The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is S1 getting through the entire first game?

“The first season is the events of the first game—and you can tell, if you have played the game, from watching the marketing materials that we’re also covering the events of the Left Behind [downloadable content],” Mazin said. “I think that the amount of story that remains that we have not covered would be more than a season of television. So assuming we can keep going forward, the idea would be to do more than just one more season. But this isn’t the kind of show that is going to be seven seasons.”

96a65e8d0ddebdafba4cb8f56910de67.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

Producers Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann talk the longevity of HBO's PlayStation adaptation.

Season 1 does seem to be, based on the pacing of the first episode, to cover the entire first game as a seasonal arc (which makes sense) and they've already hinted they'll be including the Left Behind DLC story as well.

I'm much more interested in how a wider audience responds to the second game when its presumably adapted for season 2, given how divisive it was amongst the gaming community online. As someone who found the second game much more complex and interesting than the first one, I look forward to them adapting that and seeing what TV viewers think. I have a feeling people will like it in TV form more, and perhaps because people will be prepared due to the game. Given the viewership this pilot got (second only to House of the Dragon since 2010), I think a second season is pretty much a guarantee unless the show shits the bed and viewership significantly drops off. Given this is the guy who did Chernobyl (let's ignore all his horrible comedy work before that), I somehow doubt it will based on the pilot episode.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If you own a PS5, I'd buy the "remake" of part 1 and TLOU 2 and have an amazing gameathon session. 

I assure you if I owned any playstations I would've played these games. At least part 1 is coming to PC relatively soon.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Following episode lengths as follows:

#2 - 55 minutes

#3 - 76 minutes (Bill & Frank episode)

#4 - 46 minutes

#5 - 59 minutes

#6 - 59 minutes

#7 - 56 minutes
#8 - 51 minutes

#9 - 43 minutes

interesting 

i would assume each episode is like (game spoilers)

Spoiler

2 - tess dying 

3 - bill and frank 

4 - pittsburgh, into to sam and henry 

5 - more sam and henry

6 - meet tommy 

7 - joel getting impaled and maybe beginning of winter

8 - winter 

9 - hospital 

maybe the pittsburgh and sam and henry stuff is just one episode and they do more with winter. i think we will get some left behind stuff next episode

11 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Following episode lengths as follows:

#2 - 55 minutes

#3 - 76 minutes (Bill & Frank episode)

#4 - 46 minutes

#5 - 59 minutes

#6 - 59 minutes

#7 - 56 minutes
#8 - 51 minutes

#9 - 43 minutes

interesting 

i would assume each episode is like (game spoilers)

Spoiler

2 - tess dying 

3 - bill and frank 

4 - pittsburgh, into to sam and henry 

5 - more sam and henry

6 - meet tommy 

7 - joel getting impaled and maybe beginning of winter

8 - winter 

9 - hospital 

maybe the pittsburgh and sam and henry stuff is just one episode and they do more with winter. i think we will get some left behind stuff next episode

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

I have to wonder what they'll do with subsequent seasons, if they do them (which they probably will). Given the five years between Part I and Part II, I doubt season 2 would be an adaptation of Part II, and instead they can flesh out and tell more of the stories of the years between the two games, even filming the flashback scenes from Part II. 

h5EWMtAaEMXyekGzfrH6jV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It might please the story purists, but it's too safe and a bit dull.

I'm glad this article came around because I had been wondering myself, is this the thing gamers want out of a show? The exact same thing they played rather than something that expands on the subject material? Shows like Resident Evil and Halo get blasted because they take an original take on the universe while something like The Last of Us is just the game, really kind of pointless, but then again they made the last of us part 1 which was probably more pointless. :p

it’s a lose lose situation. do the same thing? “what’s the point of this show”. do something different? “i can’t believe they’re not following  the original story” 

fuck what gamers think. mazin and druckman making what they want is all that matters. don’t like it, don’t watch it. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

I have to wonder what they'll do with subsequent seasons, if they do them (which they probably will). Given the five years between Part I and Part II, I doubt season 2 would be an adaptation of Part II, and instead they can flesh out and tell more of the stories of the years between the two games, even filming the flashback scenes from Part II. 

