~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Our backup plan for our baby is we have breast milk from after my wife getting her booster shot and if anyone catches the Rona we’re busting that shit out

still covid free

Good response for that cereal or milk coming first thread. 

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Our backup plan for our baby is we have breast milk from after my wife getting her booster shot and if anyone catches the Rona we’re busting that shit out

still covid free

I'm actually in a similar situation right now. We have a 3 week old at home and my wife hasn't been boosted just yet. Once she is boosted and the baby gets fed from milk post-booster shot, do you know how long that protection lasts? 

Are you saying that freezing it and feeding it to him after an exposure will give him extra protection that he wouldn't get just in the natural course of nursing post-booster? 

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is there any evidence that breastfeeding from a vaccinated mother gives the baby any increase in immunity?

Antibodies are present in the milk and this method of pass through protection from mother to child occurs with other vaccines and with natural disease protection and some articles I’ve seen state this is promising cut protection from covid

20 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

I'm actually in a similar situation right now. We have a 3 week old at home and my wife hasn't been boosted just yet. Once she is boosted and the baby gets fed from milk post-booster shot, do you know how long that protection lasts? 

Are you saying that freezing it and feeding it to him after an exposure will give him extra protection that he wouldn't get just in the natural course of nursing post-booster? 

maybe? It’s worth a shot!

Had dinner with some people tonight and at the end of dinner one of the people directly next to me mentions she has "a cold". :| Gonna be beyond fucking pissed if this is how it finally gets me and I have to cancel my travel plans for next weekend. 

covid-19-daily-life.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Canada’s COVID-19 immunity landscape has completely transformed since the emergence of Omicron — with new estimates suggesting that almost half of the...

The B.C. data, provided in advance to CBC News, found close to 40 per cent of the population had antibodies from a previous infection in March, up from around 10 per cent in October. That number is even higher in children under 10, with nearly two-thirds now showing evidence of prior infection.

"Think about that — two out of three children," said Dr. Danuta Skowronski, a vaccine effectiveness expert and epidemiology lead at the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control who led the research.

"Wow, something really dramatically changed and I think we know the name of that change … it's Omicron." 

Skowronski said close to 60 per cent of those aged 10 to 40 also had antibodies from prior infection, and just under 50 per cent of those aged 40 to 60. There were slightly lower levels in those aged 60 to 80 — possibly because they were less socially engaged and vaccinated earlier.

The data also suggests almost 90 per cent of the population has had their immune system primed against the virus in some way — either through vaccination, prior infection or both.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Had dinner with some people tonight and at the end of dinner one of the people directly next to me mentions she has "a cold". :| Gonna be beyond fucking pissed if this is how it finally gets me and I have to cancel my travel plans for next weekend. 

This is what your five shots have been preparing you for! 

If being vaccinated and booster is not enough to make you move on from Covid concern, what will? Everytime I look at the data on 3 dose vaccinated outcomes, I’m still stunned by how good these things are at preventing serious illness in virtually all but the most sickly cohorts.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If being vaccinated and booster is not enough to make you move on from Covid concern, what will? Everytime I look at the data on 3 dose vaccinated outcomes, I’m still stunned by how good these things are at preventing serious illness in virtually all but the most sickly cohorts.

It’s never been about me being worried I’ll get sick.  It’s about doing my part in hopes that other more vulnerable people don’t get it. I’ll continue to get boosters when needed, where a mask at stores and keep my distance when possible. Hardly an inconvenience.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

It’s never been about me being worried I’ll get sick.  It’s about doing my part in hopes that other more vulnerable people don’t get it. I’ll continue to get boosters when needed, where a mask at stores and keep my distance when possible. Hardly an inconvenience.

This is a separate issue from what I’m talking about, but it is also parallel. We have a tool, vaccination, that works better than anybody had hoped. If you’re not using those tools…the outcome is on you now. Post Omicron we clearly aren’t headed toward herd immunity, so choose your own adventure.

Yes silly me, since I'm vaccinated why would I be upset about spending two hours directly next to someone who selfishly went out despite knowing they were sick and possibly contagious, less than a week before I'm slated to get on a plane and go do to an event I've been looking forward to for months. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes silly me, since I'm vaccinated why would I be upset about spending two hours directly next to someone who selfishly went out despite knowing they were sick and possibly contagious, less than a week before I'm slated to get on a plane and go do to an event I've been looking forward to for months. 

I mean why go out less than a week before going on a plane when you know how untrustworthy people are about this shit? I think you’re overreacting, but let’s say you aren’t and we look at this through a Jason lens, that was a dumb decision on your part.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

Well if you look at the numbers your feelings will get better :nerd:

Why wouldn’t you use actual metrics for determining your safety? Pretty much everything I’ve read from experts in the relevant fields expect that Covid is here to stay, so at what point do you change behaviors when you have tools that render the virus rather impotent, like the vaccines?

