~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Welcome back, however briefly, to something resembling reality governor Abbot

Unfortunately, it's probably too late. Unless he is willing to lock things down again to get it under control and reduce the numbers (before pursuing a more realistic opening strategy), I can't see things slowing down a whole lot. It doesn't seem that the public has really bought in to being safe.

Musk creates thousands of jobs and thats why we hate him!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/06/25/tesla-plant-firings/

When he defiantly reopened the company’s plant in Fremont, Calif., against county orders last month, Elon Musk promised Tesla employees they could stay home if they felt uneasy. They would not be penalized.

If “you feel uncomfortable coming back to work at this time, please do not feel obligated to do so,” he wrote in an email sent to the company’s factory workers in early May that was viewed by The Washington Post.

Nonetheless, two Tesla workers say they received termination notices alleging a “failure to return to work” after they opted to take unpaid leave to protect themselves and their family members when the factory restarted production the second week of May.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Welcome back, however briefly, to something resembling reality governor Abbot

32 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unfortunately, it's probably too late. Unless he is willing to lock things down again to get it under control and reduce the numbers (before pursuing a more realistic opening strategy), I can't see things slowing down a whole lot. It doesn't seem that the public has really bought in to being safe.

I understand the feeling that states need to try different approaches to opening up to save their economies, and that sometimes you don't know what works until you try it.

But states like Texas, Georgia  and Florida have been so cavalier about things with the "we're not New York" attitude that it's hard not to see them as  making the exact same "locking the door after the burgler is already in the house" mistake that we already saw multiple times within just the past two monthes.

Texas looks exactly like those situations where states turned a big problem into a huge problem by ignoring the lag time and how you need to act before the problem is currently punching you right in the face.

Larry Kudlow: Americans Will “Just Have to Live With” Massive Coronavirus Surge

There is no second wave coming. It’s just hot spots. They send in CDC teams, we’ve got the testing procedures, we’ve got the diagnostics, we’ve got the PPE. And so I really think it’s a pretty good situation.

Lawrence Kudlow Has Been Wrong About Everything for Decades

36 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Texas looks exactly like those situations where states turned a big problem into a huge problem by ignoring the lag time and how you need to act before the problem is currently punching you right in the face.

Nah, locking things down again today won't fix anything when the death toll will rise again in a couple of weeks. It'll be at that point when everyone asks why there was even a need to shut things down again if people are still dying in record numbers regardless. People REALLY don't understand how the trend here works and these avaricious politicians are more than happy to take advantage of it.

My brother in law, who still lives with his mother, has a fever and cough, but allegedly tested negative for covid. My wife and I are trying to keep her family from going on a beach trip that includes their 85 year old grandmother and 50 year old uncle with downs and heart issues. They just won't fucking listen.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nah, locking things down again today won't fix anything when the death toll will rise again in a couple of weeks. It'll be at that point when everyone asks why there was even a need to shut things down again if people are still dying in record numbers regardless. People REALLY don't understand how the trend here works and these avaricious politicians are more than happy to take advantage of it.

People aren't used to anything being delayed and I think culturally we're really bad about seeing ourselves as part of a whole.  It's why we have people who say they aren't sick so they aren't wearing a mask, despite all the evidence saying you can really control the spread if everyone just wears some cloth in front of their nose and mouth.

When I found out that my coworker was positive and I was getting tested, my mind raced through all the people I had potentially passed it on to. I have been safe, but there is always a chance you are not safe enough, and I felt a huge amount of guilt. Fortunately the test was negative, but it's really causing me to double down on mask wearing and not going anywhere unless it's absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

Coworker has been feeling sick with a small fever the past 4 days and still came into work. She just left today after talking with her Dr who told her to leave work immediately and get tested. Pretty ridiculous she didn’t mention this to anyone while feeling sick. 

so I may have been exposed which really makes me nervous since my wife has MS. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Florida records nearly 9000 cases, around a 4000 case jump from yesterday.

4f8b2f75-7122-4cb4-a9e0-ac983058aa38_114

If there's any silver lining, it's that the percent positive didn't jump the same amount, so much of the jump can actually be attributed to increased testing for once.

The trend in percent positive is still going in the wrong direction.

Unless they more than doubled testing in a day it isn't possible to not have the percent positive increase, which is probably why the page is 404'd now, lol.

Ok dug around the site and found the article, and like i thought, positive % jumped from 8.72% to 13.05, thats still pretty big jump.

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Unless they doubled testing it isn't possible to not have the percent positive increase, which is probably why the page is 404'd now, lol.

No, that was me. I put the wrong link: https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/florida-coronavirus-numbers-june26/67-8de17be9-e4ef-4ef4-9dbe-fb7f434fe538

Maybe I didn't phrase it well, but it jumped up, just not to the level I'd immediately assume when hearing that we recorded 9000 (the percent positive from a few days ago was worse). The trend is still bad.