The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

A little back story episode to build up character depth isn’t terrible, but I’m not sure how much it actually did that. 

I'm not sure quite how to feel about the show, but I think it says...something...that the two best episodes are the ones who have their narrative and emotional cores come not from Joel and Ellie, but the supporting cast (Bill/Frank and Henry/Sam episodes).

Good episode. Still heartbreaking at the end, knowing what was coming.

51 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I was told their was some kind of Easter egg in this episode, did anyone notice anything?

I mean, it's nothing major, but the taco place at the mall is referenced in Left Behind and in Uncharted 4. And Take On Me was featured, which is a notable song and favorite of Ellie's in part II.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

A little back story episode to build up character depth isn’t terrible, but I’m not sure how much it actually did that. 

I'm not sure quite how to feel about the show, but I think it says...something...that the two best episodes are the ones who have their narrative and emotional cores come not from Joel and Ellie, but the supporting cast (Bill/Frank and Henry/Sam episodes).

Not to mention those are the episodes that deviate the most from the source material. 

There isn’t much you learn from this episode that couldn’t have been inferred from stray bits of dialog in previous episodes, that’s true. It was still really well done, and reinforces how hurt and alone Ellie was at the start of the show, and that’s why Joel now means so much to her. If nothing else, it provides a mostly pleasant interlude before these last two episodes that, no spoilers, are probably gonna be pretty grim. 

And I’m laughing at imagining the bros that were sold on the idea of the Mandolorian being a badass in the zombie apocalypse have now had an episode that was an epic romance between two middle aged dudes, and one that’s about two teen girls going on a date at the mall. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

The whole season is great, I just don’t know how they bring it home in two episodes? (I believe it’s 9 episodes total) isn’t this season supposed to cover the whole first game? 

Episode 8 is the winter with the cannibals and 9 is Salt Lake City and the finale. There’s really not much left. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Episode 8 is the winter with the cannibals and 9 is Salt Lake City and the finale. There’s really not much left. 

Its still quite a bit. Its not that I don’t think they can do it, but I do think the last episodes will have to be rushed. 

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Its still quite a bit. Its not that I don’t think they can do it, but I do think the last episodes will have to be rushed. 

It’s not that much considering how they’re shortening the fight/action portions of the game. Look at episode 6.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s not that much considering how they’re shortening the fight/action portions of the game. Look at episode 6.

Spoiler

just hope they don't gimp the ending. I want them to show the totality of Joels crimes when he slaughters the doctors, and not make it into something more viewer friendly but less impactful. 

Edited: End Game spoilers

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I know we’ve been kinda loose with spoilers in this thread, but we do have people who haven’t played the game, so maybe we shouldn’t get into specifics of the climax quite yet. 

I guess that's fair, but it's also 14 years old, at what point can we talk about spoilers? Especially with a game as popular as TLoU. It's kinda like someone I saw on reddit getting mad that Aerith's death was spoiled when 7R released. But I will put the above in spoilers. 

26 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I guess that's fair, but it's also 14 years old, at what point can we talk about spoilers? Especially with a game as popular as TLoU. It's kinda like someone I saw on reddit getting mad that Aerith's death was spoiled when 7R released. But I will put the above in spoilers. 

This is not difficult: don’t openly discuss plot points of future episodes of an ongoing show based on knowledge of the source material. The age of the source material is irrelevant.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I know we’ve been kinda loose with spoilers in this thread, but we do have people who haven’t played the game, so maybe we shouldn’t get into specifics of the climax quite yet. 

I want to get into the specifics of climax.

That was excellent, and I think a situation where removing interactivity from the final sequence enhanced the story telling.

Spoiler

“It’s okay, baby girl”

is the emotional moment between Joel and Ellie I feel the show has mostly been missing. Got me all teary-eyed!

Wow, compete and utter wow. The show has been so excellent so far but in the back of my head I was always wondering if they’d really be able to pull off winter. After that part of the game is when I had to take a break for a week or so. It was so emotionally draining and depressing. The scene in the restaurant will always be one of my top most memorable video game moments. I didn’t know a video game could make me feel that way. 

