~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Still nothing for me. I owed on my 2020 return but didn't pay right away, so I'm thinking maybe they are mailing me a check since my bank account information wouldn't have been on my 2020 return. Balls.

From what I understand, your tax filing has a lot to do with it.

I, uh, *erhm* forgot to file my taxes last year (I didn't owe anything, so it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things), now my stimulus checks are held until I file for 2020. Even though they're based on 2019 taxes? I don't quite get it.

I got my stimmy this morning. 

$225. :| 

I don't really need it, but that's a bad look to all the middle class suburbanites that got 10x that amount under Donald fucking Trump. 

I don't want to really reduce politics to "give more money to people than the previous president did" but for some people, this is going to be a slap in the face. And for others that benefit so much more under this bill than Trump's stimuli (ew) it'll be great... until it ends. Then it's "back to poverty to you dorks. Hope you enjoyed it!"

These small tastes of actual social governance are so much more sour when they're so incredibly impactful yet made so temporary.

14 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I got my stimmy this morning. 

$225. :| 

I don't really need it, but that's a bad look to all the middle class suburbanites that got 10x that amount under Donald fucking Trump. 

I don't want to really reduce politics to "give more money to people than the previous president did" but for some people, this is going to be a slap in the face. And for others that benefit so much more under this bill than Trump's stimuli (ew) it'll be great... until it ends. Then it's "back to poverty to you dorks. Hope you enjoyed it!"

These small tastes of actual social governance are so much more sour when they're so incredibly impactful yet made so temporary.

I only got $74.48. I better try not to blow it all in one place. :silly:

On the last two I got $963 and $363 and I would have gotten $100 more the first time if I hadn't filed 2019 right before the checks went out. 

And I don't think anyone benefited more from this one than the previous two? If you got the full amounts last time you got $1800 total. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

And I don't think anyone benefited more from this one than the previous two? If you got the full amounts last time you got $1800 total. 

I mean in terms of direct cash plus all the additional assistance available to lower income people. 

I was reading a news article when the change was announced about people making in the $80k-$100k range who didn't lose income but had big costs related to COVID, got stuck supporting family members who did lose income, etc. There's definitely a bunch of people out there for whom this is a really material "fuck you" and not just bad optics. 

29 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I don't want to really reduce politics to "give more money to people than the previous president did" but for some people, this is going to be a slap in the face.

EqqxbRDW4AEJvJ5.jpg:large

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Looking like I'm getting a paper check again. Whomp whomp

I got a paper thing in the mail from the IRS this week about the $363 from January saying I should contact them if I haven't received it seven days from the date on the letter, which is March 19, 2021. :confused: No idea why, got my hopes up for a moment doe.

43 minutes ago, Joe said:

Not sure if anyone here has mentioned this, but the UI benefits being tax deductible up until $10,200 applies to 2020 tax returns, too. I did not expect that.

Yeah, there are a lot of people that might need to amend they're 2020 returns.

106838957-1613006966481-gettyimages-1849
WWW.CNBC.COM

The $1.9 trillion stimulus package that Congress aims to send to President Biden this week may mean some people need to amend their tax returns.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Not sure if anyone here has mentioned this, but the UI benefits being tax deductible up until $10,200 applies to 2020 tax returns, too. I did not expect that.

Yep. My wife lost her job last year and claimed unemployment. Received just about $10k too.

I did our taxes a few weeks ago and between federal and state, withholding was about $1,800.

I know Ron Wyden (my senator) is working to get the IRS to automatically refund the difference. 

My wife just noted that when we were at Walmart for the vaccine shots today that a LOT of people were buying TVs 😂

Diamond Joe Droppin Dollas

BuT We'Re GiViNg PeEpLe ToO MuCh MoNeYz!

Guess what, twats, turns out when you give the poor money, they spend it, which just so happens to make the people who own the companies richer. It's almost as if tax cuts to the wealthy are counter-productive for basically everybody, even the wealthy?

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Guess what, twats, turns out when you give the poor money, they spend it, which just so happens to make the people who own the companies richer. It's almost as if tax cuts to the wealthy are counter-productive for basically everybody, even the wealthy?

It's also as if trickle-down economics is complete bullshit.

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Something like 70% of our economy is consumer spending so giving people money = line go up