What are you playing today?

19 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Nope not yet. Guess I should get Zero Escape: The Nonary Games first? (it has 999 in it).

Yeah I would play 999 first, I played it on ds but the vita version seems like they did a good job of converting it from dual screen. I actually preferred it to VLR but both are fantastic and I think you really want to play it first story wise.

• Halal 1

23 hours ago, chakoo said:

So I finally beat Danganronpa 2 (the second game I've beat this year/last few years). So now the dilemma, I found the game a buggy mess on switch (not talking about chapter 6) and at multiple times I was tempted to quit and replay the game on Vita. I had no major issues/bugs when playing the first game through on vita. So do I suck it up and just buy the digital game for D3 on switch or do I cough up the $$ for a physical copy for vita (digital is not ideal with my vita being tied to JPSN not US PSN). I mean at least CIB copies for Vita are way way way down from 2 years ago where used CIB was going for $200+ but still $80 +shipping is still a lot. =/

I'm also wondering if I should take a small break to play something else. I do have a copy of "Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward" on vita I haven't played yet. Puzzle/Mystery games like these have been a bit easier for me to play in small 30m-1h chunks recently.

As for Danganronpa 2 itself, I generally enjoyed the game. The story was a bit better in that you less went into trials knowing how did it and everything was just a formality, like the first game, but at times it did rush things too much at the end. I also more liked the setting and navigation in the first game more. Some of the new trial mechanics were worse but the agreement statements were cool. I feel the series spends too much time trying to throw random mechanics in that weren't needed as the debates are the best part of the trials and sometimes you do so little of it.

I've tried to get into both Danganrompa's on the advice of a friend, and I just can't get into it. I usually really enjoy these kinds of games, but I couldn't do it. The games seem to go on far too long for me. I got about 8 hours into the first through sheer force of will, then checked online and saw I had to play 3x that to get get to the end, and I diupped. Same with Part 2, saw it was on Game Pass, decided to try it because I do usually like these games, but no bueno. I do know they have a pretty dedicated fanbase though.

I also have Virtues Last Reward on Vita (somewhere in my box of Vita games), and that's a game I really enjoyed. I rarely hear anyone talk about it, so if you do play it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. 

As for what i'm playing today, it'll probably be Wo Long, GT7 VR, and Outer Worlds (I had never fired it up before yesterday). My nephew is with us this week, so I'll probably be forced into some Halo: Infinite, which he just discovered. He is 12 and playing for the first time, so he's obsessed. The good part? He said something I've been waiting to hear for two years now. "I'm never playing Fortnite again!' I just hope he sticks to that, lol. We ordered him a Series S to give him when we drop him off with his mom this weekend. He has a PS5 (he chose it because he saw multiple uncles with them), I thought he'd be going hard on VR (and he is, he's played it a lot), but man, he's been playing a lot of Halo.  

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I've tried to get into both Danganrompa's on the advice of a friend, and I just can't get. I usually really enjoy these kinds of games, but I couldn't do it. The games seem to go on far too long for me. I got about 8 hours into the first through sheer force of will, then checked online and saw I had to play 3x that to get get to the end, and I diupped. Same with Part 2, saw it was on Game Pass, decided to try it because I do usually like these games, but no bueno. I do know they have a pretty dedicated fanbase though.

I also have Virtues Last Reward on Vita (somewhere in my box of Vita games), and that's a game I really enjoyed. I rarely hear anyone talk about it, so if you do play it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. 

Danganronpa 1 & 2 are very slow to start. Sadly I feel like they don't really start to pick up till chapter 3. Chapter 1 is a really slow to get through but chapters 4-6 wrap up way too fast, specially in D2. My switch says I've played around 30 hours on D2. So imo it's not a very long game.

I'll make sure to post my impressions of VLR once I play it. Last night I tried the demo for Process of Elimination on switch but the game locked up on me 15 mins in. =/

• Halal 1

I’ve just found then final beam in Metroid Prime so off to use that. I feel like I’m getting to a point where I may use a guide to grab a few of the e expansions, health upgrades, and most importantly, the 10 or so Artefacts I haven’t even thought about yet.

Update: grabbed an artefact so that’s nice. If we have any spare times with all the Mother’s Day celebrations, I’m going to try and get a few more, the wave buster and possibly aim for a health expansion. 

👆 I did all these things.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Pentiment. This is fun. It fulfills my history nerd and video game itches. 

I keep forgetting about this game but it seems like it would be right up my alley for the reasons you mentioned; thanks!

I see that it's "Verified for Steam Deck", and I don't know if you actually own a Steam Deck, but: Would you say it would play well on a handheld platform? It seems like its somewhat slower pace and more basic controls might work well there. 

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

I keep forgetting about this game but it seems like it would be right up my alley for the reasons you mentioned; thanks!

