2020 Nintendo lineup to include multiple Mario remasters (Eurogamer)

ShreddieMercury

"First, the report states Nintendo will release "most of Super Mario's 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch"."

Some might not care for so many remasters, but Mario Galaxy is comfortably my favorite game of all time, and the only reason I still have my Wii U.  I also never played Mario Sunshine so this is great news to me!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-30-sources-nintendo-switch-2020-line-up-dominated-by-mario-games-old-and-new#comments

2 hours ago, number305 said:

Let me preface this by saying I know it won't happen...

But damn.  Release this whole thing in 4k for the PC, series X and PS5 in one big collection (like the Halo collection).  They could charge $100 for it and people would snap it up.

You'll be able to run them at 4k with an emulator :troll:

I really hope this is a Mario All Stars 2 for Galaxy 1/2, Sunshine, and Mario 64. I’m ok with 3D World being a separate $60 release since I feel like the former is already wishing for too much knowing Nintendo..but please include 3D land for that.

Release those and also Odyssey 2 and a new Paper Mario and you got $240 from me in Mario games this year what more do you want you monsters.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

The more people that get to enjoy Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World, the better.

And no, they won't take out the waggle in the Galaxy games.  Pointer controls are already a given with the star bits and bubble sections.

Well pointer controls will have to be optional because of the lite but they might do something equally annoying like mandatory gyro to control the pointer but they might as well just let you use the analog too at that point which plays fine (i’ve tried it in dolphin).

They really should remove the waggle though, it’s not comfortable to use laying in bed playing, but Odyssey had waggle you couldn’t turn off so.

10 hours ago, chakoo said:

I’m pretty sure that is what the shield tv release in China is.

I stand corrected on the pointing.

Watched a video of that, with pointer controls on the right stick.  It looks terrible.  A good bit of the fun with the Galaxy games was being able to multi-task, platforming and pointing simultaneously.  With cursor controls that bad it just looks like a chore now.  It’s better just to stop running so you can point.

So I know people will :lol: me, and I really shouldn't expect this since they remastered single Wii U games for the Switch....

But what are the odds that some of these are compilations? Like a 2D Mario compilation, a combo that includes Mario 64-Sunshine, or anything like that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

So I know people will :lol: me, and I really shouldn't expect this since they remastered single Wii U games for the Switch....

But what are the odds that some of these are compilations? Like a 2D Mario compilation, a combo that includes Mario 64-Sunshine, or anything like that?

No need to laugh, because that's exactly what they are!  According to updated details from Eurogamer, Mario 64, Galaxy and Sunshine will be packaged together as "Super Mario All-Stars 2".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-31-more-details-emerge-on-nintendos-mario-remasters

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I really just want the original Super Mario All-Stars. I had it on snes but i missed it on Wii.

I'd drop $20 for it but i know Nintendo will want at least $50 :(

The original Super Mario All-Stars would probably end up being free on the SNES virtual console that comes with the online subscription. That is, assuming Nintendo would actually start adding more SNES games to the catalog.

47 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

i just hope any nintendo “remasters/reimagines” dont drastically alter the graphics of those games... a can update can look great but too much of a changes hurts the spirit of the original games

I think the only one that needs a drastic update would be Mario 64 due to its age. Yet with that said the updates they made in Mario 64 DS were pretty good and the zelda 64 updates done for 3DS were also pretty solid. I can see sunshine getting the Zelda WW style updating when it went from GCN to WiiU. Galaxy & 3D World should be just fine as is scaled up to HD. 

30 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, I am assuming these are just HD remasters where the point was to do little work and rake in the money, but.... make new games. Kinda tired of getting 1-ish new sequel per console. 

Don’t mind the 3D Mario update schedule personally.  There’s a wait, but you never get more than 2 in a row without some kind of reinvention.

I’m more interested in them not screwing up Paper Mario again.

Keep in mind, with the original All-Stars, those games were remade into 16-bit for the SNES. So if they did another All-Stars for the 3D games, surely they would remake them, right?

I'd be curious how they handle Sunshine. FLUDD was designed for the analog triggers of the Gamecube. You can get it to work decently in Dolphin, but it's still a bit janky.

Still blows my mind they haven't released a NEW Super Mario All-Stars with all of the NSMB games.