~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

7LAWOSJJB5JWJI2K6UEGCAGFGM.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Around 9,000 people in China are probably dying each day from COVID-19, UK-based health data firm Airfinity said on Thursday, nearly doubling its estimate from a week ago, as infections ripped across the world's most populous nation.

Around 9,000 people in China are probably dying each day from COVID-19, UK-based health data firm Airfinity said on Thursday, nearly doubling its estimate from a week ago, as infections ripped across the world's most populous nation.

COVID infections started to sweep across China in November, picking up pace this month after Beijing dismantled its zero-COVID policies including regular PCR testing on its population and publication of data on asymptomatic cases.

Cumulative deaths in China since Dec. 1 likely reached 100,000 with infections totalling 18.6 million, Airfinity said in a statement. It says it uses modelling based on data from Chinese provinces before the recent changes to reporting cases were implemented.

Airfinity expects China's COVID infections to reach their first peak on Jan. 13 with 3.7 million cases a day.

That is in contrast to the several thousands of cases reported by health authorities a day, after a nationwide network of PCR test sites was largely dismantled as authorities pivoted from preventing infections to treating them.

Airfinity expects deaths to peak on Jan. 23 around 25,000 a day, with cumulative deaths reaching 584,000 since December.

Since Dec. 7 when China made its abrupt policy U-turn, authorities have reported 10 COVID deaths.

• Sad 2

We've been Covid free at my house since I had it back in June.  But my son can't seem to shake a cold or virus.  Started a day before Thanksgiving.  Had a fever up to 104 off and on for a week and a half with very light cold symptoms.  All tests came back negative. Then another week of being tired and having a cough. All tests came back negative again. More cold symptoms at Christmas. This week he got an ear ache and the Dr was able to prescribe antibiotics. The rest of us are alright but just about everyone we know is either sick or has family that's sick.

• Hugs 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not COVID-related, but certainly worth posting:

107179764-16739870992022-02-01t000000z_7
WWW.CNBC.COM

RSV infections kill between 6,000 and 10,000 older adults every year and result in 60,000 to 120,000 hospitalizations, according to the CDC.

Moderna on Tuesday said its vaccine that targets respiratory syncytial virus is effective at preventing disease in older adults.

The vaccine was 83.7% effective at preventing lower respiratory tract disease, defined as two or more symptoms, in people ages 60 and older, according to the Boston biotech company. It was 82.4% effective at preventing lower respiratory tract disease with three or more symptoms.

No safety concerns have been identified during the clinical trial of the vaccine, according to Moderna. The safety and efficacy data from the trial will be published in a peer-reviewed journal, according to the company. The clinical trial has enrolled about 37,000 people across 22 countries.

Moderna said it plans to file an application for approval by the Food and Drug Administration in the first half of this year. There currently is no FDA-approved vaccine for RSV.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Based on some recent data I’ve seen at work I think I’m skipping this booster. I was planning to do it pre Costa Rica but I think I’m sitting out now. 

What in particular did you read that made you adjust your plans?

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Not COVID-related, but certainly worth posting:

107179764-16739870992022-02-01t000000z_7
WWW.CNBC.COM

RSV infections kill between 6,000 and 10,000 older adults every year and result in 60,000 to 120,000 hospitalizations, according to the CDC.

RSV absolutely wrecked me. I welcome all the vaccines for respiratory crap.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What in particular did you read that made you adjust your plans?

The efficacy against the primary variants seems dubious at best, to outright ineffective at worst. Read one email linked to a study that showed a correlation with increased clot formation but the i was rather small. 

At this point I’ll ride out my M and G immunity and since the morbidity and mortality continues to decrease with newer variants im not as concerned for others if they get from me. But to ne fair I legit tried to get Covid last year while I was traveling a bunch and the US was requiring reentry testing still, so I could show Covid recovered and thus skip that, and couldn’t get it.

25 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

The efficacy against the primary variants seems dubious at best, to outright ineffective at worst. Read one email linked to a study that showed a correlation with increased clot formation but the i was rather small. 

At this point I’ll ride out my M and G immunity and since the morbidity and mortality continues to decrease with newer variants im not as concerned for others if they get from me. But to ne fair I legit tried to get Covid last year while I was traveling a bunch and the US was requiring reentry testing still, so I could show Covid recovered and thus skip that, and couldn’t get it.

The data I've seen from Israel seems to show the bivalent booster is quite effective against the newer variants in terms of preventing severe infection/death.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The data I've seen from Israel seems to show the bivalent booster is quite effective against the newer variants in terms of preventing severe infection/death.

