~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That is really interesting. Looking at NY’s numbers compared to CA for example, where ~40% of NY tests result in a positive and only ~10% Of CA tests come back positive. Similar 5-10% positive results for a lot of other states.

It makes sense to me that you'll have have a more infections in the most densely populated city in America with a heavily used mass transit system.

Question:  Is the subway system still running?  If it is, why?

Looking at the state stats, it's very likely that Florida will overtake California today or tomorrow with total number of infections.  I'd give it 2 or 3 days until they surpass them in deaths as well.  

The fact that this is the case is pretty good evidence that early intervention on the behalf of California was a good thing, and DeSantis is an idiot.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That is really interesting. Looking at NY’s numbers compared to CA for example, where ~40% of NY tests result in a positive and only ~10% Of CA tests come back positive. Similar 5-10% positive results for a lot of other states.

It could have a number of root causes:

1) If there is a more severe shortage of tests, they could be reserving them for more high risk cases (testing bias)

2) There is a higher absolute level of Covid-19

In the case of NY, I suspect it is both of these.

On a tangent, my brother/sister-in-laws in Taiwan have commented that as they are out, they are constantly being tested for their temperature.  Given the relative success Taiwan has had at containing the spread of the virus, I am surprised that no one is talking about that here.

If essential businesses are constantly checking their employees (particularly front facing ones) for evidence of fever, and forcing those with even mildly-elevated temperatures to self-quarantine, even without testing, we would probably get through this faster.

24 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It makes sense to me that you'll have have a more infections in the most densely populated city in America with a heavily used mass transit system.

Question:  Is the subway system still running?  If it is, why?

Transit use and density have exactly 0 to do with infections. They can exacerbate a broken public health response but they are not causes for why there is an outbreak. Counter points are Seoul and Tokyo, along with most of the developed Asian world and Alpharetta, GA as a negative example.

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It could have a number of root causes:

1) If there is a more severe shortage of tests, they could be reserving them for more high risk cases (testing bias)

2) There is a higher absolute level of Covid-19

In the case of NY, I suspect it is both of these.

On a tangent, my brother/sister-in-laws in Taiwan have commented that as they are out, they are constantly being tested for their temperature.  Given the relative success Taiwan has had at containing the spread of the virus, I am surprised that no one is talking about that here.

If essential businesses are constantly checking their employees (particularly front facing ones) for evidence of fever, and forcing those with even mildly-elevated temperatures to self-quarantine, even without testing, we would probably get through this faster.

As of now, Western countries would not tolerate such an invasion of personal privacy, and there may be legal reasons (HIPPA, etc) for not legally being able to do so

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Transit use and density have exactly 0 to do with infections. They can exacerbate a broken public health response but they are not causes for why there is an outbreak. Counter points are Seoul and Tokyo, along with most of the developed Asian world and Alpharetta, GA as a negative example.

So we are keen on blaming churches on potential outbreaks but are pumping the brakes on the idea of the virus spreading on mass transit?  

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

So we are keen on blaming churches on potential outbreaks but are pumping the brakes on the idea of the virus spreading on mass transit?  

You don't have to go to church, but many essential workers rely on public transit to get to their jobs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

You don't have to go to church, but many essential workers rely on public transit to get to their jobs. 

Fair enough.  But I'd figure the streets are deserted enough in NYC that many of these people could take a bike or another mode of transport right now.

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Fair enough.  But I'd figure the streets are deserted enough in NYC that many of these people could take a bike or another mode of transport right now.

Not sure how it is in NYC but in Los Angeles the streets have arguably gotten more dangerous because there's been a ton of insane aggro speeding now that there's the room to do so. 

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

All trolling aside, this forum (and plenty of other forums I drop in on occasionally) was 1000% better before Twitter...I feel like a good 50-60% of posts now are just re-posts of a tweet by someone else.  I miss the days when *everyone* was forced the take the time to articulate their own thoughts, and didn’t have the (now grossly abused) option of outsourcing the discursive work to a shitty social media platform.

/grumpy old man rant

Twitter in general was a mistake.

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

They are both vectors of the public health failure, but one is required to continue something resembling a functioning society.

48 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

One thing that always gets emphasized when you read about the fall of the Roman republic is that the Senate kept meeting for centuries afterwards, seemingly out of habit, even though they had no actual power and didn't really do anything.

The Roman Senate never stopped existing, not even after the end of the Western Roman Empire in 476AD.

Hell, they still existed in the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire even after that where they were absolutely powerless from the start!

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

With recent trends in both hospitalizations and fatalities seemingly holding, it appears cautiously reasonable to suggest that both Italy and Spain are on the other side of their respective peaks.

I really hope so. Apparently, NY just reported their first decrease in either deaths or cases (or both?). My g/f told me about it 5 minutes ago.

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The NY data is eye-popping.

One possible explanation is that NY is primarily testing sick people so that pool is inherently going to contain a larger proportion of infected individuals.

Yep! The California situation is very odd. It's hard to gleam what is going on there because they are sitting on so many tests.

A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies largely waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers.

• Guillotine 2

Federal COVID-19 benefits will be deposited within 3-5 days of applying, Trudeau says, as site opens tomorrow.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-updates-canadians-on-covid19-benefits-program-1.5522492

If you choose to get a cheque by mail, it will take up to 10 days.

Everyone who applies will receive $500/week for the next 16 weeks (or until they return to work). Government is also looking into program for those who do not qualify, like graduating students who normally could have expected a job this summer, etc.

Canadians can begin applying for emergency income support benefits Monday, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government is also working on ways to help people who aren't covered by the programs brought in so far, including students.

The Canada emergency response benefit (CERB) will give people who lose their source of income due to COVID-19 about $2,000 a month for 16 weeks.

Canadians who are eligible for employment insurance (EI) can apply for that coverage, and will receive CERB benefits for four months before the EI benefits kick in.

Conservative finance critic Pierre Poilievre is holding a news conference at 1:30 p.m. ET to comment on the government's response to COVID-19 and CBCNews.ca is carrying it live.

The public can start signing up for CERB as of 6 a.m. ET Monday, but Canadians are being asked to apply based on their birth month to avoid overloading the portal.

Applicants born in January through March can apply on April 6, the first day the portal opens. Those born April through June can apply April 7, those born in July through September on April 8 and Canadians with birth months October through December can sign up on April 9.

Trudeau said Canadians can expect to receive payments within three to five days via direct deposit, or within 10 days by mail.