The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

I haven't seen the show yet, but what do you mean? Why wouldn't airborne spores work? Is this just to keep the actors from wearing gas masks? 

My memory on the explanation for it in the game is fuzzy, but airborne spores being relegated to certain areas despite those areas not being air tight would be hard to explain why its only in those areas and doesn't spread airborne out everywhere to infect everyone. It's only been two episodes though, maybe they do put it in. Either way a network of fungi communicating across large areas is new. 

I would say in theory, having a collection of spores in a tight space of a room would make sense but the hive mind concept is downright creepier! I'm sure between Mazin's experience w/ Chernobyl as well as Pedro having on a  helmet in another series, having your main character in a mask just isn't good on film if/when it can be worked around. 

The episode was stellar yet again giving me that "OMG I NEED MORE NOW!" feels after the creds rolled. This week I immediately listened to the podcast afterwards & I feel as though I'll continue to do that each week going forward.

27 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I would say in theory, having a collection of spores in a tight space of a room would make sense

I mean, how would it make sense? Airborne spores would presumably spread through any space, regardless of how tight or not, unless it was airtight/vacuum sealed I believe. The hive mind concept is creepier, agreed.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, how would it make sense? Airborne spores would presumably spread through any space, regardless of how tight or not, unless it was airtight/vacuum sealed I believe. The hive mind concept is creepier, agreed.

IIRC, in the game, the spores were only infectious via inhalation in tight areas where they were dense in the air. To me, I took it as you had to inhale a ton of them in a short time for it to be able to infect via the air, so in open areas, even with spores in the air, you’re safe.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

IIRC, in the game, the spores were only infectious via inhalation in tight areas where they were dense in the air. To me, I took it as you had to inhale a ton of them in a short time for it to be able to infect via the air, so in open areas, even with spores in the air, you’re safe.

Right, which was basically where I was going with my previous statement. Say for instance you end up in a basement of a large building. Obviously no windows, no ventilation working in ages either. Say an infected goes down there & becomes trapped or whatever, then possibly over time, there is a potentiality for such a case to happen. I say this only in hope that they MAY if they want to, include such a wrinkle in the lore down the road. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if its alluded to in the background going forward & have it pay off in season 2 or 3 when ... well those of us who know, KNOW what's in one particular basement.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

How does the hivemind work? Wouldn't that have to be one, giant, interconnected fungus? 

It’s not that all infected everywhere are connected. But they’re playing with the real world concept that some fungi grow in large underground networks that can be miles wide. So you alert on infected on that network, nearby infected on that network are also alerted. 

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

So you alert on infected on that network, nearby infected on that network are also alerted. 

Which is awesome AND scary. I don't get tense watching any movies or while playing games, but for some reason the museum scene was really well done. 

I can't say it enough how impressive the sets are plus the mix of cgi. 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

6 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Right, which was basically where I was going with my previous statement. Say for instance you end up in a basement of a large building. Obviously no windows, no ventilation working in ages either. Say an infected goes down there & becomes trapped or whatever, then possibly over time, there is a potentiality for such a case to happen. I say this only in hope that they MAY if they want to, include such a wrinkle in the lore down the road. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if its alluded to in the background going forward & have it pay off in season 2 or 3 when ... well those of us who know, KNOW what's in one particular basement.

Well, as I said they could still include it, they'll just need to explain it as they have with other things. That makes me think it may still come up.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, as I said they could still include it, they'll just need to explain it as they have with other things. That makes me think it may still come up.

I'd rather they didn't, in the game it's just used for atmosphere and to be like "you're now going to battle a buttload of infected in this area".

7 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I am curious IF and HOW Bloaters will be dealt with in the show considering the mask/spore debate.

Judging from the preview for the next episode 

Spoiler

We’ll find out next week since the end of that area in the game is where you encounter your first bloater as a mini-boss. 

BTW, I kinda can’t wait for them to do the second game just for an episode of the underground hospital level. F’n ratking is going to be insane to see in live action.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Now that it’s a certified massive hit, I wonder if they’ll get pressure to stretch it out to 3+ seasons, and if that’s why Mazin has been out there preemptively saying he doesn’t want to do that. 

There have been talks of stretching TLoU2 into 2 seasons considering how that story was told. I wouldn't be opposed to it then & it would help flesh out more of Ellie's trek from Montana to Washington this way, flesh out the ancillary characters more as well. Add to that the fact that say within the next 3ish years, we very well could have another entry into the series & it's definitely 50/50 that they very well could be developing those season(s) alongside production of the game.

36 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Pretty sure they’re done with Last of Us games. Aren’t Naughty Dog working on a fantasy themed game right now?

But yeah the way the second game is told I would be totally down for them splitting that into two seasons. 

TLOU 3 is thier next game lol.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

No it's not. There have been leaks of their next game (not counting the Last of Us multiplayer standalone game they have coming out this year). 

I forget where I read it but spork says it as well

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Neil Druckmann confirmed he’s penned a story for a third game.