~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

22 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Man I have to return to the office next week. Haven't been there since...October? Not looking forward to not wearing pajamas all day, or having to take lunches to work.

I hear you.  I went into the office for the first time today (new job, so first time in the office)...  Of course, I had to travel to a different Province to make that happen...

36 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh wow, where did you move?

I am still living in Toronto.  My job is Montreal -- but I will be working remotely 75% of the time, travelling in for 5-6 days a month.  The CFO lives in Vancouver, so he is not putting any pressure on me to move at this point...

• Thanks 1

Covid: NHS plans booster jab for those 50 and over before winter

The NHS has been given the green light to start planning a Covid vaccine booster programme in the UK ahead of this winter.

A bigger flu season than normal is expected, meaning extra protection against Covid is likely to be needed.

More than 30 million of the most vulnerable should receive a third dose, vaccine experts are advising.

They will include all adults aged 50 and over, and anyone younger who qualifies for a flu jab.

Health service bosses had previously said they needed lots of warning of an autumn Covid-19 booster rollout in order to plan the logistics alongside vaccinating millions of people against flu.

Interim advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) is that boosters will help maintain protection against Covid-19 and new variants for those most at risk, before winter comes.

UK is now planning on providing a booster dose this winter -- in a similar way to how they recommend flu boosters.

Boosters make a lot of sense for the olds. Data is very suggestive that immune response to the vaccines on average drops off pretty sharply in the 70+ age range especially. Younger people, especially those without the common associated issues are unlikely to need boosters until fall 2022.

Tried to reschedule my second dose, but it wouldn't let me; nothing came up. Your second dose has to be at least 28 days after your first, so I thought that they wouldn't allow me to book on a day before that 28 day timeframe but I guess it's they won't allow me to rebook period until it's been 28 days. Luckily it'll have been 28 days tomorrow, so I'll try again tomorrow or Friday. 

rawImage.jpg
WWW.SFGATE.COM

The cafe is closing for good on July 4.

Castleman was also required to keep from making “disparaging or harmful communications or actions or consequences of any kind” that could impact other businesses, the landlord and the local community, the contract reviewed by SFGATE said. In addition, he was reportedly asked to remove all "controversial" signage from the cafe windows.

"I rejected the extension offer because of the extraordinary terms, so I am being forced to move everything out of this location on July 4th (Independence Day)," Castleman wrote to SFGATE about the closure. "I view these actions by my landlord as a clear attempt to silence my views and eliminate me and my customers from the community."

"The landlord has claimed that this is 'just business' and denied any political motivation for their actions," Castleman continued. "However, they have rejected my numerous offers to negotiate."

An interesting series on what the delta lead wave could produce in terms of infections in the fall/winter if we don’t accelerate vaccination

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

An interesting series on what the delta lead wave could produce in terms of infections in the fall/winter if we don’t accelerate vaccination

The one flaw in this (that I can see) is that it assumes the R0 stays at ~1.1 - 1.2. That R0 was only that low (so far) because of masking, restrictions, etc. The actual estimated R0 in a normal population (that I remember seeing) was something like 2-6.

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The one flaw in this (that I can see) is that it assumes the R0 stays at ~1.1 - 1.2. That R0 was only that low (so far) because of masking, restrictions, etc. The actual estimated R0 in a normal population (that I remember seeing) was something like 2-6.

He also makes some assumptions on the benefits/duration of immunity from natural infection that may be very optimistic   

I'm at a train station right now, and they have put no sitting signs in every second section.  Signs are everywhere about staying 2m apart.  Woman decides to sit down shoulder to shoulder with me - and when I object she points at the blocked off seat beside me and says "they won't let me sit there".  At this point in the pandemic, who is still that clueless?

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm at a train station right now, and they have put no sitting signs in every second section.  Signs are everywhere about staying 2m apart.  Woman decides to sit down shoulder to shoulder with me - and when I object she points at the blocked off seat beside me and says "they won't let me sit there".  At this point in the pandemic, who is still that clueless?

20-30% of the population.

28 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

20-30% of the population.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm very confused by the fact that I'm still seeing dicknosers. What the fuck are they even doing, do they just sincerely think that's an effective way of wearing a mask? 

The mask mandate in the US is de facto over and yet you still have these morons going through the charade of walking around with a mask on, but their nose is exposed, it's just a chin strap, it's not technically a chin strap but it's still so low it may as well just not be on (you can see their mouth), etc. It's definitely 20-30% of the population where it's just dumb fucking luck they survived the pandemic at all.

And just...I'm still wearing my mask indoors, even at work where it's supposed to be that you're only unmasked if you've submitted proof of vaccination (I'm not totally convinced to what extent this actually being enforced), and I'm stilling walking around with a mask looped around my wrist partially in case I need to go inside somewhere and partially to get from my front door to the front door of the building even if I'm just otherwise planning on purely walking outside and then going back home. And I get leaving your mask on if you're just going a couple of blocks between stores, or get it on in anticipating of going inside even if you're still a couple of blocks away, I do that too. But I see it with people outside who are clearly not going inside anytime soon, and people inside who apparently think that's sufficient protection while inside, and just...bruh.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, Jason said:

But what makes the negative result a 50/50? Is it that not everyone develops antibodies or do they think it might be something else?

