Breakthrough in gene editing: New tool surpasses CRISPR, could potentially be used to cure 89% of human genetic diseases (65,000)

https://www.cnet.com/news/breakthrough-gene-editing-tool-can-find-and-replace-dna-better-than-crispr/

The ability to edit the genes of human beings by changing the code of life -- DNA -- has dramatically improved over the last decade. Current tools, like CRISPR-Cas9 and base editors, are extremely powerful but have traditionally suffered from a lack of precision, high error rate and limited scope, hampering their ability to treat human genetic disease. A breakthrough gene-editing tool, developed by a team of researchers at Harvard University and unveiled Monday, has the ability to make extremely precise DNA edits, ushering in a new era of genetic manipulation.

"In many respects this first report is the beginning rather than the end of a longstanding aspiration ... to be able to make any DNA change in any position of a living cell or organism including, potentially, human patients with genetic diseases," says David Liu, a chemist at Harvard's Broad Institute and co-author of the new study.

To demonstrate this, the team corrected the genetic mutations for two human genetic diseases, sickle cell and Tay-Sachs disease, in human cells. They showed the necessary edits could be made to the DNA to reverse the genetic mutations causing those diseases.

And it doesn't end with sickle cell and Tay-Sachs. Because prime editing provides one of the most precise ways to manipulate the code of life, the authors hypothesize it could enable treatment for approximately 89% of the 75,112 human genetic mutations that cause disease.

Big news, if it holds up.

My eye doctor started talking about how they have probably had a cure for cancer, but money has kept it from the public. I was disappointed.  A lot of really intelligent people still believe these conspiracies unfortunately.  

If such conspiracies were true, that would mean that a lot of lower paid research scientists have all decided not to blow a whistle on the ethics of holding it all back which is implausible. 

26 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

My eye doctor doctor started talking about how they have probably had a cure for cancer, but money has kept it from the public. I was disappointed.  A lot of really intelligent people still believe these conspiracies unfortunately.  

If such conspiracies were true, that would mean that a lot of lower paid research scientists have all decided not to blow a whistle on the ethics of holding it all back which is implausible. 

You should probably not go back to that doctor.

5 hours ago, TomCat said:

it wong happen cause there is no money in curing things  the money is in the treatment.  thats why Nothing has been cured in decades even doe we've had dna for many many decades 

Google Zolgensma, cures the leading genetic killer of infants. Fully approved. 

9 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Google Zolgensma, cures the leading genetic killer of infants. Fully approved. 

Also, the “grail” of treatment for MANY afflictions is vaccinations or other preventative treatments. The market for a potential breast cancer cure is everyone who gets breast cancer. The market for a preventative breast cancer vaccination is everyone with breasts. 

9 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

So this shit is going to wind up being available mostly to just the rich, right? I would love to be proven wrong on that one.

Zolgensma ($2.1 million) is free if your insurance denies you twice. The medication I receive has cost north of $1.5 million so far and has had zero out of pocket costs. 

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also, the “grail” of treatment for MANY afflictions is vaccinations or other preventative treatments. The market for a potential breast cancer cure is everyone who gets breast cancer. The market for a preventative breast cancer vaccination is everyone with breasts. 

Vaccinations? Why would I want autism?