~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

14 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm not even entirely convinced you need to rotate them unless you're wearing them for like an hour+ at a go. If you're just putting them on for a few minutes at a time a handful of times a day then I don't really see the point. The main thing I do is that I open up a fresh mask if I'm getting on a plane or doing something else where I'm going to need to keep it on for an extended period of time.

I thought @Brickwas intending on getting them for going to work, which would be extended wear. 

I’m not sure there are any good studies on how to handle masks that have only been worn for 5 minutes. Clearly, if you’re taking on and off a contaminated mask over and over, you risk contaminating your hands if you’re not careful. 

The anticipated wave has so far been very minor.

Not sure about in the US, but here in Ontario there is still a very active "Zero-Covid" community.  They have gone from being active against the January school re-openings, to now lobbying for the return of vaccine mandates at restaurants and mask mandates.  Some (the fringe) are even blaming the rise of variants on Ontario's lack of restrictions.  Of course, they are all very critical of Kieran Moore and Doug Ford.

106596151-1606309874574-anti.jpg?v=16509
WWW.CNBC.COM

Roughly 58% of people in the U.S. now have antibodies from previous Covid infection, demonstrating how widespread the virus was during the winter omicron surge.

Three out of every five people in the U.S. now have antibodies from a previous Covid-19 infection with the proportion even higher among children, demonstrating how widespread the virus was during the winter omicron surge, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The proportion of people with natural Covid antibodies increased substantially from about 34% of the population in December to about 58% in February during the unprecedent wave of infection driven by the highly contagious omicron variant. The CDC’s analysis didn’t factor in people who had antibodies from vaccination.

The CDC published the data in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on Tuesday.

The increase in antibody prevalence was most pronounced among children, indicating a high rate of infection among kids during the winter omicron wave. About 75% of children and teenagers now have antibodies from past Covid infections, up from abut 45% in December.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

How would they tell the difference between antibodies from prior infection vs vaccination? 

The CDC analyzed about 74,000 blood samples every month from September through January from a national commercial lab network. The sample size decreased to about 46,000 in February. The CDC tested the samples for a specific type of antibody that is produced in response to Covid infection, not from vaccination.

• Thanks 1

I guess that's a wrap!

200417125229-01-coronavirus-cdc-image-su
WWW.CNN.COM

The United States is out of the Covid-19 pandemic phase, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The United States is out of the Covid-19 pandemic phase, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"We are certainly, right now, in this country, out of the pandemic phase," Fauci said on PBS NewsHour Tuesday.

"Namely, we don't have 900,000 new infections a day and tens and tens and tens of thousands of hospitalizations and thousands of deaths. We are at a low level right now. So, if you're saying are we out of the pandemic phase in this country? We are," he said.

Congratulations to everyone on D1P who survived this pandemic!

• Thanks 2
  • Halal 3

211103170531-moderna-vaccine-syringe-021
WWW.CNN.COM

Moderna is seeking emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration for its Covid-19 vaccine for children 6 months through 5 years of age, the company said Thursday.

Moderna is seeking emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration for its Covid-19 vaccine for children 6 months through 5 years of age, the company said Thursday.

"We believe mRNA-1273 will be able to safely protect these children against SARS-CoV-2, which is so important in our continued fight against COVID-19, and will be especially welcomed by parents and caregivers," Stéphane Bancel, chief executive officer of Moderna, said in a news release.

No Covid-19 vaccines have been authorized for children younger than 5 in the US -- about 18 million people -- and a timeline to potential authorization is not yet clear. Moderna officials have said the FDA is expected to move fast, and a Pfizer official suggested its vaccine for younger children could be available in June, if its authorized.

• Like 2
  • Ukraine 1

The data presented by Moderna Thursday limited the analysis only to cases confirmed positive by sensitive PCR tests. In the revised analysis, the vaccines were 51% effective at preventing symptoms in children ages 6 months to under 2 years; they were 37% effective at preventing symptoms in kids ages 2 through 5. The company said these efficacy estimates are similar to those among adults against Omicron after two doses.

They made no claims on effectiveness vs. serious disease or death in their press release.

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

13a7e228b9ced2246e82c01e241da9c9
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Fauci said the US is "out of the pandemic phase," but later clarified that "the pandemic is not over, don't anyone think that."

Just fucking retire already, dude.

• Haha 1
  • True 1