So for them to have completely nailed the whole damn thing and some how also made it better is incredible. The violence line, the baby girl line. Perfect. I have no doubt that they will stick the landing and that the ending will land as hard if not harder than it did in the game. 

• Like 1

TLoU2 spoilers:
On 3/6/2023 at 2:12 AM, Dodger said:
Spoiler

I’m going to hate Abby even more in the show than I did the game

TLoU2 spoilers:

Spoiler

Pulling off Abby in the game was hard enough, but for the final “boss fight” where you’re playing as Ellie and not wanting her to kill Abby (at least I didn’t) really showed how good Naughty Dog is at story telling. In non-interactive media, I honestly don’t know if the feat is possible, but I’m looking forward to finding out!

• True 2

On 3/7/2023 at 5:08 AM, Spork3245 said:

TLoU2 spoilers:

Hide contents

Pulling off Abby in the game was hard enough, but for the final “boss fight” where you’re playing as Ellie and not wanting her to kill Abby (at least I didn’t) really showed how good Naughty Dog is at story telling. In non-interactive media, I honestly don’t know if the feat is possible, but I’m looking forward to finding out!

TLoU2 spoilers:

Spoiler

im honestly just looking forward to the GoT style reactions when a certain person dies that people dont know its coming :p 

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Episodes 1 and 2 were solid, episode 3 was special and so beautiful that I fear the next episode won't be nearly as good. As I've aged, I care a lot less about action scenes and a great deal more about "the talkie parts" as my son says. Episode 3 was a lovely surprise. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

As much as I can appreciate just how well-executed practically every aspect of this series is, I genuinely do wish that it had a more distinctive visual identity because it really is quite visually uninteresting/uninspiring.

I understand that it's supposed to reflect a grounded version of a post-apocalyptic world, but that doesn't mean that it should lack practically all visual flair, with the notable exception being the episode based on the "Left Behind" DLC.

I really do wish that they had found ways to incorporate some aspects of the game's own artistic flourishes to elevate its visual style beyond mere "gritty realism" which the game accomplished very well.

On 3/6/2023 at 1:50 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Perfection. 

I don’t know what people say when this is straying too far from the game because this is spot on. 

“it’s okay, baby girl.”

Just excellent.  

Those people have never played the game, or skipped every cut scene and never played Left Behind. Or just like to be hateful.

really, the only major change is Bill and Franks relationship and the way it ends/the life they lead, and it was a change that improved the character and that part of the story in every way.

Everything else has been beat for beat. 

I wonder if they go straight to part 2, or they they do something else, perhaps Ellie and Joel making a life in Jackson?  

There is no way they can tell part 2 in 9-10 episodes, imo. There’s way too many intricacies to that game, and it’s pretty damn long. I wonder if they do it in two?. I really need to replay it.  

this episode was soooooo damn good. Msn, I can’t believe there’s only one more.

TLoU2 spoilers:

On 3/6/2023 at 2:12 AM, Dodger said:
Spoiler

I’m going to hate Abby even more in the show than I did the game

TLoU2 spoilers:

Spoiler

Abby was my favourite character in part 2. She’s a far more sympathetic character than Elly turns out to be, imo. 

I can never understand how people can play through that whole game and come away hating Abby.

TLoU2 spoilers:
Spoiler

Abby could be based on the model of my dreams and I’d still hate her character. The way she looks has nothing to do with it. People only like Abby because the game bends over backwards making you like her despite being pretty clear she’s really just as shitty of a person as Joel was other the one thing. Oh she still pulls her shit despite Joel saving her life minutes earlier. She literally has the same motivation as Ellie does but hey she has a fear of heights so it’s totally cool.

Cannot help but wonder IF we will see Abby in the background of a shot perhaps much like the cafeteria scene from episode 7.

On 3/6/2023 at 1:03 AM, 69los said:

I watched late since I was watching wrestling but while doing that, I like to follow along with Twitter. I saw "baby girl" trending and glad I didn't pick up on it or click on it.

Wonderful episode.

Guessing AEW: Revolution? Such a phenomenal PPV (not a great build, but arguably top tier in all of their PPVs so far with regards to the matches themselves.) That Danielson/MJF Iron Man Match, possibly the best I ever seen!

• Like 1