~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

What you don’t realize is some of these families making $400k a year not only have the high cost of living in their area but also may have several other property tax payments from other homes they’ve purchased as well. There’s probably people with 5 homes who made 800k a year before and now are struggling and they have to pay rent for all 5 of those homes. It’s just real rough out there right now for everyone ya know.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Does the COL adjustment I'm envisioning have to be constant across all tax brackets? No, probably not.

I am always going to die on this hill because at the end of the day there's always a higher rung on the ladder.

Even if we take at face value that $400K means you don't get a Lambo and to go on vacation (I kinda believe half of that)... who gives a shit. If you're making $650K a year, you probably can't afford a Bugatii Veyron and to charter a flight to Hawaii. At some point the scale becomes preposterous. IIRC a couple years back to get to the top 1% of household income in NY state, you needed to make around $550K, and the average income of the top 1% was a bit north of $2M. So yeah, if you're making $400K, like I said there's a decent chance you're in the middle or on the low end of income for people in your circle.

But I don't care. I don't care that someone living on the upper east side making $400K a year is more adversely affected by a higher tax rate because of their specific circumstances because they're still wealthy by any reasonable measure even accounting for their unique circumstances.

There's so much ink spilled and airtime wasted discussing the tax implications for someone who might have to slum it by flying commercial to Disney World for a week instead of chartering a flight to Phuket for three weeks. These people can all afford it. Tax them all. Maybe they'll have to move to Inwood, I'll pour one out for them.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

People who own a second home in Rural PA and claim residency there instead of NYC:

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Right, this too.

If you're making 6 figures, even on the low end, almost anywhere and your TAX BURDEN is breaking your balls, you fucked up. Period, the end.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Well yeah, but that's neither here nor there. :p

Yes it is, because it's the difference between "let's raise taxes to make everyone's lives better" and "let's raises taxes because fuck people making $400k".

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes it is, because it's the difference between "let's raise taxes to make everyone's lives better" and "let's raises taxes because fuck people making $400k".

I don't know where the cutoff is for when earnings become a moral failure, but I don't think $400K is close to it. This isn't about "fuck people making $400K," but I'm also not going to listen to them playing the world's smallest violin to the tunes of, "I Ain't Got No Lambo," "My Vacation Was Domestic," and, "The Economy Plus Blues."

And yeah, I wish my taxes didn't go to endless war, the police industrial complex, etc., in favor of healthcare and infrastructure, but taxes need to go up regardless.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

And yeah, I wish my taxes didn't go to endless war, the police industrial complex, etc., in favor of healthcare and infrastructure, but taxes need to go up regardless.

But without a proper plan on how to use the money it will in fact just keep going to things it shouldn't. 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

And?

It lessens the impact of "even AOC is for this!" knowing it helps her, the politician. 

Especially strange coming from you given that you should know that COL differences are largely a product of housing and transportation costs which are wildly inflated due to nimbyism. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It lessens the impact of "even AOC is for this!" knowing it helps her, the politician. 

Especially strange coming from you given that you should know that COL differences are largely a product of housing and transportation costs which are wildly inflated due to nimbyism. 

Okay, so if we get housing and transportation costs down then the COL adjustment would automatically ratchet down in turn. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

$400k vs $1 billion, obviously the same thing. 

$400K is a dank salary but in general I don't have an issue with the amount... just shut the fuck up about your taxes and that you cannot buy literally anything you want.

Kylie Jenner setting up a gofundme for an amount that I assume is pocket money for her is a fucking travesty, and being a billionaire is absolutely a moral failing.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

$400K is a dank salary but in general I don't have an issue with the amount... just shut the fuck up about your taxes and that you cannot buy literally anything you want.

Kylie Jenner setting up a gofundme for an amount that I assume is pocket money for her is a fucking travesty, and being a billionaire is absolutely a moral failing.

It's almost like we should have a progressive income tax to compensate for this disparity

@Jason

I am not trolling I just legit dont know but I am gonna use some bum ass math

400k salary pre tax

250k after tax

20k a month

10k rent for a 3 bedroom apt in Manhattan which should get you this 

WWW.THEALDYNNYC.COM

>Located in Upper West Side, The Aldyn offers studio 1, 2, 3 & 4-bedroom apartments for rent accompanied by a wide selection of amazing amenities. Call us!

That leaves you with 10k for bills and groceries , that seems like a far stretch from "sit down and do careful budgeting". Again I am not trolling or dog pilling on ya i am just not sure how you see it this way

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Aight it’s Jason and me vs. the world. I know it’s an annoying broken record, but the fact that COL is never even considered in these types of bills is fucking stupid.

Like, all I'm asking is that these policy decisions not be driven solely by going off what people in Buttfuck Nowhere think a certain salary is worth. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

How is a locality adjustment complicated? The feds already do it for GSA salaries. 

The math isn't complicated, it's everything else which is. Once you take out the housing and transportation aspect, there's 0 reason to have a COL adjustment between Manhattan KS and Manhattan NY. Relatively minor differences in energy and food costs doesn't necessitate the creation of a country wide COL modifier which can be gamified by whole population segments, a situation which isn't comparable to federal employees, a small segment of a local employment population.

I will say it is weird to me that we are tossing around these liberal wet dreams to pass when we kill the filibuster, but there seems to be little talk of going back to something approaching the New Deal tax brackets.

I have little sympathy for someone pulling in a million dollars a year  but it's still ridiculous that liberals can't come up with something better than taxing them at the same rate as someone earning a billion.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

I will say it is weird to me that we are tossing around these liberal wet dreams to pass when we kill the filibuster, but there seems to be little talk of going back to something approaching the New Deal tax brackets.

I have little sympathy for someone pulling in a million dollars a year  but it's still ridiculous that liberals can't come up with something better than taxing them at the same rate as someone earning a billion.

You don't want to engage in class warfare, do you?!