~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

That reminds me of the time a racist VP reported me to HR for abusing the unlimited PTO policy for taking an unexpected 2.5 days because my wife had a miscarriage.  Like, ran home in the middle of the day on a Wednesday and didn't come back into the office until Monday. I got back to the office and I just couldn't find two fucks to give when he explained how he only took a day off work when his dad died, so why should a miscarriage warrant more.

People take fewer days off with unlimited PTO not because they don't want to. At that same company, my direct reports all got at least a 6 weeks off and I forced people to take vacations when I didn't think they were taking enough of them. I disabled a kid's accounts when I caught him responding to emails on his time off. It's not social pressure, but a real pressure from management.

Why does it have to be one or the other? 

On 4/22/2022 at 7:35 AM, CitizenVectron said:

I think you can buy online without one.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

We bought our KN95s from here:

PPE_SUPPLY_-_LOGO_RGB2.png?height=628&pa
WWW.PPE-SUPPLY.COM

High-quality, reliable personal protective equipment from reputable manufacturers. Competitive pricing, same-day delivery in the GTA, same-day shipping and exceptional...

Goddamn, I didn't realize these masks were that expensive for that few quantity. 

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? 

Because I have yet to meet someone that wasn't a crazy boot licker get upset over a colleague taking days off. Everyone wants days off. The only people that don't want folks taking time off are in management positions and they don't want people taking days off because it hurts productivity. It only hurts productivity because, in a mismanaged attempt to save money, they aren't staffing properly and can literally not afford to grant people time off.

What social pressures are keeping people from taking deserved vacation time other than people hoping to turn understaffed firms into impressive year end bonuses for themselves?

• True 1

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

Goddamn, I didn't realize these masks were that expensive for that few quantity. 

That's a rip-off, especially for KN95s. The Honeywell N95s at Costco are $35 CAD for 50 masks.

https://www.costco.ca/honeywell---particulate-respirator-n95---50-masks.product.100843374.html

These are my favourite ones, too. They have wire nose strips and also medical foam on the nose area. Only complaint by big-headed people is that the bottom loop is too small. I haven't had an issue. Pretty sure you don't need a Costco membership to order online.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I understand! You have to make it peace with it dude or not go out. 

If I here another fucktwat recommend never leaving ones house because other people are shitcunts, I swear imma start face punching everywhere. With all due respect 

edit: also, I just want to point out that I know Joe is a great guy.  I’m just responding to make a point that I’m done, I’m done with “respecting” assholes (not Joe) that give no fucks about others or the common good.  I will treat them like the shit they are and call them out whenever I can. The rise of the crazy right (and just apolitical crazy) and with what this pandemic has shown is that us normal ppl have to stand up to fucktwats. Now more than ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I meant how people treat going out with a flu or cold. I think in the US being sick in public much more normalized than in Canada, and much much more normalized than in Europe. I think it mainly has to do with access to sick leave, and how acceptable it is to simply say "I'm not feeling well, I'll just stay home for a bit." Obviously Canada (and Europe) are not nearly on the same level of consideration as say, Korea or Japan, but there is still a big difference compared to the US, where more people are generally forced to be in public (and at work) if they are feeling unwell. 

I’ve lived in Michigan and Ontario - and worked in Quebec. I never noticed a difference about how people handle being sick and going/not going to work. 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hey @sblfilmswhen was the last time you worked for someone other than yourself

i think this might be key here

My BIL works at IBM - and it was pretty clear to him that the unlimited vacation was put in place was in an effort to reduce the amount of vacation used. 

I work at a startup, and my boss expects me to deliver. I schedule my (limited) vacation around deliverables. 

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

My BIL works at IBM - and it was pretty clear to him that the unlimited vacation was put in place was in an effort to reduce the amount of vacation used. 

I work at a startup, and my boss expects me to deliver. I schedule my (limited) vacation around deliverables. 

