The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ashley Johnson got air time, too. I'm finished with it. It's all very good but like some of you said above, it did seem like a rush the last 3 episodes or so. 

Ya, I think they should have made it 10 episodes and stretched some of it out, but overall they nailed it. 

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler
Spoiler

At first I was kind of annoyed at the writing in the cannibal episode following the mall episode because it seemed like everyone had just decided that Ellie was so smart and special and destined for great things. And then I realized the guy was just a pedophile.

I'm starting to think this Joel guy might not be the greatest person.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to this, just finished episode 6.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:33 AM, sblfilms said:

I'm not sure quite how to feel about the show, but I think it says...something...that the two best episodes are the ones who have their narrative and emotional cores come not from Joel and Ellie, but the supporting cast (Bill/Frank and Henry/Sam episodes).

This is where I'm at right this second.

Long, Long Time is easily the best episode for me so far. I can't tell if that's because it feels freshest, or in general that it's just great, or some combo of that with other stuff. Conversely I think MOST of what happened in Kansas City with everyone other than Henry & Sam was easily the least interesting that the show has been. I don't mind a "filler" episode, clearly, but we spend most of our time with Joel so we know the negative and compromising effects that the apocalypse can have on people. The shit with Bill & Frank hits different because it showed how the same events can bring people together. Kathleen and Perry? They're just not  interesting and given the fact that they brought a small army to get eaten by infected in the world's most foolish attempt to get revenge on one fucking dude... they're also very stupid.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:36 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As much as I can appreciate just how well-executed practically every aspect of this series is, I genuinely do wish that it had a more distinctive visual identity because it really is quite visually uninteresting/uninspiring.

I understand that it's supposed to reflect a grounded version of a post-apocalyptic world, but that doesn't mean that it should lack practically all visual flair, with the notable exception being the episode based on the "Left Behind" DLC.

I really do wish that they had found ways to incorporate some aspects of the game's own artistic flourishes to elevate its visual style beyond mere "gritty realism" which the game accomplished very well.

I feel this too, especially some of the stuff around Boston since the geography around the State House simply does not exist like that IRL, but... as a local I get that they need to make the show make sense visually and Boston very much does not. :p

The show is very well cast, Pedro and Bella are great in this. Most of the supporting cast has been awesome as well, Henry & Sam are highlights, as were Frank & Bill. I still don't know if the sweet spot of this franchise was to do a fairly straight adaptation of the game? My wife doesn't play video games and she's really liked this, but other than the stuff that's brand new for the show, for me it's felt like watching a rerun of something I've seen and enjoyed. 

It feels different than something like the Lord of the Rings movies, for example. Even in the scenes / lines that are more or less lifted right from the books, the shift from a written medium to a written one still felt novel. Naughty Dog's games are so cinematic that this show ends up feeling a lot more familiar. And for the most part this works really well. I thought the bloater came off kinda goofy though.

Looking forward to finishing the show and letting my thoughts congeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Binged this with my wife over the week. Never played the game. I thought the show was great. I was both surprised by and enjoyed the 'character of the week' that you bonded with or were disgusted by that only made one appearance and was then gone forever. Really good writing if they can get you invested in a character and go through an entire emotional arc and then say goodbye in one episode.

On 4/21/2023 at 6:04 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Binged this with my wife over the week. Never played the game. I thought the show was great. I was both surprised by and enjoyed the 'character of the week' that you bonded with or were disgusted by that only made one appearance and was then gone forever. Really good writing if they can get you invested in a character and go through an entire emotional arc and then say goodbye in one episode.

Play the game on PS5. Then play TLOU2 in 60fps on PS5. They are both in my top 5 games ever made. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched this over the last couple of weeks. I am shocked at how close to the game it stayed. I was expecting characters and large plot points to carry over but this was damn near line for line, shot for shot in a lot of cases, really is a testament to how fantastic the game was.

Seeing thus bumped made me realize I never posted my final impressions.

Overall I think it's a really good season of prestige TV. Hard to know exactly what my takeaway would be if I hadn't played the game since there's just so much that's straight up cribbed from that, and if there's one thing modern Naughty Dog does well it's be cinematic.

Some of the new stuff was for me the best (the Bill episode) and worst (the Kansas City gang) of the show. Very much like the game, I think its best moments are when it can luxuriate in its appreciation for its own characters in a well presented way. It's occasionally less interesting when it tries to be a straight up zombie show. And some of the more "video gamey" stuff like the Bloater came off kinda hokey when you're not the one running away from and trying to kill it.

I went into it wondering if I thought it'd be "a waste" to adapt the first game since, again, TLoU's cinematic are already very movie-like. I don't feel that way after watching this season. But that's mainly because I think Pedro and Bella do a lot of heavy lifting and watching their take on familiar content made it worthwhile. I think it would have been an easy bag to fumble. Hopefully they can keep that up for the next season or two, assuming they decide to adapt TLoU2 with the same approach.

• Halal 1

• 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

We officially have an Abby.  hope she ditches social media 

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The 'No One Will Save You' star has joined the acclaimed HBO hit in a pivotal role from the game.

Interesting. I wonder if they want her to get jacked for this?

Kaitlyn Dever is awesome, so I’m into it. The Mazin quote in that article (“Nothing matters more than talent”) makes me think they aren’t super concerned with her matching in-game Abby physically, which is probably the right call. 

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Kaitlyn Dever is awesome, so I’m into it. The Mazin quote in that article (“Nothing matters more than talent”) makes me think they aren’t super concerned with her matching in-game Abby physically, which is probably the right call. 

Indeed. She looks more like Ellie than Bella, who also was criticized for "not looking the part", but Bella knocked it out of the park as Ellie.

She doesnt really need to be jacked. She'll probably add a bit of muscle but it's not like we are playing as her where in the game you felt the different playstyle and weight to her character when doing melee. 

• True 1