~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

This is also a lot more than just Manhattan. I think it does a disservice always naming that borough specifically since it conjures weird emotions in people and especially when Brooklyn and Queens are quickly becoming as expensive. In general, living in the tri-state area is fucking expensive.

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

Also! Final thought: I don’t care specifically if 400k people get taxed more at all. I just think it’s frustrating that COL is never even a consideration!

Yes, as I said on the previous page I was reacting to the specific thing being presented (people making $400k) but really I mostly just care about the complete disregard for COL in these discussions. 

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is also a lot more than just Manhattan. I think it does a disservice always naming that borough specifically since it conjures weird emotions in people and especially when Brooklyn and Queens are quickly becoming as expensive. In general, living in the tri-state area is fucking expensive.

Is CT any cheaper?

50 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

COLA for taxes is nothing more than subsidizing gentrification. Rentiers get enough benefits from the tax code already; we need to push home prices down, not up. 

Oh shit the suburban douche canoes around here would kill you for saying that. Even mention multi family homes in "neighborhoods" is like saying you are going to bus ghetto gang bangers into white suburbia and let it go to shit.  

8 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Oh shit the suburban douche canoes around here would kill you for saying that. Even mention multi family homes in "neighborhoods" is like saying you are going to bus ghetto gang bangers into white suburbia and let it go to shit.  

That's what I love about my area, there's a big mix of housing types. 600k single family homes around the corner from trailer parks type stuff. Million dollar waterfront properties next to 200k condos.  It all works really well. 

Arguing about what the $400k crowd should be paying is honestly just a distraction.

By some estimates, the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans manage to avoid paying about a quarter-trillion dollars of owed taxes every single year.

money-cash-taxes-irs-milliionaires.jpg
WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

A new Treasury Department report reveals how few millionaires get audited, with billions of dollars uncollected. Progressive Democrats are demanding a crackdown.

47 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

That's what I love about my area, there's a big mix of housing types. 600k single family homes around the corner from trailer parks type stuff. Million dollar waterfront properties next to 200k condos.  It all works really well. 

We have a mix of that, but everyone hates change.  The 30 year bungalow owners hate the young money bags coming in and tearing down small homes and putting up new homes. We added a bike lane and it was the end of the world for people that use a road with a 35 MPH speed limit as a main throughway even though a half mile over there is Woodward Ave which is "45" AKA 50+ and 4 lanes in each direction.  The local city FB pages are the best troll material I've ever had access to. 

In the new areas of my city you have pockets of $600k single-family homes, but generally you can't go more than a few blocks without hitting a large apartment or condo complex ($200k condos). It's good urban design to have mixed-income housing fairly close to each other. But you need local stores, too, not just grocery store desert suburbs.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Isn't the $400K crowd in the top 1% of income earners?

More like 1.7-2% these days, so probably a blown transmission away from poverty

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

More like 1.7-2% these days, so probably a blown transmission away from poverty

lol. But in all seriousness, it is sad how many people who make that much money have just expanded their lifestyle as they've earned more. Lifestyle inflation is a serious issue. Just because you make $50k more one year, that doesn't mean you should increase your spending by the same amount. Living within your means is a recipe for long-term success. I get the desire to keep up with the neighbours and live a good life...but if a family making a combined $60k has nothing left over at the end of the month and so does a family making $400k...I have little sympathy for the latter when or if they take a tumble.

Yup. Lots of high income earners live on the edge of financial ruin by scaling all their expenses up with income 1:1. They are still better off the lower income earners in negative income situations as you’re more likely to land on your feet further up the income ladder due to better connections. 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

lol. But in all seriousness, it is sad how many people who make that much money have just expanded their lifestyle as they've earned more. Lifestyle inflation is a serious issue. Just because you make $50k more one year, that doesn't mean you should increase your spending by the same amount. Living within your means is a recipe for long-term success. I get the desire to keep up with the neighbours and live a good life...but if a family making a combined $60k has nothing left over at the end of the month and so does a family making $400k...I have little sympathy for the latter when or if they take a tumble.

After making $2k more than previous years I feel attacked for needlessly upgrading my PC!

28 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I thought the IRS cuts started during the Bush years, but this only quotes 2010.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A not-insignificant factor in the end of the Western Roman Empire was the combination of the rich evading their "fair share" of tax remittances and the unwillingness/inability of the imperial state apparatus to enforce compliance.

Same thing happened in the Spanish empire. The rich families had sons become priests which made their income non taxable while the empire waged wars to the point that it couldn't sustain the costs. Everyone was declaring themselves to be holy therefore no taxes. 

Global minimum tax as in our insane nationality/citizenship based taxation that no other country engages in except for Somalia with its 2% diaspora tax, which we denounced them on the floor of the UN for as extortion of their citizens? 

Inflation happens regardless of what the government dose because increasing prices is the easiest way for business leaders to show increased revenue.

We'll all be dead by then (except maybe @legend, inside a computer), but I do wonder what the world will look like in the late-21st-Century when populations begin to decline globally. Population will likely keep rising in many places due to migration...but how will capitalist systems react when overall constant growth cannot be maintained?

• Like 1