Yeah the biggest thing is company culture, and specifically your direct manager. But at a big picture level unlimited time off is so that you use less of it and importantly you don’t get paid out for unused time if you quit or are let go. 

i do agree with ghost that only the boot lickers give a rats ass about how much, when, and what time you take off. 

37 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah the biggest thing is company culture, and specifically your direct manager. But at a big picture level unlimited time off is so that you use less of it and importantly you don’t get paid out for unused time if you quit or are let go. 

i do agree with ghost that only the boot lickers give a rats ass about how much, when, and what time you take off. 

The companies I’ve worked at have always been use it or lose it. 

I disagree - I’ve always found that my bosses care if I make there life easy. If I take vacation, and something gets missed, it’s a problem. That means I have to schedule my vacation around my job. 

My previous job gave me 6 paid sick days to use and if we didn’t use them by the end of the year, they were paid out on a different pay check in mid January. First year I had this available for work, I didn’t use a single day. Amazing because it’s also the year I fucked up my wrist but didn’t get any fix for it until 3 years later

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The companies I’ve worked at have always been use it or lose it. 

I disagree - I’ve always found that my bosses care if I make there life easy. If I take vacation, and something gets missed, it’s a problem. That means I have to schedule my vacation around my job. 

And that's something that needs to change. Recently we had an upper-level manager contact a sick employee (who was using a sick day) and made them do up a quick excel report. There was major pushback to that manager from other parts of the organization. You can't make someone feel guilty about taking time off, and there needs to be a balance between the needs of the company and the employee (that balance is that the employee works when they are in, and doesn't do any work when they are off).

We are fortunate to have a good work-life balance, and if stuff gets delayed or missed because people took vacation time or were sick...then it gets missed and will be handled when they return. I'm not going to feel guilty about a company or organization needing something if they don't have enough people to do it.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

And that's something that needs to change. Recently we had an upper-level manager contact a sick employee (who was using a sick day) and made them do up a quick excel report. There was major pushback to that manager from other parts of the organization. You can't make someone feel guilty about taking time off, and there needs to be a balance between the needs of the company and the employee (that balance is that the employee works when they are in, and doesn't do any work when they are off).

We are fortunate to have a good work-life balance, and if stuff gets delayed or missed because people took vacation time or were sick...then it gets missed and will be handled when they return. I'm not going to feel guilty about a company or organization needing something if they don't have enough people to do it.

My boss is the CFO. If I (or my team) miss a deliverable, I either make him look bad in front of the board or the CEO. I’m a big boy. It was pretty easy to figure out that I would never want that to happen. He doesn’t need to ask me. 

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My boss is the CFO. If I (or my team) miss a deliverable, I either make him look bad in front of the board or the CEO. I’m a big boy. It was pretty easy to figure out that I would never want that to happen. He doesn’t need to ask me. 

On any one of my teams, I'm the only one allowed to work during my time off. Why? Because if we're going to miss a deliverable, it's my fault for not doing a better job managing that project. I can't approve time off and then ask folks to work because oops, we were more behind than I had thought.

fbimg.php?is_home=0&is_front_page=0&obje
FSC-CCF.CA

Efforts to improve public health and contain the spread of serious illness must focus on both the lack of paid sick days for many workers and the behaviour of those who have access to paid sick days but choose not to use them because of the prevailing workplace culture

62 percent of workers who say that they would likely go into work despite feeling sick say this would be either because they didn’t want to let down other people who depended on them, or they didn’t want to fall behind on all the work they had to do (or both).

In short, while lack of sick days or job security are important reasons why some people might go into work despite feeling sick, other factors related to work culture, including a sense of obligation to one’s job or co-workers, are equally if not more important.

GettyImages-1059365844.jpg?mbid=social_r
WWW.WIRED.CO.UK

People who work while ill make more mistakes, while sickness presenteeism also lowers productivity and performance

logo_canadalife.svg?anchor=center&mode=c
WWW.CANADALIFE.CO.UK

Our new research reveals over one million Brits are working through sickness during lockdown, amid redundancy fears.