I am genuinely puzzled because the vaccines and therapeutics we have are so good, If in mid 2020 I would have known we would have all of this widely available in mid 2022, you would not have been able to convince people would still be personally concerned (again, outside of the most sickly groups) about it. 

I really don't get some of these responses. For all the obvious reasons I consider going out to dinner with people while eating outside, in general, a very low risk activity. I don't see what's so hard to understand about being unhappy and a bit nervous about unwittingly sitting a couple of feet away from a sick person who knew they were sick for two hours despite considering the activity in general low risk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

I really don't get some of these responses. For all the obvious reasons I consider going out to dinner with people while eating outside, in general, a very low risk activity. I don't see what's so hard to understand about being unhappy and a bit nervous about unwittingly sitting a couple of feet away from a sick person who knew they were sick for two hours despite considering the activity in general low risk.

Let me rephrase them another way for you: how long will you continue to evaluate the risk level of activities or otherwise feel nervous? Is the efficacy of vaccination (and the therapeutics at our disposal) not enough to overcome those concerns?

9 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Let me rephrase them another way for you: how long will you continue to evaluate the risk level of activities or otherwise feel nervous? Is the efficacy of vaccination (and the therapeutics at our disposal) not enough to overcome those concerns?

So let's say it's winter 2018. You go out to dinner with people and you find out the person you've been sitting next two for two hours came to dinner despite having the flu. You'd be oh that's cool fam no worries, can't live life constantly cowering in fear of disease? 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

So let's say it's winter 2018. You go out to dinner with people and you find out the person you've been sitting next two for two hours came to dinner despite having the flu. You'd be oh that's cool fam no worries, can't live life constantly cowering in fear of disease? 

I would certainly be annoyed, but I can't say I would think much more of the situation beyond that. If you want to practice risk avoidance for the rest of your life that's certainly your prerogative, but for most people that's not a necessity (and it is untenable to think people will continue to act in ways that are unnecessary, even if they should).

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

What the pandemic has impressed upon me is that how I would have reacted in 2018 is not how I would react now. Because things happen and we can learn from them and change how we act. 

• True 1

Just now, CayceG said:

What the pandemic has impressed upon me is that how I would have reacted in 2018 is not how I would react now. Because things happen and we can learn from them and change how we act. 

Well, some of us can learn and change, at least. Apparently not the girl I was sitting to last night. It's amazing how all this has still not impressed upon a lot of people to stay the fuck home if you know for a fact that you're sick. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Well, some of us can learn and change, at least. Apparently not the girl I was sitting to last night. It's amazing how all this has still not impressed upon a lot of people to stay the fuck home if you know for a fact that you're sick. 

Yeah, on the other hand some people just went "back to normal."

• True 1

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Yeah, on the other hand some people just went "back to normal."

And I certainly don't think the answer is to just stay inside my apartment forever and never do anything with anyone, but it's never going to be 2019 again, no matter how much that sucks. 

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

i.e. the people who lacked empathy still lack empathy.

I think this ignores a lot of what we know about how people make decisions.

On the issue of people going out when they are sick, there is significant social pressure put on people to show up unless they are feeling so poorly they can’t come. You see it in the way people explain why they aren’t coming. It isn’t just “I have <insert illness>”, it’s “I can bare get out of bed!”, “I feel so drained”, “x/y/z symptom is kicking my butt”.

There clearly is a sense that a person needs to explain their absence away not on account of having an illness, but based on feeling bad. The flip side of that is a person who has an illness but feels fine is often expected to show up for things. This is even more true in the context of work, but definitely applies in social settings.

I mentioned some time last year that I would hope a long term upside of this would be a change in expectations such that staying away from people when you are sick becomes the norm, not just staying away because you personally don’t feel well.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think this ignores a lot of what we know about how people make decisions.

On the issue of people going out when they are sick, there is significant social pressure put on people to show up unless they are feeling so poorly they can’t come. You see it in the way people explain why they aren’t coming. It isn’t just “I have <insert illness>”, it’s “I can bare get out of bed!”, “I feel so drained”, “x/y/z symptom is kicking my butt”.

There clearly is a sense that a person needs to explain their absence away not on account of having an illness, but based on feeling bad. The flip side of that is a person who has an illness but feels fine is often expected to show up for things. This is even more true in the context of work, but definitely applies in social settings.

I mentioned some time last year that I would hope a long term upside of this would be a change in expectations such that staying away from people when you are sick becomes the norm, not just staying away because you personally don’t feel well.

I think it depends on where you live and who you know. 

