~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

They should try and find a way for these bigger rock bands to support local bands on tours. I remember The Beaches a local Toronto all girl rock group was a late addition to warm up act for my ‘18 Foo Fighters concert. When I saw Mumford and Sons a few years back, they brought along Bear’s Den another similar sounding indie band on their Babel tour. You know they were still starting off because after their set was done, you could buy their cds and get them signed. I REALLY regret not doing it because I’ve become a huge fan of their music. Hopefully more musicians will be willing to allow this to happen if they keep eating everything else up.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I still can't seem to reschedule my second dose appointment. Huh? I must be doing something wrong.

When I rescheduled on Monday. I forgot where my receipt went with my code to rebook my next appointment. I was able to enter on the Ontario Covid site my health card number to have them confirm my first shot, and then gave me my local areas clinics to pick my 2nd appointment with. The place I got my Pfizer shot had nothing showing until August, but an even closer clinic allowed me to book Moderna for this coming Wednesday. My mom and sister got their 2nd shot yesterday from where I going next week. Sister is tired, sore, headaches and a little dizzy, but so is my mom but hers seems a lot more intense. This might be because she had Astra Zeneca for her first, as she didn’t have nearly the same reaction after that shot. 

13 minutes ago, silentbob said:

When I rescheduled on Monday. I forgot where my receipt went with my code to rebook my next appointment. I was able to enter on the Ontario Covid site my health card number to have them confirm my first shot, and then gave me my local areas clinics to pick my 2nd appointment with. The place I got my Pfizer shot had nothing showing until August, but an even closer clinic allowed me to book Moderna for this coming Wednesday. My mom and sister got their 2nd shot yesterday from where I going next week. Sister is tired, sore, headaches and a little dizzy, but so is my mom but hers seems a lot more intense. This might be because she had Astra Zeneca for her first, as she didn’t have nearly the same reaction after that shot. 

I went to the Halton vaccine website, clicked the button that says to click for rescheduling or cancelling an appointment, put in the 7 letter code (both since each appointment had separate ones) and my DOB, but then nothing comes up to reschedule. It just lists each of my original dates, with no button to change. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I went to the Halton vaccine website, clicked the button that says to click for rescheduling or cancelling an appointment, put in the 7 letter code (both since each appointment had separate ones) and my DOB, but then nothing comes up to reschedule. It just lists each of my original dates, with no button to change. 

I actually did go through the Halton site as well. Maybe try again with the rescheduling button and say you forgot your code, and try rescheduling with just your health card number instead. It was pretty instant for rescheduling for my mom using that method. Best of luck

image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that Canada is on track to have everyone who is eligible fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the end of the summer, noting that until around 80 per cent of people are completely immunized, the country will still be at risk for new surges.

The federal government is expecting to have a cumulative total of 68 million vaccine doses delivered by the end of July.

“That’s mathematically enough for everyone in Canada to get two doses, but we know for example that the spacing between the doses means that people who get their first dose now or a few days ago, won't be eligible until later in the summer for their second dose and we need to continue to follow the science,” Trudeau said.

So far, more than 77 per cent of eligible Canadians have received their first dose, and more than 36 per cent of the eligible population has been fully vaccinated, according to the latest data in CTV News’ vaccine tracker.

I think you can thank the scary detail that keep emerging about the Delta variant for pushing the hesitancy/never get it numbers a little lower. I just hope they get even lower than that, and would like to see some more companies take it upon themselves to make   sure their employees get vaccinated too. I’m completely fine if they let them go from their job if they refuse, much like we’ve seen stateside with some hospitals staff (which fucking boggles my mind why they wouldn’t get the shot)

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

In Peel, we're sitting at 66.6% immunized.  1st doses are just South of ~2,000/day (and falling) -- or .15% per day.  Hitting 90% vaccinated (to get herd immunity) looks like a pipe dream.

Keep in mind that between 10-15% of the pop is <12, depending where you live. So if you get to 70% total vaxxed without kids, then you can expect another 5-10% on top of that. Unfortunately I don't think we'll reach 90% as a nation (including kids), but I think 80% is attainable, and possibly 85%. The number will be brought up by some places, and brought down by others.

9 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Keep in mind that between 10-15% of the pop is <12, depending where you live. So if you get to 70% total vaxxed without kids, then you can expect another 5-10% on top of that. Unfortunately I don't think we'll reach 90% as a nation (including kids), but I think 80% is attainable, and possibly 85%. The number will be brought up by some places, and brought down by others.

The virus doesn't care who is eligible for vaccination.

0-12 is probably closer to 13-14% - last census was 5.4% 0-4, 5.7% 5-9, 5.5% 10-14.  Which also means that after the 5-12 year Pfizer approval is complete -- we will still have ~5% of the population not eligible for the vaccine.

If I use the data in Toronto or Peel -- about 5 million of our population -- we're seeing 1st dose numbers fall dramatically. People in the age range of 30-60 are still stuck in the low 70% range.

Some numbers I saw in the US showed that 8% of people who got a first dose, never showed up for a second.  That seems directionally consistent with what is happening here -- 15% of people 80+ haven't yet received a second dose, 20% of people for those in their 70's etc.  And the number of people in those age groups coming in for a 2nd dose is now negligible.

We will probably be able to get close to 75% with one dose, but if current trends continue, we may struggle to get much above 65% fully vaccinated.

On 7/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I’m on a plane flying to LA now and fortunately everyone is masked. Not seeing any exposed noses.

the two flights i was on recently, the flight attendants were really good about telling people to wear their masks properly. 