I see that it's "Verified for Steam Deck", and I don't know if you actually own a Steam Deck, but: Would you say it would play well on a handheld platform? It seems like its somewhat slower pace and more basic controls might work well there. 

Yeah, that’s what I’ve played it on while visiting my family this weekend. It’s a perfect handheld game and I figure that’s mainly how I’ll play it. 

• Like 1

Finished Marvel Midnight Suns over the weekend.  The gameplay is really solid throughout, it's really unfortunate that they decided to include the "friendship" stories in the abbey -- they really detract from the overall experience, and you HAVE to engage with them to finish the game.

Got back into Forza Horizon 5 -- plan to play the Hot Wheels DLC, and have that complete in advance of the new Rally DLC.

Hoping to start Hogwart's on my Steam Deck while travelling tonight.

I got a racing wheel and spent some time in F1 2022 and it was great.

Even though it's "entry level" my new G29 is a much better wheel than the last racing wheel I had for the dreamcast: MC2_DC.jpg

The force feedback is much more powerful and the new Logi just feels good to use. There is a lot of tweaking, and I'm sure my desk height and monitor distance are less than ideal, but most of all I need to figure out a better solution for my chair and the pedals. The pedals move around my wooden floor a bit and I had to bring in a folding chair because my office char is on wheels. Overall I'm happy with the hardware, and if I end up using it enough I can already imagine upgrading, but this wheel should be good to start with.

As far as games, I was going to try Forza, but with with an F1 race this weekend, I thought I'd give F1 2022 a try since it's on gamepass. I wanted to familiarize myself with the circuit they were racing on this week. I quickly found that F1 racing is quite hard, especially once I turned off a bunch of the assists. It also didn't help that Jeddah is one of the more difficult tracks on the calendar.

It did have exactly the effect that I was hoping for though. I spent roughly 4 hours doing time trials and while I completely suck at it and couldn't imagine actually racing anyone yet, I really did get to know the track much better than I had just watching it on TV. I could really appreciate how actual drivers were taking each corner, could very quickly identify where each turn was and better understood the knock on effects of missing the line going into certain corners. I've really been enjoying watching F1 for a few years, but driving the track really enhanced my experience.

Next up I'm going to try it in VR, hopefully after finding some better seating and pedal solution.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I got a racing wheel and spent some time in F1 2022 and it was great.

Even though it's "entry level" my new G29 is a much better wheel than the last racing wheel I had for the dreamcast: MC2_DC.jpg

The force feedback is much more powerful and the new Logi just feels good to use. There is a lot of tweaking, and I'm sure my desk height and monitor distance are less than ideal, but most of all I need to figure out a better solution for my chair and the pedals. The pedals move around my wooden floor a bit and I had to bring in a folding chair because my office char is on wheels. Overall I'm happy with the hardware, and if I end up using it enough I can already imagine upgrading, but this wheel should be good to start with.

That DC wheel is pretty cool though. 

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

As far as games, I was going to try Forza, but with with an F1 race this weekend, I thought I'd give F1 2022 a try since it's on gamepass. I wanted to familiarize myself with the circuit they were racing on this week. I quickly found that F1 racing is quite hard, especially once I turned off a bunch of the assists. It also didn't help that Jeddah is one of the more difficult tracks on the calendar.

It did have exactly the effect that I was hoping for though. I spent roughly 4 hours doing time trials and while I completely suck at it and couldn't imagine actually racing anyone yet, I really did get to know the track much better than I had just watching it on TV. I could really appreciate how actual drivers were taking each corner, could very quickly identify where each turn was and better understood the knock on effects of missing the line going into certain corners. I've really been enjoying watching F1 for a few years, but driving the track really enhanced my experience.

Next up I'm going to try it in VR, hopefully after finding some better seating and pedal solution.

Nice. I also have a G29. I really want something like a Fanatec, but I just can't find a reason to spend that much money. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Finished Marvel Midnight Suns over the weekend.  The gameplay is really solid throughout, it's really unfortunate that they decided to include the "friendship" stories in the abbey -- they really detract from the overall experience, and you HAVE to engage with them to finish the game.

Got back into Forza Horizon 5 -- plan to play the Hot Wheels DLC, and have that complete in advance of the new Rally DLC.

Hoping to start Hogwart's on my Steam Deck while travelling tonight.

Yeah, Midnight Suns is good, I need to get back to it, but the friendship stuff is awful. I absolutely love tactics based gameplay, and a big fan of Firaxis past games. I always wondered if testers are just awful at their jobs and don't tell the teams what's bad and what's good, or if the devs just never listen? Or if people on the team itself don't speak up and say "Hey, this stuff is hurting the game, maybe we can tell our story without it"? 

• True 1

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

That DC wheel is pretty cool though. 

Nice. I also have a G29. I really want something like a Fanatec, but I just can't find a reason to spend that much money. 