It's tough to parse exactly what they mean, but there are quotes from the creators saying they are sticking to the games, and don't want to drag the show out beyond that. Could that leave room for an extra season or more between the games? Maybe. But this is HBO, baby. A 5 year time jump between seasons is nothing! House of the Dragon was doing that whenever a character blinked! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
h5EWMtAaEMXyekGzfrH6jV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It might please the story purists, but it's too safe and a bit dull.

I'm glad this article came around because I had been wondering myself, is this the thing gamers want out of a show? The exact same thing they played rather than something that expands on the subject material? Shows like Resident Evil and Halo get blasted because they take an original take on the universe while something like The Last of Us is just the game, really kind of pointless, but then again they made the last of us part 1 which was probably more pointless. :p

You can't please "gamers". There's too many of them and they've all grown up arguing about dumb shit on the internet. 

I was listening to The Watch podcast today, and they were covering this show from the perspective of "it's the new flagship HBO series" with no real knowledge of the games. I thought it was interesting that most of the scenes they highlighted as great tv-making were the things added for the show, like the opening talk show bit or the introduction to the Boston QZ by following that kid that gets put down. And as a fan of the games, I tend to agree. I like Joel and Pascal's portrayal of him so far, but I perked up every time we had a scene he's not in, because that's not a perspective you get for 95% of the game. That's what I'm looking for more than 1-to-1 reproductions of the game. I think as the season goes on, there will be more of that. We already know there will be an episode that's either mostly or entirely about Bill and Frank. As for the "I don't get why people love it so much" at the end of that article - the most glowing praise I've seen is all from people who've seen the whole season already. 

• Like 1

Just watched it with my wife(who doesn’t know the game). First off, that was 80 minutes?? Good lord did that fly by. Felt like a regular 50 minute show. 

I loved every second of it. Seeing a game that was so powerful  and memorable to me recreated in such a way on screen was amazing. I think there’s just enough new things sprinkled in that it kept it still feeling fresh. 

People are entitled to their opinions but I do not understand any kind of “it’s not different enough” criticism. This is arguably the singular video game story that earned the right to be translated as is. For me, The Last of Us was the game that you could finally point to and say that “look, videos games 100% belong at the table for serious storytelling” it was the first game that to me achieved a Hollywood level of storytelling. And so to me that game deserves to be adapted as faithfully as possible, to be given the Hollywood treatment. It’s so fitting that this will probably become the first truly great video game adaptation. To me a very faithful adaption with sprinkles of improvement and new stuff was the perfect way to go with this show. 

• Halal 2

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

I think I'd rather see the years between fleshed out with a few seasons before doing Part II as a season. We also don't know when they'll do a season 2. It could be next year, or it could be like Westworld with a couple years in between seasons. 

Honestly, and I said this in the House of the Dragon thread, I wouldn't be opposed to HBO putting out a season of HotD in 2024, then TLoU S2 in 2025, and alternate going forward thereafter.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I think I'd rather see the years between fleshed out with a few seasons before doing Part II as a season. We also don't know when they'll do a season 2. It could be next year, or it could be like Westworld with a couple years in between seasons. 

I agree with this. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’s dumb that the pc version of the remake isn’t for another 6 weeks. I want to watch this but I want to play the remake first.

I timed it up perfectly without even thinking about the show. I litteraly finished part 2 and played them back to back. Makes the show much more interesting to watch and pick apart. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I timed it up perfectly without even thinking about the show. I litteraly finished part 2 and played them back to back. Makes the show much more interesting to watch and pick apart. 

Yeah I don’t remember much of pt1 besides the ending and

giraffes

so all the side story elements I want to still feel fresh for me when I play remake and then yeah to be able to better compare when watching the show.

Shit gonna look crazy on pc, I realllly wish it was a Jan release though. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah I don’t remember much of pt1 besides the ending and

Reveal hidden contents

so all the side story elements I want to still feel fresh for me when I play remake and then yeah to be able to better compare when watching the show.

Shit gonna look crazy on pc, I realllly wish it was a Jan release though. 

Part 1 has some of the best visuals on PS5 so I'll be interested to see how it turns out on PC. Some of the assets they use like trees in part 1 are last gen though. That's really my only complaint. It looks phenomenal overall. 

Also, I'll be honest, the reason you don't remember much from part 1 is because really not much happens. It's very linear and not nearly as active as part 2. Still great though.