~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Remember the Simpsons episode with the comet where at the end Moe says, "Now let's burn down the observatory so this never happens again"? We're pretty close to that in real life at this point.

those people are conservatives wasting taxpayer money

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

He probably saw someone on OANN or Twitter say that the only reason there are so many positive tests is because Trump is doing such a great job getting people tested. There is no reason to believe he knows any better.

He knows better... he's banking on his supporters not knowing though.

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He knows better... he's banking on his supporters not knowing though.

Everything Trump is saying publicly he's also reported to have told people in private. At some point we have to just take his word at it and accept that he simply doesn't know any better.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Everything Trump is saying publicly he's also reported to have told people in private. At some point we have to just take his word at it and accept that he simply doesn't know any better.

Honestly it doesn't matter whether he knows better or not... both are equally bad for different reasons.

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Other sports stars have decided to do this before David Price did it. David Price IS the follower.

Women's soccer is the only American team sport currently running. Most wouldn't know since the league signed a deal with CBS, who put all but 2 games on their streaming service. A handful of USWNT players opted out.

Sidenote: Everyone playing minus a select few are taking knees during the anthem.

• Thanks 1

Growing evidence that COVID-19 is airborne and spread through aerosolized particles

tl;dr: There is good evidence that it's an airborne virus, not just particles, but the WHO refused to reclassify it because of a small number of conservative "pro-handwashing" scientists on its infection committee. Reclassifying it would have major implications for recommended safety precautions indoors, where masks would need to be recommended even when distancing is happening, especially in poorly-ventillated offices or other areas.

This is pretty striking, because I found Gottlieb's Twitter pretty early on, and I'd say up until this point he's generally been one of the more optimistic voices out there. At one point, he was saying that he thought we were going to be able to have a relatively normal summer leading up to a resurgence in the fall.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

This is pretty striking, because I found Gottlieb's Twitter pretty early on, and I'd say up until this point he's generally been one of the more optimistic voices out there. At one point, he was saying that he thought we were going to be able to have a relatively normal summer leading up to a resurgence in the fall.

Gottlieb was by far Trump's best selection so of course he's no longer in the administration.

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

Sometimes I feel like the best way to be accurate in your predictions in the age of Trump, and even more so this past year, is to simply think of the worst thing you can....and then half jokingly throw it out there as something that is going to happen.

In this case, reading those Tweets, I spun a scenario where the infection rates spiral out of control over the next few months spurred on by Trump's "live with it" message and quarentine fatigue. We fuck up so badly that we basically take the long way 'round to get to what Sweden and the U.K.(initially) aimed for, which is herd immunity by pure attrition.

Trump declares victory, having beat the virus without even needing a vaccine! In the horse race, the mainstream media praises his ability to "ride out the storm" and say he has pulled off another unlikely brilliant political strategy only he could think up just like 2016. Trump is re-elected as the virus numbers drop and that story that the death total had topped 300,000 "was like 3 weeks ago man, get over it.".

• Sad 1