Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Seinfeld is obviously a better show than Friends, but Friends has been able to be fairly popular with Gen Z kids in a way that Seinfeld hasn’t. So I guess one could argue that Friends is a more timeless show because it adheres closer to sitcom norms and thus is able to exist easier outside of the decade it was popular in.

I love Seinfeld, but it is definitely a product of its time. To better appreciate it one has to be aware of the context of other shows of its time and why it was so revolutionary for its time. It’s sort of like Citizen Kane in that regard - it’s truly only appreciated by those who know of what came before and how it changed what came after. Removed from its context it’s simply a good movie. I work with students of varying ages and nobody is really watching Seinfeld anymore, however The Office is actually REALLY popular with middle schoolers.

It's odd that Gen Z is embracing Friends and not Seinfeld. The humor seems more timeless in Seinfeld. Friends was always overrated. I'll never rewatch it.

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

It's odd that Gen Z is embracing Friends and not Seinfeld. The humor seems more timeless in Seinfeld. Friends was always overrated. I'll never rewatch it.

That's mostly because Friends is a group of terrible people the audience is supposed to love while Seinfeld is a group of terrible people and the audience is in on the joke. It's why I could never get into shows like Friends or even dramas like Sex and the City, but am totally cool with Seinfeld or Shameless.

I have a couple friends that just recently watched Seinfeld for the first time and love it. I think Seinfeld's popularity would grow if they threw it on Netflix as opposed to Hulu. It wouldn't be Friends popular, but it's definitely not some show that is past its time. 

Younger people are very into Curb (I mean, all ages are, but younger people watch Curb without seeing Seinfeld). 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

"Timeless" is a word that can have different meaning, imo. If your comedy is outdated because the culture has moved past where the show was to an extent where the jokes are offensive, then yeah, definitely not timeless. But I don't think having a payphone in your show means that it's not timeless. That's silly.

Yeah, it's like saying you can't watch Westerns cause they are riding horses when they should be driving cars. 

30 minutes ago, johnny said:

I have a couple friends that just recently watched Seinfeld for the first time and love it. I think Seinfeld's popularity would grow if they threw it on Netflix as opposed to Hulu. It wouldn't be Friends popular, but it's definitely not some show that is past its time. 

Younger people are very into Curb (I mean, all ages are, but younger people watch Curb without seeing Seinfeld). 

I love love love Seinfeld...but I think Curb is better.

11 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

If you're a connoisseur of good writing, acting and show-running, and you vibe with the very Jewish sense of humor, Seinfeld is a treat.

31 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Friends and Seinfeld are both 90s sitcom legends and I will never understand the appeal of either. 

That is the hill I will die on.

:thinking:

Oh, and—

Georgia Governor  calls for signature audit.

Apparently some poll workers got caught on CCTV doing...something shady looking.

I don’t think Biden needs Georgia if the rest of his states hold right?

Dammit, I’m asking *those* kind of questions again...I’m so fucking done with this election.

But we, apparently, are not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Oh, and—

Apparently some poll workers got caught on CCTV doing...something shady looking.

Dammit, I’m asking *those* kind of questions again...I’m so fucking done with this election.

Using signatures as proof is such bullshit.  I'm 37 and my signature has never been terribly consistent and it's certainly not the same as it was when I registered to vote 19 years ago

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Oh, and—

What are you doing with these posts? Honestly? “I don’t think Biden needs Georgia if the rest of his states hold right?” For real, lol?

2 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Yeah, I really ought to take a news break until freaking January.

Call it PTSD--Post-Trump Stress Disorder.

What I don't get is why this is being made to look like news when Kemp was calling for this 2 weeks ago:

ap-20317558897949.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Georgia's secretary of state said earlier Friday that Joe Biden had been certified as the winner of Georgia's 16 electoral votes.

22 minutes ago, Joe said:

What I don't get is why this is being made to look like news when Kemp was calling for this 2 weeks ago:

ap-20317558897949.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Georgia's secretary of state said earlier Friday that Joe Biden had been certified as the winner of Georgia's 16 electoral votes.

My bad, I missed that--I thought this was Kemp reacting to Trump's whole "I was ashamed to have supported him" shpiel with a new call for an audit.

Which might have been significant given that Raffensberger has already been critical of Trump's attacks on Georgia's Republican leadership.  One would think that would have signaled that said leadership was no longer interested in caving to Trump.  In that context renewed cucking would be...concerning.

In all seriousness, if I had to put money on it I'd bet that none of these attempts to challenge election results pan out--but I would have put money on the nation never electing an orange Twitter troll, and airing out political anxieties here costs me $0.  Things often seem 'inconceivable' in this country right up until the point that they happen, y'know?

49 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Using signatures as proof is such bullshit.  I'm 37 and my signature has never been terribly consistent and it's certainly not the same as it was when I registered to vote 19 years ago

Plus the signature being compared against is often something like a really low resolution signature pad, which may have not even been calibrated properly, that you used when providing a signature at the DMV. One time I had some test center asshat nearly refuse to let me take the GRE because of that precise problem with trying to get my signature in their sign-in book to match the one on my old NJ license. Really does wonders for your test performance to have your blood pressure spiked over stress like that right before the test.