~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I just found out today my sister had a run in with one of these people.

No physical altercation, but very insulting and aggressive.

While the rest of us see this as a health matter, these people see face masks as though you were wearing a Hillary cap or something. As a fiercely partisan statement. And it is essentially 100% Trump's fault.

Even most other Republicans seem to know how bad of an idea this little skirmish in the culture war is. If, for no other reason, because it hurts them electorally. But Trump just can't help but pick the worst, stupidiest, most petty fight imaginable.

Bunch of NBA teams shutting down practice facilities after players test positive for COVID

The Sacramento Kings have reportedly closed their practice facility after a member of their traveling party tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday, according to Sam Amick of The Athletic.

Per that report, the practice facility "is not expected to reopen before the team departs for Orlando on Wednesday." That news comes on the heels of the Milwaukee Bucks also choosing to shut down their practice facility earlier Sunday, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Denver Nuggets, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Brooklyn Nets and Phoenix Suns also shut down their practice facilities earlier this week, according to Marc Stein of the New York Times.

Latino people have also been infected at a jarringly disparate rate compared with white people. One of the most alarming hot spots is also one of the wealthiest: Fairfax County, just outside of Washington, D.C.

Three times as many white people live there as Latinos. Yet through the end of May, four times as many Latino residents had tested positive for the virus, according to the C.D.C. data.

With the median household income in Fairfax twice the national average of about $60,000, housing is expensive, leaving those with modest incomes piling into apartments, where social distancing is an impossibility. In 2017, it took an annual income of almost $64,000 to afford a typical one-bedroom apartment, according to county data. And many have had to keep commuting to jobs.

Diana, who is 26 and did not want her last name used out of fear for her husband’s job, said her husband got sick at a construction site in April. She and her brother, who also works construction, soon fell ill, too. With three children between them, the six family members live in a two-bedroom apartment.

Literally all racialized problems in this country, from housing costs, to who has an "essential" job, to medical costs are laid bare by this virus, and black and brown communities, as depressingly usual for this country, feel the disproportionate negative effects

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Wasn’t Disney World also mandating masks worn by guests? 

Yeah, but it still doesn’t seem like a good idea. Even if theoretically the mask mandate keeps it spreading within the park (which I’m doubtful of), there will still be tourists coming in from all over the country to Orlando. It could easily be to the surrounding areas.

1 minute ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Yeah, but it still doesn’t seem like a good idea. Even if theoretically the mask mandate keeps it spreading within the park (which I’m doubtful of), there will still be tourists coming in from all over the country to Orlando. It could easily be to the surrounding areas.

Yeah, plus all the Karen’s that may try to get in with a mask, just to immediately take it off and then refuse to put it back on. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah, plus all the Karen’s that may try to get in with a mask, just to immediately take it off and then refuse to put it back on. 

Exactly. Families that are willing to travel to Disney World during a pandemic are probably less likely to take the precautions seriously. I imagine a lot of guests will remove them once they are on the rides. Those darks rides are indoors in smaller space. With the new information about the virus being airborne, it just seems like so much could potentially go wrong.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A crime so big it's probably not technically criminal because the people writing the laws lacked the creativity to consider how evil a president could be.

For fuck sake, might as well just come right out and use the Stalin line about statistics. It's no more evil, but is more elegant.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

For real, you should be able to fight those people, in the name of self defense. 

I'm not usually a physical violence kind of guy, but we are at the point that its warranted. 

This is a very interesting article in general but one thing I wanted to point out that may be helping, in part, that the death rate isn't as high as you would expect. (Not that death is the only major issue here by any means)

One of the first American investigations to be made public, on April 10, was out of New Orleans. The patient was a 44-year-old man who had been treated at LSU Health. Richard Vander Heide remembers cutting the lung and discovering what were probably hundreds or thousands of microclots.

“I will never forget the day,” recalled Vander Heide, who has been performing autopsies since 1994. “I said to the resident, ‘This is very unusual.’ I had never seen something like this.”

But as he moved onto the next patient and the next, Vander Heide saw the same pattern. He was so alarmed, he said, that he shared the paper online before submitting it to a journal so the information could be used immediately by doctors. The findings caused a stir at many hospitals and influenced some doctors to start giving blood thinners to all covid-19 patients. It is now common practice. The final, peer-reviewed version involving 10 patients was subsequently published in the Lancet in May

Remember we were looking at~2k deaths/day in April 10th-ish

25 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

PA announced 450 new cases today

The reason I bring that up is because that is the lowest number of daily cases after a two-week-long spike, and this is shortly after wearing masks in public was mandated.

Start of a positive trend, maybe?

Please?

Almost 100% that its cause of the long holiday weekend reporting lag, happens every weekend with catch up happening tuesday.