I’m not telling anyone to not get boosted, I likely will once there’s a greater consensus, but due to the other things I’m currently injecting into my body plus my apparent rock-solid immunity it is in my interests to wait for more data. The steroids already predispose me to clot formation after all.

We all got hit with colds in my house now. My son had maybe 2 weeks being healthy and just got a fever again on Tuesday. Dr said he's negative for strept, Covid, flu.  Been going on since Thanksgiving with him.

I definitely have all the cold symptoms. I usually sleep like crap when I have a cold. But I started a routine every night. Nasal massage on my face, then using a neti pot, then getting a shower. Go to bed and I'm able to sleep through the night with very minimal drainage and stuffy nose.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 5

This years respiratory “tripledemic” is not surprising given the emerging evidence that COVID absolutely destroys our immune systems, even in mild to moderate infections. The arise of “long COVID” has been what’s scared me for the majority of the pandemic.

Immunological dysfunction persists for 8 months following initial mild-to-moderate SARS-CoV-2 infection

Immune dysregulation and immunopathology induced by SARS-CoV-2 and related coronaviruses — are we our own worst enemy?

Long-term perturbation of the peripheral immune system months after SARS-CoV-2 infection

• Halal 4

5 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

This years respiratory “tripledemic” is not surprising given the emerging evidence that COVID absolutely destroys our immune systems, even in mild to moderate infections. The arise of “long COVID” has been what’s scared me for the majority of the pandemic.

Immunological dysfunction persists for 8 months following initial mild-to-moderate SARS-CoV-2 infection

Immune dysregulation and immunopathology induced by SARS-CoV-2 and related coronaviruses — are we our own worst enemy?

Long-term perturbation of the peripheral immune system months after SARS-CoV-2 infection

It's for this exact reason that I'm still wearing my N95 mask in most public settings.

That, and I've decided that I really do like concealing most of my face from other people!

• Like 1
  • Halal 3

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That, and I've decided that I really do like concealing most of my face from other people!

I’ve been saying this since mid 2020: We’re all more attractive with masks on. 

That, and they make it easier to say, “go fuck yourself” to assholes at the pharmacy. Smile with your eyes, everyone! 😷

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's for this exact reason that I'm still wearing my N95 mask in most public settings.

I've continued to wear my N95 to work (fortunately only in the office 2 days per week) and while in any indoor situation with others. I'm maybe in the 5% continuing to do so, where I live. I realize I don't really have an endgame plan, but I also know my wife is more vulnerable, so I don't want to risk her getting COVID or having other complications due to it. More and more people I know are experiencing long COVID issues after contracting the disease more than once. I don't know what the endgame for society is, with this.

This has pretty much been the week from hell.

I started vacation on Monday. My first scheduled vacation in nearly a year. My parents arrived from Mexico on Monday morning. They tested positive for COVID on Tuesday. My wife, son, and I all tested positive for COVID yesterday. I was so damn sick yesterday. It was so much worse than when I got COVID in November 2020. I was practically incapacitated and slept the entire day.

Now we have to quarantine thru Sunday. I go back to work on Monday. My parents leave back for Mexico tomorrow.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

We all got hit with colds in my house now. My son had maybe 2 weeks being healthy and just got a fever again on Tuesday. Dr said he's negative for strept, Covid, flu.  Been going on since Thanksgiving with him.

I definitely have all the cold symptoms. I usually sleep like crap when I have a cold. But I started a routine every night. Nasal massage on my face, then using a neti pot, then getting a shower. Go to bed and I'm able to sleep through the night with very minimal drainage and stuffy nose.

I'm in a similar boat. Since Christmas time my little one will be sick for a week, get better for 1-2 days, return to daycare for a day then become sick the next day all over again. I, in turn, end up sick after she improves since I'm the one closest to her and have to watch her when she gets sick =/

I think what has been making things so bad for her is she is transitioning from the infant group to the toddler group at daycare where there is more than twice as many kids and that group tends to get sick more often than the infant group did.

I've never stopped using a mask when going out but now it's more to keep me from getting others sick. Luckily nobody seems to harass me anymore. Yet if they did I have no problems with lowering my mass then explaining to their face that I'm wearing it over being sick from my kid and ask if they would like me to return to wearing my mask. :devil:

-edit-

I forgot to mention I have been doing the at home covid test frequently with me being sick and none of them have come back positive. I think we're just getting the seasonal virus going around (both me and the little one have our flu shots).

• Halal 1