~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

CNN: No one fucking cares about bipartisanship. Just results.

I have to listen to the whole thing front to back, but there was a really good debate on NPR's On Point on the filibuster, and they had someone who worked in the Senate from the 70s into 09 who supported it, and one who worked in the Senate from 2010 - 2017 who wants the filibuster gone. What was interesting to me was the, as this board seems to know, nostalgic recollections of how a filibuster would spark compromise and negotiations with the minority. He made an argument that the threat of a filibuster last year actually improved the first COVID bill, though I never heard that.

The person who worked in the Senate last decade made a point that the first guy's experience sounds great but wasn't at all what he experienced. The main drive was that if the opposition party doesn't want to compromise at all, then the filibuster just makes the Senate a failed institution where things don't get done and that eliminating it would better encourage bipartisanship. He brought up the people who voted to convict the president didn't meet the "arbitrary" 60-vote requirement, and it's rare that you'll get a full 10 people on the opposite side to sign onto something. There was a second person who opposed the filibuster who talked about the huge bipartisan support for the bill among regular Americans, yet not one Republican voted for it, and that's the party that people are supposed to reach across the aisle for, and the host, while remaining unbiased, did bring up Obama's book where he negotiated with Grassley for ages and said, "Hey, is there ANYTHING I can change in this bill to get your support?" and Grassley said no even though he supported much of the concepts of the bill.

And a different point but one I never really considered was that the post WWII world and Cold War world brought the parties together at that point to work on legislation as there was a common enemy out there, whereas it's a different time historically right now where we have enemies within, including the Jan 6 insurrectionists who somehow feel minority rule should be standard.

It was a robust discussion, but one thing I got from it was I felt bad for the older gentleman who worked in the Senate decades ago. He has this lovely view of what the Senate should be and what it was and I could tell listening to him that he has a good heart, but he talks so much about people working together and Senate relationships and all I could think was how little that means for the average American who wants shit done and doesn't care who likes whom.

Worth a listen. Just go to the 49 minute one from March 10, "Inside The Fight To Reform The Senate Filibuster," and download it: 

icon_510053-04b45cd1a8a21ed57501ef602aa3
WWW.NPR.ORG

Let's make sense of the world – together. From the economy and health care to politics and the environment – and so much more – On Point host Meghna Chakrabarti speaks with newsmakers and real people about the issues that matter most. On Point is produced by WBUR for NPR.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Adam Jentleson, a staffer for Harry Reid, who I've posted tweets from here, wrote the book on the filibuster

In case you wanted to read that

Oh sweet, THAT was him on the show!

I appreciate that. I'm reading HOAX right now, the book detailing how Trump built his relationship with Fox News prior to his run for president, but that needs to be my next read (unless there's a behind-the-scenes of Trump's campaign that's as good as Shattered on Hillary's campaign).

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

icon_510053-04b45cd1a8a21ed57501ef602aa3
WWW.NPR.ORG

Let's make sense of the world – together. From the economy and health care to politics and the environment – and so much more – On Point host Meghna Chakrabarti speaks with newsmakers and real people about the issues that matter most. On Point is produced by WBUR for NPR.

Thanks for this! I'll definitely be taking a look - really useful post to. :)

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Bipartisanship is just like hypocrisy in that no one in the "real world" gives a damn.

Indeed. While I hate hypocrisy on an individual level, person to person, when one party is full of bad faith hypocrites, the party trying to actually do some good should just go full on hypocrite to get the job done because you know the other side is only holding you to account to fuck with you. Basically, the GOP are internet trolls.

Conservatives are really settling into the messaging that either the bill will have no effect on an already improving economy, or will burn the country down because it will have so much effect it overheat the economy.

GOP 2021. All of the intellectual dishonesty of the Trump years without the carny appeal of Trump. Should be a winning combination.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

i’m glad that Jason isn’t a foxnews commentator because I’m not ready for #pengate right now.

When you get more excited for Lauren Boebert's nipple than the most progressive piece of legislation of our lifetime, you may have a problem :p

• Haha 1

It should also be noted that it doesn’t matter what day its signed, the provisions are being put in to motion at the various agencies already. The signing is a formality that will get done when they can make a big show of it as they rightly politically should.

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Jason: Push the brand! Biden Bucks, baby!

Also Jason: Why is he waiting to do a formal signing ceremony with dozens of cameras and news journalists covering it rather than sign it with a pen he happens to have in his pocket?

HAPPENS TO HAVE?! DOES AIRFORCE ONE NOT HAVE PENS ON HAND?!

We need a pen count on airforce one asap, there should be a whole tray of them. Trump had a tray of pens on airforce one, typical looney dens removing pens thinking it somehow saves paper when in reality they are intentionally removing pens so that they aren’t able to sign things into law when they are supposed to.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It should also be noted that it doesn’t matter what day it’s signed, the provisions are being put in to motion at the various agencies already. The signing is a formality that will get done when they can make a big show of it as they rightly politically should.

Yeah, that's what I figured. 

The cutoff is Sunday, right? That's why Trump's tantrum in December actually shaved a week off the UI extension in the last bill. Because he let it hang through the weekend.

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

HE SHOULD HAVE SIGNED IT BEFORE IT PASSED.

Biden should really build a time machine, suplex Hillary off the DNC stage in 2016 and announce himself as the nominee, but force the election to instead be a street fight (to the death, obviously) with Trump. Anything less and he has failed as the 46th President.

• Haha 1