~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

51 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The liquids ban by the TSA was put in place to try and prevent liquid explosives that would be strong enough to take down a plane from coming aboard. 

You can make a liquid explosive powerful enough to take down an airplane that fits within the 3.4 oz limit. 

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Yeah we've really stopped talking about the numbers, huh? Up to 115,000 dead so far in the US, with daily numbers still staying in the 1,000 range. It's not dropping as fast as it was, and in fact could rise again if the current trends of new cases and hospitalizations hold. Even assuming it stays at current levels, that's another 80,000 dead by the end of August.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah we've really stopped talking about the numbers, huh? Up to 115,000 dead so far in the US, with daily numbers still staying in the 1,000 range. It's not dropping as fast as it was, and in fact could rise again if the current trends of new cases and hospitalizations hold. Even assuming it stays at current levels, that's another 80,000 dead by the end of August.

I believe I read that hospitalizations are at all-time highs in 14 states.

• Sad 1

God I’m going to sound like @sblfilms, but really...that was kind of expected. Shutting down the economy was meant to avoid overrunning healthcare facilities and buy time to scale test and trace systems. Whether or not the latter happened to the extent it needed to is up for debate, but this was inevitable. 

22 minutes ago, Chris- said:

God I’m going to sound like @sblfilms, but really...that was kind of expected. Shutting down the economy was meant to avoid overrunning healthcare facilities and buy time to scale test and trace systems. Whether or not the latter happened to the extent it needed to is up for debate, but this was inevitable. 

Okay, but: Gyms, museums, hotels, day camps, arena sports can reopen in L.A. County on Friday

The numbers in California are already reaching record highs from the reopening protests and Memorial Day. The numbers haven't even started reflecting the BLM protests and the soft reopening that started around the same time as the protests. The second waves of pandemics are always worse and this is just hastening getting to that second, bigger wave. 

25 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I agree....but it didn't work. People aren't using masks due to partisanship, the cases may rise a lot faster in some states that they should, had actual preparations and education taken place.

As much as I hated my Org Change classes in school, it did teach me that for big changes in anything you need key stakeholders to back that change...and half the political power in the US (actually more at the state level) wants to make this political.

I mean, even if we reopened everything but made people wear masks everywhere outside the home we'd be better off.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I agree....but it didn't work. People aren't using masks due to partisanship, the cases may rise a lot faster in some states that they should, had actual preparations and education taken place.

It's not even partisanship, it's just people not taking this seriously and wanting it to just be over with already. None of my friends are Republicans (I think a lot of them may be more apathetic than anything else) yet all of them apparently think that being outside means it's okay to bunch up and not wear masks, when we get together in a park or whatever I'm the only one wearing a mask and trying to sit a bit away from everyone else. 

If you compare the daily case counts between us and Europe, our shut downs only stalled the virus. We didn’t get enough buy in. The European graphs show a steep decline whereas ours started going down but theN flattened. And here we are. 

We can reopen, but it should be illegal to not wear a mask. 

I’ve already seen people relaxing all around me. We are still requiring masks where I work, but I noticed grocery stores and many other businesses have stopped the mandate even though hospitalizations are at all time highs in Texas and infection rates and total daily case counts are trending up.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Did he really say this? That makes 0 sense.

Edit: meant to quote the @osxmatt quote

• Confused 1

EU says China behind 'huge wave' of Covid-19 disinformation (The Guardian)

China has been accused by Brussels of running disinformation campaigns inside the European Union, as the bloc set out a plan to tackle a “huge wave” of false facts about the coronavirus pandemic. 

The European commission said Russia and China were running “targeted influence operations and disinformation campaigns in the EU, its neighbourhood, and globally”. While the charge against Russia has been levelled on many occasions, this is the first time the EU executive has publicly named China as a source of disinformation. 

French politicians were furious when a Chinese embassy website claimed in mid-April, at the height of Europe’s pandemic, that care workers had abandoned their jobs leaving residents to die. The unnamed Chinese diplomat also claimed falsely that 80 French lawmakers had used a racist slur against the head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onweb/second-u-s-virus-wave-emerges-after-state-reopenings

A second wave of coronavirus cases is emerging in the U.S., raising alarms as new infections push the overall count past 2 million Americans.

Texas on Wednesday reported 2,504 new coronavirus cases, the highest one-day total since the pandemic emerged.

A month into its reopening, Florida this week reported 8,553 new cases -- the most of any seven-day period.

California’s hospitalizations are at their highest since May 13 and have risen in nine of the past 10 days.

A fresh onslaught of the novel coronavirus is bringing challenges for residents and the economy in pockets across the U.S. The localized surges have raised concerns among experts even as the nation’s overall case count early this week rose just under 1%, the smallest increase since March.

6 hours ago, Jose said:

I can't believe mask-wearing is somehow a fucking partisan issue. It really is embarrassing to be American sometimes (a lot of times).

Where I live in California there are still a lot not wearing masks. Maybe like half the people at a grocery store have a mask. Went to SF the other day and I think I only saw one person walking who didn’t have a mask. Everybody else did. 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

It's not even partisanship, it's just people not taking this seriously and wanting it to just be over with already. None of my friends are Republicans (I think a lot of them may be more apathetic than anything else) yet all of them apparently think that being outside means it's okay to bunch up and not wear masks, when we get together in a park or whatever I'm the only one wearing a mask and trying to sit a bit away from everyone else. 

It’s for sure not just partisanship, I agree.  Someone who works for me took the bus to the office to snag a second monitor this week and he was the only person wearing a mask. Boston is pretty liberal and lots of people just don’t give a shit. I live 13 miles north of the city now, and when I walk around my neighborhood I’ve seen outdoor barbecues and parties, almost nobody walking is wearing a mask now, nobody running ever did, it’s a crapshoot if people will cross the street if they see you walking towards them without a mask, and people are right back to walking their dog right up to mine when we’re out on a walk. The only places I see masks really being used now are stores that enforce them and social distancing.