have used to get back down to the other side of the freeway.

b1qUSXz.png

Invisible barrier wall. Same reason they had to go through the museum level in episode 2.

I've never played the games and don't really know all of this universes lore / rules... but to me it feels like the outside world is a little too empty. If mushroom zombies die in a month, there should be more people around. And cruising down highways from Boston to Kansas City would probably result in dozens of ambushes...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ort said:

Invisible barrier wall. Same reason they had to go through the museum level in episode 2.

I've never played the games and don't really know all of this universes lore / rules... but to me it feels like the outside world is a little too empty. If mushroom zombies die in a month, there should be more people around. And cruising down highways from Boston to Kansas City would probably result in dozens of ambushes...

That is one thing I thought about. Like, the premise of the world would be more plausible if this was like... 2 years after infection, not 20. After 20 years, even if the fungal infection was still around, the idea that the infected humans still outnumber humans would be crazy. Every zombie universe has that problem, though.

It's similar to the slight problem I have with the Fallout universe. Like, those games are supposed to take place ~200 years after the nuclear apocalypse, but aside from skeletons being everywhere, everything looks like it just got nuked last Tuesday.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

23 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Fencing.

Looks like chain link fencing on the left (our left) hill, you'd think they'd have wire snippers or could even just drive through the fence if needed. Like I get that it's basically just invisible wall barrier like @ort said and it doesn't detract from my enjoyment or anything, but it was still just a little hard not to notice as it was happening.

I was not impressed with the first two episodes, mostly because the lighting and color grade didn’t fit much of the time. Episode three and four look significantly better, much more like a movie or big budget TV show.

It is funny how much video game logic doesn’t work in movies/TV though 😂

My wife is enjoying it much more, and only has vague memories of me playing the game.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:46 PM, Fizzzzle said:

That is one thing I thought about. Like, the premise of the world would be more plausible if this was like... 2 years after infection, not 20. After 20 years, even if the fungal infection was still around, the idea that the infected humans still outnumber humans would be crazy. Every zombie universe has that problem, though.

It's similar to the slight problem I have with the Fallout universe. Like, those games are supposed to take place ~200 years after the nuclear apocalypse, but aside from skeletons being everywhere, everything looks like it just got nuked last Tuesday.

Fallout in particular makes very little sense; running water is some of the most radioactive stuff in some of those games which… is not how things work. :p

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is funny how much video game logic doesn’t work in movies/TV though 😂

I always chuckle when I’m running through homes in The Last of Us and like… none of the houses have something like a chef’s knife or a cleaver or a baseball bat or something. “Imma leave my precious diary behind, but we paid like $300 for that block of cutlery at Crate and Barrel, bring it all!”

• Haha 1