Man of Steel - The most underrated superhero film of all time

John Campea brilliantly explains why Man of Steel is one of the best superhero films of all time and definitely the most underrated. I've felt this way myself from the beginning but he explains it much better than I could have.

If you think I'm going to watch a 30 minute video explaining why Man of Steel, a movie where the central conflict of the movie is Zod refusing to move his car because he already parked it, then you're sorely mistaken.  The only way Man of Steel is the most underrated is if you consider it to be a steaming pile of shit as opposed to a mountain of shit belching out radioactive fire.

• Haha 3

Maybe I'll watch this movie later, maybe not, but I'm not sure I can take this guy seriously after seeing a video from him RAGING that Robert Pattison said he wasn't going to use his quarantine time to bulk up for Batman. 

I prefer it to most if not all Marvel and DC live action films (outside batman begins and dark knight), though that doesnt mean its better on a technical level than everything else (script, acting, etc)... Its surprising because Superman never has been one of my favorites, maybe its the sci fi that pulls me in.

as far as underrated? nah... its like all movies in any series in that it will always get judged against what came before and against how other medias have portrayed the established character.

I am curious as to what comic film would be underrated...

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

I am curious as to what comic film would be underrated...

Daredevil Director's Cut jumps to mind but I haven't watched it in years. I would also say Edward Norton's Incredible Hulk is pretty underrated as well. Dr. Strange too which is a very visually impressive movie but doesn't get the credit for it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Daredevil Director's Cut jumps to mind but I haven't watched it in years. I would also say Edward Norton's Incredible Hulk is pretty underrated as well. Dr. Strange too which is a very visually impressive movie but doesn't get the credit for it.

If the DD Directors cut fixed Elektra...

I did enjoy the Norton Hulk, the end battle just needed to be better... the visuals on that were bad (save a few great shots)..

Dr Strange is very impressive visually, but Dr Strange is a somewhat off putting character...is it the actor or just the character in general (not familiar with the comic)..

14 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Dr Strange is very impressive visually, but Dr Strange is a somewhat off putting character...is it the actor or just the character in general (not familiar with the comic)..

Well he was very arrogant at the beginning, it wasn't towards the end he became likable but he's still kinda a different kind of arrogant now.

I just remember a washed out grey look and me looking at my phone to see how much longer until it was over. 

I want a modern Superman movie that is hopeful, something that resembles the 1978 film that had the hopeful theme and made everyone feel good and proud. Man of Steel tried something darker. Dark is okay for Batman, but not Superman.

• Like 1

I think it is a little interesting that in both superman threads currently going there are people who like MOS who didn't really like superman as a character before.  I'm not sure what point that proves - but it is obviously a different characterization than what is typical for the character.  

10 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think it is a little interesting that in both superman threads currently going there are people who like MOS who didn't really like superman as a character before.  I'm not sure what point that proves - but it is obviously a different characterization than what is typical for the character.  

I am the odd man out cause I enjoyed MOS and I love boy scout Superman. I love the different versions for what they are . I like seeing someone’s vision of an established character by breaking the rules that writers and readers have set for that character.

There are a few key moments that would make Man of Steel an incredible movie if they weren't Snyder as fuck. There's a lot to like in there, but making Superman seem even occasionally conflicted about saving / having contempt for humanity while also being perceived as its savior was a huge misfire. If you want him to be Doctor Manhattan... set things up differently.