Yeah, when looking at wheels it's really easy to just keep inching up the various lineups until you're spending a ton of money. If you're primarily playing racing games like many do, then sure, you can justify that investment. As someone that just wanted to see if I'd enjoy racing games again the Logi made more sense.

Then again, I've already doubled my investment buy buying a Next Level Wheel Stand that gets here later this week. That should help with my mounting, chair, stability, and storage issues. That was another thing where I was just going to buy a anti-slip mat, but then I thought about a small stand, and next thing you know I'm putting about as much as a spent on the wheel into a metal frame to hold it.

• Halal 1

I was going down the rabbit hole of what a basic sim steering wheel combo was going to cost:

$1,000 for the Wheel/Pedals/DD Wheel Base (I was looking at a Fanatec DD CSL 8NM, McLaren GT Wheel, CSL Elite v2 pedals)

$800-$1,200 for the Frame

$200 for a sim seat

And that was for some of the cheaper stuff.

Decided I was out at that point....

• True 1

Continuing through that crazy late jan/feb release schedule I’m finally on to Metroid Prime! Game rules and looks amazing on the oled switch. I just got the suit that lets you withstand fire and made it up to some snow area now so I’m making some progress. 

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Continuing through that crazy late jan/feb release schedule I’m finally on to Metroid Prime! Game rules and looks amazing on the oled switch. I just got the suit that lets you withstand fire and made it up to some snow area now so I’m making some progress. 

I love that game but I'm really awful at discovering new items/areas. So I got stuck for the 50th time and took a break. I'll definitely be back to beat it and I'll just use a guide again. The game looks great even docked. It's a masterpiece really. 

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I love that game but I'm really awful at discovering new items/areas. So I got stuck for the 50th time and took a break. I'll definitely be back to beat it and I'll just use a guide again. The game looks great even docked. It's a masterpiece really. 

I’ve been going fine so far just kinda running into what seem to be the right areas but I imagine it gets more mazy later on. I’ll definitely just look stuff up if I catch myself chasing my tail for too long, nothing wrong with that. 

I’ve been really enjoying MP, definitely a game where looking at each map area (once you uncover a new item) can either remind you of areas you’ve not visited (grey) and maybe able to, or better yet, doors that you now have the beam for.

I’ve currently got Friday booked off as a work life balance day - so along with sorting out things at home and a few life admin bits, I’m aiming to lie in bed during the middle of the day and sink a few hours more into it. 

• Halal 1

Had a Kirby Dreamland 3 craving last night because I love Rick and the art style so I’ll see a picture of it and then need to play it. I realized I always just start it and play a bit but never follow through even though it’s great so I’m going to actually finish it on Switch now, I’m at the third world boss. It’s not as slow as I remembered though obviously not as fast as the new ones. It’s still very good. What a fantastic franchise honestly.

• Like 1

Woke up early(for me) and played some RE4. I'll also likely play some more Pentiment today.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:12 AM, stepee said:

Had a Kirby Dreamland 3 craving last night because I love Rick and the art style so I’ll see a picture of it and then need to play it. I realized I always just start it and play a bit but never follow through even though it’s great so I’m going to actually finish it on Switch now, I’m at the third world boss. It’s not as slow as I remembered though obviously not as fast as the new ones. It’s still very good. What a fantastic franchise honestly.

I've got Dreamland 3 on SNES and still need to play it. But Lately I've been playing levels of Return to Dreamland Deluxe.

• Like 2

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Woke up early(for me) and played some RE4. I'll also likely play some more Pentiment today.

I've got Dreamland 3 on SNES and still need to play it. But Lately I've been playing levels of Return to Dreamland Deluxe.

Return to Dreamland was so good! I never beat Dreamland 2 or Kirby Dreamland Adventure also, I hope those come to virtual console soon (I want to play the Adventure remake they had on gba) 

Still I’d kill for a new Kirby Collection on Switch with all of the mainline Kirby’s including the ds/3ds ones (and have all the 3D ones run in HD)

Kirbys Dreamcourse is also AMAZING

I’ve now got that ‘gulf in my life’ feeling that comes from completing a game and having nothing in place for it. After a bit of thinking, I’ve downloaded Persona 4 Golden. I really enjoyed 5

and this will be a good game for commutes, time at home etc

Pkus it should hopefully last me up to the point Zelda comes out and I lose access to the Switch until my wife finishes it. 

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Pkus it should hopefully last me up to the point Zelda comes out and I lose access to the Switch until my wife finishes it. 

I’ll be transitioning to Zelda soon. Adjusting my backlog plans around big releases is one of the reasons I rarely buy games new anymore.  Games Pass/PS Extra would also drive me crazy, with the churn of games coming in and out.  The out being worse.

Anyways, I’m dipping back into Mario x Rabbids 1 after hardly giving it a shot before.  I figure that’s one I can drop and come back to if I don’t finish in time.