The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

41 minutes ago, _BJ_ said:

Fuck me, gut wrenching...

Two weeks in a row.

I kind of hope they keep up with the theme of each episode being like a vignette about other characters who mostly live/die in that episode. I haven't played the game and I've been trying to avoid spoilers (though I have seen one, which I'm upset at myself about), so I don't know if they'll do that. But I hope they do.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wrf is going on. I tried giving this a watch twice now and get so fuckin bored and turn it off. It's just not interesting at all and really boring. 

Hide contents

Why is Sam deaf? It's annoying. 

I mean it's not action packed while telling their backstory.  I guess you could skip to the last 20 min of it or so if you need pew pew pew bang bank rarrr smash dead splat oh god.

Spoiler

They made him deaf to make him rely on his brother even more. If you watch the behind the episode footage after the episode

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I mean it's not action packed while telling their backstory.  I guess you could skip to the last 20 min of it or so if you need pew pew pew bang bank rarrr smash dead splat oh god.

Hide contents

They made him deaf to make him rely on his brother even more. If you watch the behind the episode footage after the episode

It's not that I need action because I loved the episode with Bill and Frank. There is something about the character interactions and slow pace. I'll force myself to watch it eventually because I really love what they have going here.

Thanks for the other info. I guess that makes sense. 

They talk in the official podcast about how hard it was to find someone to play Sam after they decided they wanted a deaf kid. He was one of only five submissions to a casting call they put out over Twitter. And he’s really good! Loved the scene where he was bonding with Ellie over the comic books. 

About halfway through this episode, I thought “man, they’re really being stingy with the infected in this show”. :lol:

54 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

They talk in the official podcast about how hard it was to find someone to play Sam after they decided they wanted a deaf kid. He was one of only five submissions to a casting call they put out over Twitter. And he’s really good! Loved the scene where he was bonding with Ellie over the comic books. 

About halfway through this episode, I thought “man, they’re really being stingy with the infected in this show”. :lol:

I honestly would have preferred he wasn't deaf and went with how the game went. Which it was damn close but the whole deaf thing was lame imo. Overall, cool episode but one of the weakest.

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

That’s what I was thinking like damn we’re in episode 5 with only 1 real infected encounter. Good to see them in this episode.

Great episode. Gut wrenching, even though I knew it was coming. I like the additions they given the show, giving more background to the more minor, yet significant, characters. Melanie Lynskey was superb. 

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

I honestly would have preferred he wasn't deaf and went with how the game went. Which it was damn close but the whole deaf thing was lame imo. Overall, cool episode but one of the weakest.

They made Sam younger and dead to make him more vulnerable and reliant on Henry. It worked out well. Dunno why anyone would be bothered by this. 

This show is fucking crushing it. The first episode had me on the edge of my seat, the second episode had me a little more iffy, thinking "oh great, just another Zombie show," but both of the last episodes had me in fucking tears. I've never played the games and probably never will unless they get ported to PC some day, but holy shit. So far this show is easily my favorite show of the last couple years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

They made Sam younger and dead to make him more vulnerable and reliant on Henry. It worked out well. Dunno why anyone would be bothered by this. 

Dead? But, it's my opinion that it was not needed and was annoying to me. I'm not explaining any further and I love the show overall. Weak episode imo. Bill and Frank's episode spoiled me maybe. That was on another level. 

I mean the show had been great so far with tons of palpable anxiety and loss but I just "wound down the day" by watching episode 3.

I didn't expect that and it kind of emotionally blindsided me. I was about to get really upset and find it thoroughly against Bill's character to keep going and end up in the video game events. I'm glad they rewrote it, it was a shockingly great hour of television. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

This was the first episode I felt was visually beautiful. I also like that the show just keeps chugging along. They could have certainly stretched the Jackson stuff into two episodes if they went the way so many shows do with too much filler.