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

I actually did go through the Halton site as well. Maybe try again with the rescheduling button and say you forgot your code, and try rescheduling with just your health card number instead. It was pretty instant for rescheduling for my mom using that method. Best of luck

Tried that too just now and still nothing pops up to reschedule. They say an invitation to reschedule will be e-mailed to you with the e-mail address given, but I wonder if maybe the button to reschedule isn't appearing because when I first booked my appointment I didn't provide my e-mail, but I did give it to them when I went to the hospital to get my first dose, and they asked if I wanted to give my e-mail in case I wanted them to e-mail me of a possible earlier date for my second dose. 

27 minutes ago, Jason said:
coroanvirus-testing-01-rtr-jc-210630_162
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Over two dozen states have now are opting to no longer offer daily COVID-19 updates.

I am fine with daily updates stopping, as long as they still provide weekly, etc. In my province's case, they are likely to stop press releases soon, but the province's health data dashboard links directly to their databases, so I think the daily info will be there forever.

One of the important things to keep in mind is that even with a much more transmissible strain like Delta, locations with high vaccination rates in the 60+ age group simply will not see the kind of large scale death of pre-vaccine waves. Obviously still a concern potential negative outcomes in the short and long term separate from death, but we are in a much better place overall despite frustrating shortfalls in vaccination adoption.

41 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am fine with daily updates stopping, as long as they still provide weekly, etc. In my province's case, they are likely to stop press releases soon, but the province's health data dashboard links directly to their databases, so I think the daily info will be there forever.

One of the states that has moved to shift to a more infrequent reporting schedule is Florida. Although it is still reporting the highest total number of coronavirus cases in the country, earlier this month it became the first large state to end its daily coronavirus report, and move to a weekly model.

The erratic data reporting comes as a growing list of states see upticks in their COVID-19 case metrics. In the last seven days, 19 states have reported an increase of 10% of more in their daily case average. Several states including Alabama and Nevada have seen their case metrics double over the last two weeks, although numbers still remain significantly lower than at their peak earlier this winter.

Some health experts are concerned that the lack of daily data, which plays a critical role in determining response to the virus, could mask potentially dangerous new outbreaks, particularly in areas of low vaccination rates.

Even so, many states continue to close testing sites, including Iowa, which will cease operations of its statewide testing program later this month. Less than 50% of Iowa's total population is fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One of the important things to keep in mind is that even with a much more transmissible strain like Delta, locations with high vaccination rates in the 60+ age group simply will not see the kind of large scale death of pre-vaccine waves. Obviously still a concern potential negative outcomes in the short and long term separate from death, but we are in a much better place overall despite frustrating shortfalls in vaccination adoption.

What are Israel's vaccination rates in the 60+ age group?  I've never seen their data broken down by age.

I suspect that until (if?) we see a break-through variant, we won't see the kind of death rates that we saw in the first wave.

Israel had (and still has) a very low infection rate -- and deaths are very much a lagging indicator -- two weeks ago they had almost no delta and were at 3 cases per million people.  Now they are starting to see a delta wave (and are at ~30 cases per million people) that is still very early on (the UK is now at 330 cases per million people).  The rubber will hit the road in 6-8 weeks when (or if?) their wave starts to crest.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

What are Israel's vaccination rates in the 60+ age group?  I've never seen their data broken down by age.

I suspect that until (if?) we see a break-through variant, we won't see the kind of death rates that we saw in the first wave.

Israel had (and still has) a very low infection rate -- and deaths are very much a lagging indicator -- two weeks ago they had almost no delta and were at 3 cases per million people.  Now they are starting to see a delta wave (and are at ~30 cases per million people) that is still very early on (the UK is now at 330 cases per million people).  The rubber will hit the road in 6-8 weeks when (or if?) their wave starts to crest.

Hospitalizations aren’t a lagging indicator, and they remain very low when comparing cases/hospitalization of the worst outbreak in the country. The same is true in the UK. And we can do some pretty basic math and approximate the death rate based on the nominal hospital numbers. 

Deaths were not on that much of lag in the oldest ages though. Especially those in the 80+, people were infected and dying within days.  

One of the Israeli health officials previously stated that those in the 70+ range were well above 80% vaccinated and that was in early June. Haven’t seen a better breakdown than that, unfortunately.

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Hospitalizations aren’t a lagging indicator, and they remain very low when comparing cases/hospitalization of the worst outbreak in the country. The same is true in the UK. And we can do some pretty basic math and approximate the death rate based on the nominal hospital numbers. 

Deaths were not on that much of lag in the oldest ages though. Especially those in the 80+, people were infected and dying within days.  

One of the Israeli health officials previously stated that those in the 70+ range were well above 80% vaccinated and that was in early June. Haven’t seen a better breakdown than that, unfortunately.

Hospitalizations are a lagging indicator as well.  The UK's hospitalizations have doubled in the last month, Israel's are up 30% in the last week.

Israel hasn't had very many vaccinations since early June -- so it probably hasn't changed.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Hospitalizations are a lagging indicator as well.  The UK's hospitalizations have doubled in the last month, Israel's are up 30% in the last week.

Israel hasn't had very many vaccinations since early June -- so it probably hasn't changed.

Hospitalizations happen very quickly in relation to increases in cases. 

Doubling is irrelevant! Nominal numbers are what matters. When the baseline has dropped so low even small nominal changes result in large percentage increases. But tell me what is worse, going from 5,000 to 10,000 cases a day, or going from 150,000 to 200,000 cases a day?

I find it interesting that Covid rates are continuing to rise in the UK - with a fair portion of the country still waiting for their second vaccination and our Health Secretary and PM are happy to remove any restrictions on the 19th of July, including the need to wear masks.

I’m looking forward to my second Pfizer vaccine in mid-August...