On 5/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, SaysWho? said:

Penis size.

That's French for I dunno. :( 

This is the page my browser keeps pointing me back to for this thread for some reason and just :lol:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I saw a woman doing the bandana thing in a supermarket over the weekend and I was like what’s the thought process here mam?

The bandana thing I at least get as the low information people who never got the message that bandanas aren't doing shit. A lot of people seem to have checked out at the point of "just wear SOMETHING over your breathing holes while inside"--same with the faceshield-only douches who if you want to be charitable aren't engaging in malicious compliance and just never read past what the rules literally state is required.

The dicknosers/etc though...just wtf. Especially now. If you don't want to wear one just don't wear one nobody's gonna fucking challenge you about it now.

So minor update on my 2nd dose, today i'm mostly back to normal but yesterday I kind of felt like I had a mild cold/flu. Not horribly sick but felt like I was running at 50% and would flair up with small fever every once in a while. I do have a sore arm yesterday and today but feels less bad than it did the first time. I feel like I got off a bit more mild than most of my coworkers when they had their second. 

• Like 1

WHO asks Western countries to recognize China’s COVID-19 vaccines

The World Health Organization said Thursday that any COVID-19 vaccines it has authorized for emergency use should be recognized by countries as they open up their borders to inoculated travelers.

The move could challenge Western countries to broaden their acceptance of two apparently less effective Chinese vaccines, which the U.N. health agency has licensed but most European and North American countries have not.

In addition to vaccines by Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna Inc., AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson, the WHO has also given the green light to the two Chinese jabs, made by Sinovac and Sinopharm.

In its aim to restore travel across Europe, the European Union said in May that it would only recognize people as vaccinated if they had received shots licensed by the European Medicines Agency — although it’s up to individual countries if they wish to let in travelers who have received other vaccines, including Russia’s Sputnik V.

Earlier this year, the head of China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged the effectiveness of its home-grown shots was low. Numerous countries that have used millions of doses of the two Chinese shots, including the Seychelles and Bahrain, have seen COVID-19 surges even with relatively high levels of immunization.

Ummm.... No.

• Haha 1

pld210019t1_1625060716.92982.png?Expires
JAMANETWORK.COM

This randomized clinical trial measured inhaled and exhaled carbon dioxide in children with and without face masks.

Not too surprising. While many people are just generally whining about wearing masks, there is compelling data showing the carbon dioxide build up under the mask does have negative effects. I know one person in particular that is both super in favor of wearing masks and also avoids as many situations where she would need to wear one because in a relatively short amount of time she gets dizzy and develops a headache.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:
JAMANETWORK.COM

This randomized clinical trial measured inhaled and exhaled carbon dioxide in children with and without face masks.

Not too surprising. While many people are just generally whining about wearing masks, there is compelling data showing the carbon dioxide build up under the mask does have negative effects. I know one person in particular that is both super in favor of wearing masks and also avoids as many situations where she would need to wear one because in a relatively short amount of time she gets dizzy and develops a headache.

I think that what we'll find in the future (with the dozens of studies already underway) is that the pandemic was a lose-lose situation for kids (even thought I doubt the outcome of this study). For each "correct" decision (to reduce harm in one way) there was likely another harm. Examples of what I mean:

• Going to remote school was smart in that it reduced spread between children, which reduced spread to older people in their families. However, remote school appears to have had much worse learning outcomes for those kids
  • Wearing masks while in-school appears to have reduced spread (one study showed a 38% reduction in spread). However, this study claims negative effects.
  • Giving kids the vaccine (12-17) will protect them and their families from spread. However, there appear to be some elevated risks of heart issues in kids after receiving them.

Overall I believe the correct decision was made in these three cases in most places (going remote for at least some time, mandating masks, and giving vaccinations). But there are certainly downsides to each decision (though I think the vaccination example especially leans much more towards the positive, as well as masking).

We live pretty privileged lives, here, though, and I don't think there was any net-neutral way we could have come out of this, for kids. It was a pandemic, after all.

In any case, this particular study is pretty small and didn't really test anything beyond the concentration levels and self-declared complaints from kids (and admits as such), so it's certainly not conclusive.

EDIT - And it appears the author is heavily biased (and a nut) so likely went searching for an answer.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
JAMANETWORK.COM

The author of that study is an anti-mask anti-vax idiot:

Prof_Dr_Harald_Walach.jpeg?w=640
RETRACTIONWATCH.COM

Harald Walach A study published last week that quickly became another flashpoint for those arguing that COVID-19 vaccines are unsafe has earned an expression of concern. The original...

• Thanks 1