~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It honestly bums me out that I could walk into a pharmacy in any town in America and immediately get a damn near miracle shot  because we’ve got excess supply due to decreasing demand, and there are people in other countries dying with no chance of even getting a shot.

And people refusing to get the free shot when they are privileged enough to have access.

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

would be a great time to do literally anything it takes to get more vaccines from pfizer and moderna into the arms of people all over the world

We could also help the company with the strongest vaccine overcome their production problems so they can apply for EUA!

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Lack of vaccination is most strongly correlated to low education levels.  Talking about shooting those people isn't particularly helpful (particularly given the racial connotations that this may be linked to).

Also because the south (where most of this is a problem) followed/still follow the advice of Fox News and their “soon to be president again in August” Trump. I was thinking more along the lines of anti-maskers that would rather shoot someone dead over a mask then simply getting vaccinated themselves to avoid this situation again. I don’t think it should be this way, but the news sadly shows that some people do seem to see it that way.

I should of made my last post a little clearer on that point

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

And people refusing to get the free shot when they are privileged enough to have access.

Possible hot take: If someone was only now getting a vaccine and said they had covid and were quarantining (using masks and hand sanitizer) since contracting it and waiting for the side effects to go away before getting it, and their second reason was waiting to see if any later batches might be more effective at curing some long term symptoms, how ethical or not would you say their actions were?

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's also hundreds of thousands of people who got covid in March and April who are only just now eligible, if eligible yet, to get the vaccine (unless the 90 day requirement had been changed) because they weren't able to get the shot when first available

That advice has been gone for months now, but as with lots of things, CDC has not done a good job messaging on changes like that :/ 

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Basically, Delta is so contagious that it's still finding the people that are unvaccinated, and spreading among them (and then some who are already vaccinated). The good news is that the vaccinated are still heavily protected from hospitalization.

Good thing to see as the Delta variant has mutated in India with the African variant (Beta) They’re calling it the Delta Plus variant and again, seems to be more transmissible.

My girlfriend is once again battling her parents about getting vaccinated, and it is heartbreaking/insufferable to watch. They are both high risk (mom has asthma, dad is overweight) and even though the entire immediate family has been vaccinated, they outright refuse. Her mom cites garbage news and anecdotes, and even when my girlfriend says, ‘I understand your concern; why don’t you talk to your doctor?’, she outright refuses (which tells you everything you need to know about confirmation bias and truth avoidance). 

• Sad 4

oh my god this is terrible wait a second

He said prior to the second dose he experienced heart palpitations before but nothing like this

“It would feel like I would lose breathe. I would have to take gasps for breath sometimes. It was a scary situation for me, I’m 42. It’s kind of weird to have that kind of experience,” said Eng.

He said he stopped drinking his morning cup of coffee.

“If I cut out all caffeine it didn’t happen as much,” said Eng.

So he has a history of this condition and actively takes a stimulant (where the condition lessened after cutting out the stimulant). Not to mention heart swelling due to an infection appears to be worse than the vaccine  But hey bury those details and blame the vaccine instead for clicks.

54 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I both want it and dread it at the same time. Work has been a fucking nightmare and basically everyone I know has either quit or is at breaking point. People have been behaving like animals. Or toddlers. Or animal toddlers. I had a panic attack at work last week. Another shift I left in tears for no particular reason. I haven't been able to sleep. I don't know if lifted restrictions will make things better or worse, so it's making me anxious, which is stressing me out more, so... we'll see question mark??

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I imagine most of the spread is in the unvaccinated and those with a single dose? I know it can still spread in those with two doses (just at a reduced rate), but is the UK releasing any figures on that?

That is consistent with some of the discussion I have seen in the British media -- although I haven't seen any hard data.  There is reportedly pretty significant spread of the Delta variant via school-aged children.

Israel is now reporting that the Delta variant is in many of their positive cases -- and their numbers are starting to spike as well.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That is consistent with some of the discussion I have seen in the British media -- although I haven't seen any hard data.  There is reportedly pretty significant spread of the Delta variant via school-aged children.

Israel is now reporting that the Delta variant is in many of their positive cases -- and their numbers are starting to spike as well.

I would expect that school-aged children as well as younger adults (who have refused the vaccine in larger numbers than other age groups, generally) are the groups it is spreading in. Unfortunately, the more it spreads in them (even with a low mortality rate), the more opportunity it has to hit the 10-20% of older adults who have refused the vaccine. And those groups don't just have a 1% chance of dying, they have a 10-30% chance of dying, depending on age and comorbidities. 

I really hope that children in Canada are eligible for their shots before schools starts, though it doesn't sound like Pfizer will likely be approved for 2-11 until late August or early September.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I both want it and dread it at the same time. Work has been a fucking nightmare and basically everyone I know has either quit or is at breaking point. People have been behaving like animals. Or toddlers. Or animal toddlers. I had a panic attack at work last week. Another shift I left in tears for no particular reason. I haven't been able to sleep. I don't know if lifted restrictions will make things better or worse, so it's making me anxious, which is stressing me out more, so... we'll see question mark??

Damn my dude. As someone with panic disorder, I know how awful panic attacks can be. I'm sorry that happened. Hopefully you're feeling better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Israel ordered masks back on too.

Coronavirus: Delta COVID-19 variant can fuse cells together, aiding escape from immune system - study

Compared to the spike protein on earlier versions of the coronavirus, the spike on the worrisome Delta variant is better able to break into lung cells and fuse them together, researchers have discovered. 

"Spread by cell-to-cell fusion allows the virus to spread faster in infected people and partially hide from the immune system," said Markus Hoffman of Georg-August-University Goettingen in Germany, co-author of a report posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review.

"For example, if a cell that is infected by the Delta variant is forced (by the spike protein) to fuse with a neighboring cell that is not yet infected, this allows the virus to enter the new cell much faster" than if the virus particles first needed to be released from a previously infected cell, he explained. 

By spreading via cell-to-cell fusion, the virus reduces its risk of encountering immune system cells that might attack and inactivate it, Dr Hoffman added. 

These "skills" might make the Delta variant - first identified in India and now circulating widely in many countries - more transmissible, and the resulting illness more severe, the researchers said. 

The researchers also found that although the Delta variant can evade antibodies, it is not completely resistant. 

"It might be possible that the Delta variant can infect people who are vaccinated (especially if only one of two vaccine shots have been administered so far), but vaccination is highly effective in preventing severe disease," Dr Hoffman said.