~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

21 minutes ago, Jose said:

Ok, good. Wasn't sure if you had a bad Hatch chile or you didn't know what you were talking about. Now that we have firmly established that it's the latter, I can move on.

If New Mexico food is so good then why is the goddamn sauce the only part of it anyone ever talks about? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

What a horrible chart intended to make the situation look better than it is. There is so much difference between 300 and 10,000 as to make no sense to even use the "300" number to begin with. Even using "9,999 or less" would be better. This map gives the impression that all of the yellow states might have 350 cases each, even though the map allows that some could have 9,500. A linear gradient would make a lot more sense. Also, what kind of scale is that?

First step is 9,700 units

Second is 50,000 units

Third is 250,000 units

Bad infographics like this drive me crazy.

• Sad 1

Work is now requiring masks to be worn. They gave us some really shitty fabric ones a couple weeks ago and said they were optional, but I guess after yesterday they changed their minds. My prediction: masks will do little to no good in this particular case, because like I said, I work with a bunch of idiots. 

29 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Work is now requiring masks to be worn. They gave us some really shitty fabric ones a couple weeks ago and said they were optional, but I guess after yesterday they changed their minds. My prediction: masks will do little to no good in this particular case, because like I said, I work with a bunch of idiots. 

Lawsuit when you get sick 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh I understand that... my grandfather was from South Carolina so I get how much racism and religion drive people in The South. It's just at some point you would think their own self interest would trump their hatred for other people and groups. My buddy who lives in Jacksonville and I talk about this all the time because he deals with this type of racism on a daily basis. It's a culture shock from him because because he was born and raised in the North East.

Never underestimate the power religion holds over a lot of people. My aunt votes purely based on a candidates' stance on abortion and gay rights. Never mind the fact she's never held a paying job her entire life due to a disability, thus she's always relied on the government, her parents, and her church. She'll vote against her own interests because she thinks people like me want to murder babies and gay people are an abomination who deserve no rights.

Also, LBJ's word still hold true today. Just add in brown people: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Never underestimate the power religion holds over a lot of people. My aunt votes purely based on a candidates' stance on abortion and gay rights. Never mind the fact she's never held a paying job her entire life due to a disability, thus she's always relied on the government, her parents, and her church. She'll vote against her own interests because she thinks people like me want to murder babies and gay people are an abomination who deserve no rights.

Also, LBJ's word still hold true today. Just add in brown people: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Yes it's the classic plantation Hierarchy.... You had Master and his family at the top, the light-skinned house negroes who were often bi-racial and related to master or a master of another plantation. Then you had the Over-seers who were the poor local whites that lived near the plantation. They were put in charge of the field Negroes and were even more cruel to them than the masters because they had to be better than SOMEbody. The South figured this out a long time ago and the biggest fear of the powers-that-be is poor and middle class white America waking up and seeing that they have more in common with the  minorities they look down on than the 1%'s  who are manipulating them for their own ends.

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Due to the lack of demand, there is a massive oversupply of certain types of food right now (milk, potatoes). The government of Canada will buy all of the surplus food from farmers and redistribute it to organizations that require food (food banks, shelters, etc):

And in the US is all just getting dumped.

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

Honestly, if Toronto was a little bit warmer, I would move there in a second. Such an amazing city. 

Yeah it's pretty awesome. It's changed so much in the last 30 years, it's so multicultural and hip now. 52% visible minority, but it's a different type of culture than a comparable US metropolis like NYC in that Toronto is hugely Asian (Chinese, Indian, etc). And something like 50% of the city was born in a different country, which is crazy. It's also a lot bigger than people would think, considering it's in Canada. 6 or 6.5 million people now, and adding around 200k+ people a year, which is insane. 

I like where I live even though it's a hick city because my friends and family are here, but if I was moving to Canada I would 100% choose Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal (in that order).

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

How does one immigrate to Canada with no familial ties there?

1. Find a canadian to marry

2. College degree in a needed field (tech, finance, medicine, etc..)

3. Economic migration (ie you need to have a lot of $$$ which then has to be invested into canada to qualify)

Generally getting a work visa isn't too overly complicated if you find a company to sponsor you. The complication more comes from when you try to get PR status. Once you get PR, citizenship is a breeze.

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

1. Find a canadian to marry

2. College degree in a needed field (tech, finance, medicine, etc..)

3. Economic migration (ie you need to have a lot of $$$ which then has to be invested into canada to qualify)

1. Pics?

2. Registered professional engineer here. I'm sure I could get comity in Canada

3. I could buy a house...

7 minutes ago, CayceG said:

1. Pics?

2. Registered professional engineer here. I'm sure I could get comity in Canada

3. I could buy a house...

1. I'm married. Rachel seems to want some love based on the other board

2. You probably could actually use that to get a work visa and start the ball rolling
3. Ehh. You need to be recently made chinese rich to qualify (ie a few mil). 

On 5/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Fat chance of convincing people without symptoms to allow a blood test. I thought this was America!

I’d be one of those people. Going to school at Tuskegee, living in the city, and communing with some of the families has a lasting effect on your already shaky trust in the government (especially from a let us stick you, it’s good for you perspective).

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Honestly, if Toronto was a little bit warmer, I would move there in a second. Such an amazing city. 

The cost of living here is insane, and the incomes haven't kept up with it.  The concept of the middle-income existence doesn't exist here unless you purchased a house/condo more than 10 years ago.

edit:  updated my typo