Active shooter at a California food festival

25 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

A couple of potential scenarios here: 

The Nevada gun shop broke federal and state law by selling this gun to him if the guy was a California resident - Federal law says a person from out of state can buy a rifle in your state, provided it doesn't violate any of the laws from that person's home state.  This gun was a prohibited weapon in California.  The buyer was under 21.  The seller failed to ship the gun to a California dealer, where the background check and 10 day waiting period would occur.

The guy was a Nevada resident - No federal law was broken by selling the rifle to him.  However, the shooter broke several laws when he illegally transported a prohibited weapon into the state, and was not old enough to possess any weapon. 

Or - they had a relative or friend buy the gun legally in nevada and then gave or sold it to him. 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

Or - they had a relative or friend buy the gun legally in nevada and then gave or sold it to him. 

I suppose that's possible - but the gun shop that allegedly sold the gun, confirmed on Facebook that they sold the gun to the shooter and not someone else.  That leads me to believe that either the gun shop broke multiple federal and state laws, or the shooter was a resident of Nevada.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I suppose that's possible - but the gun shop that allegedly sold the gun, confirmed on Facebook that they sold the gun to the shooter and not someone else.  That leads me to believe that either the gun shop broke multiple federal and state laws, or the shooter was a resident of Nevada.

ah i didnt know they made a statement. Its good they owned up to it. It will be interesting to learn how the gun wound up in his hands. 

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The gun shop owner says he's sorry. So he shouldn't have to suffer any repercussions.

If he broke any laws, he should absolutely be prosecuted.  If he didn't break any laws, IDK what you could do to him, besides shame him. 

32 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The gun shop owner says he's sorry. So he shouldn't have to suffer any repercussions.

The shooter is dead, the gun shop owner is sorry, the number of dead is well within the margin of acceptable losses; See libtards, the system works. Time to move on before these crisis actors ham it up even more in tv. 

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

On NPR, they said the shooter got the gun from Nevada where gun laws are more lax, and they're investigating a white power post on Instagram for potentially inspiring the shooter to do this.

So according to This article gun violence in California spikes whenever there's a gun show in neighboring Nevada.

When a gun show takes place in Nevada, rates of gun deaths and injuries rise in neighboring California during the next two weeks, according to a study published in 2017. But when the gun shows take place in California, this local effect is not seen -- even when accounting for California's 10-day waiting period.

This doesn't surprise me if true... gun violence in NY/NJ is fueled by guns from neighboring states with lax gun laws as well.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This doesn't surprise me if true... gun violence in NY/NJ is fueled by guns from neighboring states with lax gun laws as well.

This is also true for Chicago. Whenever conservatives cry about failed gun control laws, they use Chicago as an example. 

Except they casually leave out that Chicago is part of Cooke county and 15 minutes outside the city, the gun laws are very lax. I read an article that something like 15% of all gun related incidents in Chicago can be traced back to a single gun shop just outside the city. 

Edit: here is a similar article:

https://abc7chicago.com/news/protesters-take-aim-at-bad-apple-gun-dealers-at-chucks-gun-shop-in-riverdale/770226/

17 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ideally, your sort wouldn't be making the laws

With a 5-4 supreme court, we are exactly who would be making the laws. If RGB goes during Trumps presidency, we can count on a strong gun lobby and support by the courts for the next two decades. 

The reporting on this has been such shit. The writer at CNN said he used an "AK-47" type rifle, it's clear she has no idea what an AK-47 is. I actually messaged her, suggesting she might want to correct it, it's an AR-15, and besides magazine capacity, it's no different than any other semi-automatic rifle. Her response was "I know nothing about guns, i'm just going to leave it as it is." Ummm, if you know nothing about guns, maybe you should not be reporting on them. Aren't reporters supposed to do research? Oh no, thats right, the major networks are propaganda, not news. 

And they are still reporting there might have been a second shooter, yet they have no evidence of it at all. 

39 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, they really need to report the exact weapon it was so gun nuts can start stroking their dick saying, “Oh yeah gotta get me one of them guns, perfect for mowing down 6 year old boys!” 

for real. I play video games. I know absolutely nothing about how they are made. I guess I can't give my opinion on them. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, they really need to report the exact weapon it was so gun nuts can start stroking their dick saying, “Oh yeah gotta get me one of them guns, perfect for mowing down 6 year old boys!” 

Gun owners don't need to be told what rifles they need. We already know. It's the people who know nothing about guns that are the problem, falsely claiming things like "An AR-15 is an assault rifle", its not true. "The killer had an AK-47 style rifle". Also not true. But their target audiance will eat it up! 

The problem has never been the guns. The problem is mental health and the internet having become a breeding ground for hate. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The reporting on this has been such shit. The writer at CNN said he used an "AK-47" type rifle, it's clear she has no idea what an AK-47 is. I actually messaged her, suggesting she might want to correct it, it's an AR-15, and besides magazine capacity, it's no different than any other semi-automatic rifle. Her response was "I know nothing about guns, i'm just going to leave it as it is." Ummm, if you know nothing about guns, maybe you should not be reporting on them. Aren't reporters supposed to do research? Oh no, thats right, the major networks are propaganda, not news. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/thatHappened/

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

The best way to trigger a gun nut is to tell them the AR in AR-15 stands for "assault rifle."

We aren't the ones triggered by guns. We're just fed up with demonization of them by people who have no idea what they are talking about. And if I can't trust a reporter to do the correct research on what was used, I also can't trust them to get any other part of their story right either. 

1 minute ago, TheGreatGamble said:

We aren't the ones triggered by guns. We're just fed up with demonization of them by people who have no idea what they are talking about. And if I can't trust a reporter to do the correct research on what was used, I also can't trust them to get any other part of their story right either. 

Ok apoc.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

It's crazy to think you can return to the board under a different name, act the same, have the same views and think you're fooling people into thinking you're a different person. Everyman/NotEnoughPayne tried that, too, yet he was very tuned into who everyone was and what IGN was despite supposedly finding the board via Google. :p 

On a separate note, I'd actually like to see a screenshot of your conversation with her.

As of last night the talk in Fallon is about harassing the news crews that are trying to get an interview with the owner of the gun shop. And of course the rallying comment's of "Time to give Big Mike more business." Also people are taking offense to one news station reporting the street that the business is. It is also his home address and they think the news had no right saying that address. 

My personal favorite so far is some in the community are trying to get together to build a wall around his business so the news will leave him alone...

4 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Gun owners don't need to be told what rifles they need. We already know. It's the people who know nothing about guns that are the problem, falsely claiming things like "An AR-15 is an assault rifle", its not true. "The killer had an AK-47 style rifle". Also not true. But their target audiance will eat it up! 

The problem has never been the guns. The problem is mental health and the internet having become a breeding ground for hate. 

Then how do you explain other countries having similar stats for mental health, the same access to the internet and similar social problems but not having the same levels of gun violence or mass shootings? How do you explain the gun lobby always suppressing stats that show the likelihood of a person being injured by a gun GOES UP when a gun is in the home? If we're going to talk about guns let's talk about them. But don't say that they aren't part of the problem. The easy access to them, lack of regulation and training and the cavalier attitude that modern gun lobby has fostered in today's day and age is the problem in this country.

• Like 3