~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Locking people in their homes was never decent policy, ever. People unable to get medecine or food, medical emergencies ignored, depression, suicide, and now, people locked in burning buildings…. Nah, it was never “decent policy”.

Zero Covid is a strategy to reduce cases in a self-contained area to zero...it's not a specific strategy. New Zealand implemented a pretty good Zero Covid strategy, for example. No one here is supporting China's implementation.

107154198-1668785334763-gettyimages-1243
WWW.CNBC.COM

The boosters did not trigger a robust response against BQ.1.1. People with a prior history of infection who received the booster had a stronger response

I wonder if there is a safe way to expedite the deployment of variant specific shots? From

what I’ve read, the pharma companies continue to make updates to the vaccines really quickly but the process to get into the market is still rather slow.

10 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

In my last little stretch of hell, anecdotally I’m confident we’re about to surge again, never less than 10 Covid+ a night in my dept.

Cases seem to be rising again here, as well, and our ERs are already above 100% capacity due to this, flu, and RSV. :( 

We are having a bunch of work done to our house, and we're lucky the contractors we've hired are very understanding of my wife's medical conditions. They were going to start two weeks ago but one of their crew tested positive for COVID, so they delayed. They also have a mandatory vaccine policy for their staff, wearing masks if the owner requests it, etc. Maybe a stereotype, but that sort of behaviour is rare in the trades, here.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've still got a cough from when I got an incidental case of RSV from my daughter back before Thanksgiving.

Mine took ~6 weeks to clear up post infection

Flu is still hitting Canadian children pretty hard. There have been a number of deaths in BC (8) and 1 in Ontario and they're now getting to the point where they will double up children per room to make space. =(

I'm crossing my fingers still atm that we haven't been hit with anything bad recently at home or at my daughter's daycare. 

Against my better judgment I went to my work's office holiday party for a bit and total shock, I got an email today that someone at the party tested positive for COVID within 48 hours of the event. But I wasn't within 6 feet of them for at least 15 minutes so I'm not required to work from home for 10 days because we're apparently still pretending this is how indoor transmission works.

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

Against my better judgment I went to my work's office holiday party for a bit and total shock, I got an email today that someone at the party tested positive for COVID within 48 hours of the event. But I wasn't within 6 feet of them for at least 15 minutes so I'm not required to work from home for 10 days because we're apparently still pretending this is how indoor transmission works.

Relax bro.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Relax bro.

I'm not really worried about getting sick, I'm mostly just annoyed at how this has mostly devolved into safety theater. I appreciate that they're doing contact tracing at all but otherwise it's kind of silly to act like there's some enormous difference between being up close with this person for 10 minutes vs 20 minutes if you were still in the same room for an hour.

This virus-palooza has been quite the ride. An especially severe respiratory virus season combined with drug shortages have led to scenes just short of pure chaos in many pharmacies. 

Drugs currently on shortage:

- beta-lactam antibiotics (amoxicillin, amoxicillin/clavulanate)

- alternatives to the above (particular cefdinir)

- oseltamivir (Tamiflu)

- children’s formulations of Tylenol and Motrin

In short, things you never want to be without. Scary shit, man.

• Sad 1

169bb03daf76b3f5007bc1f39fe48cec
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

The findings could justify changes to driver insurance policies, the authors say.

If you don't want to read the article (I know this board :p ), the tl;dr: is that this study only shows correlation, and likely points to people who refused vaccination also being people who don't think of other people's well-being, care for rules, or acknowledge government regulation. Anecdotally in my life, knowing the people who have refused vaccination even up until today...this fits.

The study looked at a tonne of anonymized government data from Canada in 2021 to compare life events of the vaccinated and non-vaccinated.

Except that vaccination doesn’t make you less likely to pass it on, so I don’t see how it factors into caring about others.

fact is, most young healthy adults are at very little risk of harm from current variants. If it stopped spread (like polio)I would have more problems with the unvaxxed, but as it is, I don’t care. It’s their choice.

I can’t stand most anti-vaxxers I’ve met, but I have zero problem with them choosing not to get vaccinated. Conversely, I have no sympathy if they are one of the unlucky very few healthy people to die. 

• Sicko Sherman 1

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Except that vaccination doesn’t make you less likely to pass it on, so I don’t see how it factors into caring about others.

fact is, most young healthy adults are at very little risk of harm from current variants. If it stopped spread (like polio)I would have more problems with the unvaxxed, but as it is, I don’t care. It’s their choice.

I can’t stand most anti-vaxxers I’ve met, but I have zero problem with them choosing not to get vaccinated. Conversely, I have no sympathy if they are one of the unlucky very few healthy people to die. 

That's sorta my take. I've heard a few complain about getting sick or the symptoms and I'm like 🤷‍♂️ that's on you. 

Boosters reduce your likelihood of getting sick for about 10-12 weeks -- and the efficacy against infection are lower than you would think.

I tested positive for Covid (completely asymptomatic) at the end of December (was tested because I was admitted to ICU) -- I was surprised how cavalier the neurosurgeons were towards it.  Some nurses basically ignored me because they didn't want to enter my room, and the neurosurgeon would regularly enter my room with a chin diaper.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I tested positive for Covid (completely asymptomatic) at the end of December (was tested because I was admitted to ICU) -- I was surprised how cavalier the neurosurgeons were towards it.  Some nurses basically ignored me because they didn't want to enter my room, and the neurosurgeon would regularly enter my room with a chin diaper.

Must be a Canadian thing because when I went to the hospital a couple months ago everyone was required to wear masks, heck if you're visiting a doctor you both have to have the mask on the whole time as well.

My PT office is the first medical office I’ve been in since the pandemic started that no longer requires mask wearing by patients, and that only started the beginning of December

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Must be a Canadian thing because when I went to the hospital a couple months ago everyone was required to wear masks, heck if you're visiting a doctor you both have to have the mask on the whole time as well.

He was required to put on a special gown, mask, rubber gloves and a face shield, which had to be disposed of immediately upon leaving my room. He chose not to. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Boosters reduce your likelihood of getting sick for about 10-12 weeks -- and the efficacy against infection are lower than you would think.

I’m cavalier about it because I’m in the ER.

the amount of times I’ve been in Covid+ rooms and not known is a number I can’t numerate.

I don’t wear the gown, and only mask at work; I’m trusting in my natural and vaccine immunity at this point and I keep the mask on outside to prevent me from spreading it to others if I’m infected. When I’m symptomatic I double mask.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

This info was taken in 2021 when vaccines did a good job of preventing infection, keep in mind (and when that was one of the publicly-toutes benefits). I guarantee that people who refuse vaccination care less about others compared to people who were vaccinated.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it finally happened. I had a positive test. Been at my parents’ for Christmas and I’ve been a little under the weather, had a sore throat for a couple days, then sinus congestion. Today, I noted I couldn’t smell or taste much of anything, so I took one of the home tests they had laying around and it was positive. 

I wouldn’t really give a shit, except my mom is currently on chemo and her WBCs are super low as of her Friday labs. So I feel really bad about that. She tested and it was negative, so we decided to do the two hour drive home tonight instead of risking it further. Not the way I wanted to leave what was otherwise a nice Christmas visit. :/ 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 9