~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Two weeks after WI Supreme Court overturned the governor's stay-at-home orders, the state sees record number of new cases and deaths

Wisconsin saw a record number of new coronavirus cases and deaths reported in a single day on Wednesday, two weeks after the state’s Supreme Court struck down its statewide stay-at-home order.

The state reported 599 new known COVID-19 cases on Wednesday with 22 known deaths, according to Wisconsin’s Department of Health Services, the highest recorded daily rise since the pandemic began there. As of Wednesday, the state had more than 16,460 known cases and 539 known deaths, according to the department.

The previous record in new coronavirus cases was 528 the week prior.

Obviously the case numbers can go up if there is increased testing, but death numbers are the real issue.

I got this image as an SMS message yesterday from a family member:

2020-05-28.jpg

I find this kind of hilarious in that it's both far too paranoid, and not nearly paranoid enough. 

On the one hand, you're singling out two apps (one for Utah, the other for Alberta, for a person located in CA) that absolutely don't do the things you're worried about. Contact tracing apps using Google and Apple's joint API do not use GPS tracking data, your contact list, nor your social media friends lists. It's all done using Bluetooth and it only transmits anonymized info after asking you for permission.  Even if they did do all these things, these are apps being run by the government, which is the other side of the coin.

If you think that the US government needs to get you to install a contact tracing app in order to get your friends list off of Facebook or even your GPS location from your phone, you're not being nearly paranoid enough. If you're afraid of big companies knowing your personal info, well, I'd hate to tell you what Facebook, Google, Amazon, and the rest are doing with the apps you already have installed.

I don't plan on responding, because I just don't think there's anything to be gained. I want to help this family member out of whatever digital rabbit hole they're clearly falling down, but I don't think I'm in much of a position to do much.

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I got this image as an SMS message yesterday from a family member:

2020-05-28.jpg

I find this kind of hilarious in that it's both far too paranoid, and not nearly paranoid enough. 

On the one hand, you're singling out two apps (one for Utah, the other for Alberta, for a person located in CA) that absolutely don't do the things you're worried about. Contact tracing apps using Google and Apple's joint API do not use GPS tracking data, your contact list, nor your social media friends lists. It's all done using Bluetooth and it only transmits anonymized info after asking you for permission.  Even if they did do all these things, these are apps being run by the government, which is the other side of the coin.

If you think that the US government needs to get you to install a contact tracing app in order to get your friends list off of Facebook or even your GPS location from your phone, you're not being nearly paranoid enough. If you're afraid of big companies knowing your personal info, well, I'd hate to tell you what Facebook, Google, Amazon, and the rest are doing with the apps you already have installed.

I don't plan on responding, because I just don't think there's anything to be gained. I want to help this family member out of whatever digital rabbit hole they're clearly falling down, but I don't think I'm in much of a position to do much.

I just ignore them all, once they jump down that shit then it's hard to get them out.  I've told people something like "you're carrying around a GPS, microphone, and camera that has all of your communications and probably access to your finances on it and a high speed data connection, if they want to track you they won't do a press release and you won't know it". seems to sort of work.

Only for one city (albeit the one with 17% of Canada's population), but it looks like private care homes did a much worse job of protecting their residents compared to city-run facilities. The theory is that public employees are paid much better, so are providing a better level of care.

8 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Based on what I just saw driving, every restaurant near me that's doing outdoor patio seating is full to capacity. I guess we'll get a pretty good indicator of how safe outdoor dining is in a week or so.

We'll likely see a jump in infections from the protests as well.

14 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Only for one city (albeit the one with 7% of Canada's population), but it looks like private care homes did a much worse job of protecting their residents compared to city-run facilities. The theory is that public employees are paid much better, so are providing a better level of care.

Fixed.

Those homes had higher funding, which also allowed them to provide better PPE, and have better practices.  Of course, CUPE will always argue it was due to what they were able to negotiate for their members.

As Europe/North America shut down to self-isolate for the pandemic, there was a very poor understanding of who would be most susceptible to infection.  And LT homes everywhere became sources of infection -- as we move forward a continued focus on protecting the vulnerable populations is critical.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Fixed.

Those homes had higher funding, which also allowed them to provide better PPE, and have better practices.  Of course, CUPE will always argue it was due to what they were able to negotiate for their members.

As Europe/North America shut down to self-isolate for the pandemic, there was a very poor understanding of who would be most susceptible to infection.  And LT homes everywhere became sources of infection -- as we move forward a continued focus on protecting the vulnerable populations is critical.

I counted metro Toronto for the pop, not just the legal city.

The focus on for-profit vs not-for-profit homes might be overstated too, said Andrew Costa, a professor in McMaster University’s school of medicine.

In a study just published as a pre-print article, without peer review, his team found that the home’s age had more to do with the size and severity of COVID-19 outbreaks than whether or not it was for-profit.

While it’s true that many large outbreaks have been in for-profit homes, he said, “That’s more the function of a few bad apples.”

Older long-term care homes tend to have more people sharing a room, he said, which makes it easier to spread a virus among patients. Newer homes tend to have more private space for residents and defined “wards” rather than having patients wander all over.

“Where we’ve seen the worst hit, like the five in the military (Ontario report), four of those are for-profit, one is not-for-profit. But they are all old-style facilities,” he said.

In Armstrong’s estimation, the biggest problems have to do with money and, especially, staffing.

“The second is that these people have to have enough time to respond to individual needs.”

Right now, she said, with so many temporary workers, many services like catering and janitorial staff being contracted out and a lack of training, staff aren’t able to get to know their patients, which affects the quality of care.

And, she said, in the case of a coronavirus outbreak, there wasn’t enough staff flexibility to run things as they should be.

Latest on COVID-19 in MN: As state surpasses 1K deaths, protests raise fears of new outbreaks

Minnesota hit a grim milestone Saturday as the state surpassed 1,000 deaths tied to COVID-19, and health officials said they expected a spike in cases after nearly a week of massive demonstrations over the killing of George Floyd in the Twin Cities.

The number of Minnesotans currently in intensive care rose to 263 — a new daily high in the pandemic — even as total daily hospitalizations dipped to 589. Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm recently noted that intensive care beds were filling up in the Twin Cities metro area.

e55374-20200331-covid-19-cases-graphic.p