Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

It is timeless.

Seinfeld was ahead of its time so it’s aged well, but... it’s an incredibly white show, it has a laugh track, etc. It’s not any more timeless than something like The Mary Tyler Moore show. That show was great, but people aren’t going back and discovering it now, and they won’t with Seinfeld, either. It’s not timeliness, humor just doesn’t work that way.

Nothing is timeless, we just happened to be around when it was relevant.  You know how many Seinfeld episodes would be over immediately or never even begin because of cell phones and the internet?  The soup nazi?  Uber Eats that shit.  Can't remember your date's name?  Facebook.  Bathroom book?  Yes, the bookstore market is thriving.  Damn, how will we ever find ourselves in this huge parking garage?  Oh right, text.  Oh shit, I need to call my girlfriend but the only payphone is busy!  What the fuck is a payphone?  I mean for fuck's sake, Jerry lives in a palatial apartment on a stand up comedian's paycheck and Kramer lives in a similar apartment with no actual job.  The New York city they live in just doesn't exist anymore.  The jokes are still funny, but it shows its age.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Seinfeld was ahead of its time so it’s aged well, but... it’s an incredibly white show, it has a laugh track, etc. It’s not any more timeless than something like The Mary Tyler Moore show. That show was great, but people aren’t going back and discovering it now, and they won’t with Seinfeld, either. It’s not timeliness, humor just doesn’t work that way.

My wife and I have been watching Seinfeld lately, and our 10 year old daughter will watch it a bit, and isn't completely bored or disinterested in the show. 

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Nothing is timeless, we just happened to be around when it was relevant.  You know how many Seinfeld episodes would be over immediately or never even begin because of cell phones and the internet?  The soup nazi?  Uber Eats that shit.  Can't remember your date's name?  Facebook.  Bathroom book?  Yes, the bookstore market is thriving.  Damn, how will we ever find ourselves in this huge parking garage?  Oh right, text.  Oh shit, I need to call my girlfriend but the only payphone is busy!  What the fuck is a payphone?  I mean for fuck's sake, Jerry lives in a palatial apartment on a stand up comedian's paycheck and Kramer lives in a similar apartment with no actual job.  The New York city they live in just doesn't exist anymore.  The jokes are still funny, but it shows its age.

That's actually a good point!

I also genuinely don’t understand why “timelessness” would be considered a positive quality for something like a sitcom. I love Cheers, but that shit is dated as fuck. I love Frasier as well, but one of the female characters is described as so shrill and terrible that she wasn’t ever seen on screen, it’s... pretty bad in that respect.

• Guillotine 1

15 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Well obviously the jokes are funny because it makes sense within the context of the time period. Obviously if the show was set in 2020 the show would be flawed and the jokes wouldn't make any sense. But because it was set in the '90s doesn't detract from the show's quality.

How about jokes that don't require old technology, like a toothbrush falling into a toilet?

As an aside, they did have cell phones in the later episodes. The cell phone walk and talk! (which seems to be normal now) I think if they redid that one it would be the cell phone walk and talk with the phone on speaker so everyone can hear your conversation. :|

23 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

You can say the same about a lot of the plot points in Mad Men making no sense in the age of cell phones and that was written once we already had cell phones.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Doesn't matter that it's white (do you not know any actual black people? Many dig that show), and I prefer shows with audiences. There's no sitcom with a live audience that feels old because it's like that.

If anything, because it's a stage, you're more likely to get stronger actors like Caroll O'Connor and Jason Alexander who feed off the audience.

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

This argument needs to be laid to rest.

NYC was expensive then. That's not age; you just have to accept that the show isn't filled with nuclear physicists.

If you want the jokes to not "age," then do a period piece like That 70s Show. I understood Goodfellas despite the fact that there's a payphone in it and when he stood her up at a date, Pesci never texted him.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I also genuinely don’t understand why “timelessness” would be considered a positive quality for something like a sitcom. I love Cheers, but that shit is dated as fuck. I love Frasier as well, but one of the female characters is described as so shrill and terrible that she wasn’t ever seen on screen, it’s... pretty bad in that respect.

To be fair, they did the same thing with Norm’s wife on Cheers. She never appeared.

And in the case of Maris, they never showed because when it came time to cast her, no actress would fit the description they gave her over the course of how many seasons by the time they actually wanted her to appear.

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

To be fair, they did the same thing with Norm’s wife on Cheers. She never appeared.

And in the case of Maris, they never showed because when it came time to cast her, no actress would fit the description they gave her over the course of how many seasons by the time they actually wanted her to appear.

It's also funnier because it's left to the imagination. At one point Frasier goes to meet who you think is Maris, and then you think you see her but it's actually the cleaning lady behind her. Doesn't work with an actor playing her.

My irrelevant 2 cents.... All of these shows suck. The Office especially. Seinfeld got old fast. Friends was okay during the first few seasons but turned to shit quickly. Cheers just never got into it so I won't say anything about it. What else did I see above...? That 70's Show was great in the beginning but also turned to shit. The simpsons too. Fuck them all.

• Guillotine 2

"Timeless" is a word that can have different meaning, imo. If your comedy is outdated because the culture has moved past where the show was to an extent where the jokes are offensive, then yeah, definitely not timeless. But I don't think having a payphone in your show means that it's not timeless. That's silly.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

"Timeless" is a word that can have different meaning, imo. If your comedy is outdated because the culture has moved past where the show was to an extent where the jokes are offensive, then yeah, definitely not timeless. But I don't think having a payphone in your show means that it's not timeless. That's silly.

At a certain point there's not much of a distinction between a show made in the 90s and a current show that is set in the 90s. If you watch an old show or watch a show set in an old time, you're going to instinctively understand that technology will be different.

Seinfeld is obviously a better show than Friends, but Friends has been able to be fairly popular with Gen Z kids in a way that Seinfeld hasn’t. So I guess one could argue that Friends is a more timeless show because it adheres closer to sitcom norms and thus is able to exist easier outside of the decade it was popular in.

I love Seinfeld, but it is definitely a product of its time. To better appreciate it one has to be aware of the context of other shows of its time and why it was so revolutionary for its time. It’s sort of like Citizen Kane in that regard - it’s truly only appreciated by those who know of what came before and how it changed what came after. Removed from its context it’s simply a good movie. I work with students of varying ages and nobody is really watching Seinfeld anymore, however The Office is actually REALLY popular with middle schoolers.

My wife grew up in a third world country without a TV and she loves Seinfeld and rewatches it constantly. You don't need to have any larger cultural or sitcom context for that show to be funny simply because all of the characters are brilliant and the writing is top notch.

She also fucking hates Friends. Probably why we get along so well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Seinfeld is obviously a better show than Friends, but Friends has been able to be fairly popular with Gen Z kids in a way that Seinfeld hasn’t. So I guess one could argue that Friends is a more timeless show because it adheres closer to sitcom norms and thus is able to exist easier outside of the decade it was popular in.

I love Seinfeld, but it is definitely a product of its time. To better appreciate it one has to be aware of the context of other shows of its time and why it was so revolutionary for its time. It’s sort of like Citizen Kane in that regard - it’s truly only appreciated by those who know of what came before and how it changed what came after. Removed from its context it’s simply a good movie. I work with students of varying ages and nobody is really watching Seinfeld anymore, however The Office is actually REALLY popular with middle schoolers.

A lot of it has to do with Netflix. Up until this year Friends was readily available on it. Office is a constant on there.

Seinfeld is on Hulu.