Active shooter at a California food festival

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Who shoots up a garlic festival?

Actually... Who HOSTS a garlic festival?

Garlic is Gilroy’s thing. Growing up in the bay I don’t think I’ve ever been to Gilroy (it’s like outskirts of the Bay Area) but everybody in the bay knows garlic = Gilroy 

In California owners had to start registering their guns that are classified as "assault weapons" last year. They were also allowed to sell them out of state, surrender them to law enforcement, or modify them so they are no longer considered assault weapons, if they didn't want to register the firearms.  Now that California has a registry of who owns these guns, I wonder if they'll take any type of enforcement/confiscation action to get these guns out of the hands of civilians in the state.

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

In California owners had to start registering their guns that are classified as "assault weapons" last year. They were also allowed to sell them out of state, surrender them to law enforcement, or modify them so they are no longer considered assault weapons, if they didn't want to register the firearms.  Now that California has a registry of who owns these guns, I wonder if they'll take any type of enforcement/confiscation action to get these guns out of the hands of civilians in the state.

I can just imagine the ridiculous, arbitrary rules of what constitutes an assault weapon in California... 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Isn't this the gun-rights advocate's wet-dre... I mean fear?

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

On NPR, they said the shooter got the gun from Nevada where gun laws are more lax, and they're investigating a white power post on Instagram for potentially inspiring the shooter to do this.

A couple of potential scenarios here: 

The Nevada gun shop broke federal and state law by selling this gun to him if the guy was a California resident - Federal law says a person from out of state can buy a rifle in your state, provided it doesn't violate any of the laws from that person's home state.  This gun was a prohibited weapon in California.  The buyer was under 21.  The seller failed to ship the gun to a California dealer, where the background check and 10 day waiting period would occur.

The guy was a Nevada resident - No federal law was broken by selling the rifle to him.  However, the shooter broke several laws when he illegally transported a prohibited weapon into the state, and was not old enough to possess any weapon.