And you can find all sorts of things along these lines around the world. The only thing that increases sick day usage is not more sick days, but more generous sick days. In many European countries as an example, sick day pay was previously less than a full days rate, so when countries increased it to 100% they see an increase in usage. 

I think that you guys are maybe thinking social pressure is just direct peer pressure? Social pressure is inclusive of peer pressure, it is inclusive of direct pressure, but it is broader than either of those things. The company or organizational culture is also a part of social pressure. 

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Scheduling pto around work lmao other way around for me  I’ll usually give enough notice but if something gets missed oh well. That’s the PMs problem for setting terrible timelines. 

Yeah, a few years back I took two and a half weeks off, but I didn't ask, I scheduled and then gave them a heads up a few weeks ahead of time about either tell me what you need before I go or it's waiting until I come back. Helps that we can't bring our work laptops out of the US and I was going to Europe but I don't think I would have been pressured into working on that trip even if it'd been domestic. 

For just a day or two I don't even necessarily give a heads up and will sometimes just let people get my out of office bounceback with my return date. I've asked if I'm going to be causing a problem before booking before, but that's been for something like taking an entire week off on pretty short notice, plus I've never actually been told no don't book the handful of times I've done that. 

4 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

If I here another fucktwat recommend never leaving ones house because other people are shitcunts, I swear imma start face punching everywhere. With all due respect 

edit: also, I just want to point out that I know Joe is a great guy.  I’m just responding to make a point that I’m done, I’m done with “respecting” assholes (not Joe) that give no fucks about others or the common good.  I will treat them like the shit they are and call them out whenever I can. The rise of the crazy right (and just apolitical crazy) and with what this pandemic has shown is that us normal ppl have to stand up to fucktwats. Now more than ever.

You’re misinterpreting what I said, perhaps willfully? Not sure. I don’t advocate going out with a cold and not telling people. I don’t do it. I’m just saying it’s a reality of American society that people do that and think nothing of it. You literally have to make peace with it or not go out. 

This is why you cross train and have backups. I take pto whenever I want. If my boss needs something when I am out, he knows who to contact. I don’t bring my work cell or laptop on vacation. He has my personal cell number in case of an emergency, which he has never used so far. 

• Halal 1

21 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's a rip-off, especially for KN95s. The Honeywell N95s at Costco are $35 CAD for 50 masks.

https://www.costco.ca/honeywell---particulate-respirator-n95---50-masks.product.100843374.html

These are my favourite ones, too. They have wire nose strips and also medical foam on the nose area. Only complaint by big-headed people is that the bottom loop is too small. I haven't had an issue. Pretty sure you don't need a Costco membership to order online.

Unfortunately you do need a Costco membership to order online. I just tried. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Unfortunately you do need a Costco membership to order online. I just tried. 

When you do get them, remember they can be used for 40-50 hours each. After each use hang them to dry. We have 4-5 each hanging in our laundry room that we rotate through. Lowers your cost dramatically. 

• Halal 1

18 hours ago, Joe said:

You’re misinterpreting what I said, perhaps willfully? Not sure. I don’t advocate going out with a cold and not telling people. I don’t do it. I’m just saying it’s a reality of American society that people do that and think nothing of it. You literally have to make peace with it or not go out. 

I was willfully misinterpreting and edited to clear that up.  I was also drunk! Lol

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

When you do get them, remember they can be used for 40-50 hours each. After each use hang them to dry. We have 4-5 each hanging in our laundry room that we rotate through. Lowers your cost dramatically. 

Yep. We have about 200 N95s and wear each of them multiple times.

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm not even entirely convinced you need to rotate them unless you're wearing them for like an hour+ at a go. If you're just putting them on for a few minutes at a time a handful of times a day then I don't really see the point. The main thing I do is that I open up a fresh mask if I'm getting on a plane or doing something else where I'm going to need to keep it on for an extended period of time.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Did not know that. Not sure I want to bother getting a Costco membership just for some masks though :/ maybe I'll go in with my dad next time he goes since he has a membership.