I just think if you’re going to go out at this point with a group, you have to assume not everyone is going to treat COVID the same way you do. Like it’s fine if you’re COVID cautious, but if that’s how you expect everyone to act at this point, you are kidding yourself.

And I say that as a COVID cautious person who would have never gone out with a cold. I just know at this point in the pandemic that most people do not think like me and you.

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think it depends on where you live and who you know. 

It is broadly true in the west. YMMV, but I think the complaints, stories, and news postings in this very thread show it is indeed broadly true.

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

I just think if you’re going to go out at this point with a group, you have to assume not everyone is going to treat COVID the same way you do. Like it’s fine if you’re COVID cautious, but if that’s how you expect everyone to act at this point, you are kidding yourself.

And I say that as a COVID cautious person who would have never gone out with a cold. I just know at this point in the pandemic that most people do not think like me and you.

I've accepted that if I'm going to go out with people that I'm going to be in situations where I'm going to be around people who've been doing things I'm not personally comfortable getting back to doing yet and that this could result in them unwittingly spreading it to me. Last year I even dated a girl for a couple of months who was working in a hospital--obviously a very realistic risk there that I could have caught it from her before she knew she was contagious, but she didn't seem to be blatantly reckless about it beyond the inherent risk of her job so I was fine with it. It's the knowingly going around sick that's upsetting here.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is broadly true in the west. YMMV, but I think the complaints, stories, and news postings in this very thread show it is indeed broadly true.

I meant how people treat going out with a flu or cold. I think in the US being sick in public much more normalized than in Canada, and much much more normalized than in Europe. I think it mainly has to do with access to sick leave, and how acceptable it is to simply say "I'm not feeling well, I'll just stay home for a bit." Obviously Canada (and Europe) are not nearly on the same level of consideration as say, Korea or Japan, but there is still a big difference compared to the US, where more people are generally forced to be in public (and at work) if they are feeling unwell. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've accepted that if I'm going to go out with people that I'm going to be in situations where I'm going to be around people who've been doing things I'm not personally comfortable getting back to doing yet and that this could result in them unwittingly spreading it to me. Last year I even dated a girl for a couple of months who was working in a hospital--obviously a very realistic risk there that I could have caught it from her before she knew she was contagious, but she didn't seem to be blatantly reckless about it beyond the inherent risk of her job so I was fine with it. It's the knowingly going around sick that's upsetting here.

I understand! You have to make it peace with it dude or not go out. 

FWIW, I understand where Jason is coming from. I'd be pissed too, even if it was just a cold, let alone COVID. Going out to hang out with people knowing that you're sick but not disclosing that beforehand is a selfish move, IMO. 

Maybe Jason underestimated the risk of going out, but it definitely doesn't help his estimations when critical information is withheld. 

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I meant how people treat going out with a flu or cold. I think in the US being sick in public much more normalized than in Canada, and much much more normalized than in Europe. I think it mainly has to do with access to sick leave, and how acceptable it is to simply say "I'm not feeling well, I'll just stay home for a bit." Obviously Canada (and Europe) are not nearly on the same level of consideration as say, Korea or Japan, but there is still a big difference compared to the US, where more people are generally forced to be in public (and at work) if they are feeling unwell. 

Paid leave doesn’t lead to what you think it does. As an example, many firms in the US corporate world moved to unlimited paid sick and vacation days. Do you know why? Because work doesn’t go away just because you do, and the social pressure to show up is strong so people often use even less days than when they have an actual allotment.

Most people don’t use all their sick days they are entitled to because of these very pressures. 

And the stats on other viruses we deal with each year don’t support the idea that Canadians or Europeans are staying home at higher rates than Americans. I think you are projecting your behaviors here.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Paid leave doesn’t lead to what you think it does. As an example, many firms in the US corporate world moved to unlimited paid sick and vacation days. Do you know why? Because work doesn’t go away just because you do, and the social pressure to show up is strong so people often use even less days than when they have an actual allotment.

Most people don’t use all their sick days they are entitled to because of these very pressures. 

And the stats on other viruses we deal with each year don’t support the idea that Canadians or Europeans are staying home at higher rates than Americans. I think you are projecting your behaviors here.

That reminds me of the time a racist VP reported me to HR for abusing the unlimited PTO policy for taking an unexpected 2.5 days because my wife had a miscarriage.  Like, ran home in the middle of the day on a Wednesday and didn't come back into the office until Monday. I got back to the office and I just couldn't find two fucks to give when he explained how he only took a day off work when his dad died, so why should a miscarriage warrant more.

People take fewer days off with unlimited PTO not because they don't want to. At that same company, my direct reports all got at least a 6 weeks off and I forced people to take vacations when I didn't think they were taking enough of them. I disabled a kid's accounts when I caught him responding to emails on his time off. It's not social pressure, but a real pressure from management.

• Like 1