Trump asserts executive privilege over entire Mueller report and all evidence collected

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/congress-contempt-barr.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

WASHINGTON — President Trump asserted executive privilege on Wednesday in an effort to shield hidden portions of Robert S. Mueller III’s unredacted report and the evidence he collected from Congress.

The assertion, Mr. Trump’s first use of the secrecy powers as president, came as the House Judiciary Committee is expected to vote Wednesday morning to recommend the House of Representatives hold Attorney General William P. Barr in contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena for the same material.

“This is to advise you that the president has asserted executive privilege over the entirety of the subpoenaed materials,” a Justice Department official, Stephen E. Boyd, wrote Wednesday morning, referencing not only the Mueller report but the underlying evidence that House Democrats are seeking.

As far as I understand it, this will prevent not only the unredacted report from being released, but will also prevent House Democrats from getting any of the evidence that Mueller gathered. Will this stand up to court challenge? Probably, considering that Trump's appointees control SCOTUS.

Pelosi will be the last one to back impeachment, by design. Let's argue over whether that's a good idea rather than pretending that she should put herself front and center and make the story about her rather than him.

Meanwhile:

Like, what is this board's fetish with only posting the worst and most cynical stuff about her? There's plenty to complain about but come on. The glee that some people take in smearing their cynicism around all over everything is gross.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Pelosi will be the last one to back impeachment, by design. Let's argue over whether that's a good idea rather than pretending that she should put herself front and center and make the story about her rather than him.

Meanwhile:

Like, what is this board's fetish with only posting the worst and most cynical stuff about her? There's plenty to complain about but come on. The glee that some people take in smearing their cynicism around all over everything is gross.

The thought of Steve Mnuchin behind bars is a great joy to me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anathema- said:

It's not a fetish - it's probably because she's weak on a lot of issues. I praised her handling of the government shutdown but let's not kid ourselves - Pelosi is a middle manager at best, she's no leader

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's not a fetish - it's probably because she's weak on a lot of issues. I praised her handling of the government shutdown but let's not kid ourselves - Pelosi is a middle manager at best, she's no leader

After Scott Brown was elected and the future of the ACA was bleak, Nancy Pelosi put that bill on her back and carried it over the finish line. She also passed cap and trade even though it died in the Senate. She was elected majority leader despite her profile among skeptics. She's earned the respect of her putative left wing agitators. She held the caucus to vote against trump in a way that Schumer didn't.

If those aren't events that expose leadership what does? Again, disagree with her choices to slow walk impeachment - I'm not sure I'm convinced myself - but saying she's no leader is plainly false with even a cursory glance at her career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

After Scott Brown was elected and the future of the ACA was bleak, Nancy Pelosi put that bill on her back and carried it over the finish line. She also passed cap and trade even though it died in the Senate. She was elected majority leader despite her profile among skeptics. She's earned the respect of her putative left wing agitators. She held the caucus to vote against trump in a way that Schumer didn't.

If those aren't events that expose leadership what does? Again, disagree with her choices to slow walk impeachment - I'm not sure I'm convinced myself - but saying she's no leader is plainly false with even a cursory glance at her career.

Eh, I guess I'd say she's a weak leader. She's politically savvy, no question, but I think her inauthenticity and truly centrist values while calling herself a progressive undermine that. She's a lot better than Schumer, but that's damning with faint praise.

She's sponsored and passed some of the most progressive legislation in history, how can she be either a centrist or a weak leader? A centrist / weak leader would be a schmuck like Bart Stupak. Weak leaders are the last couple Republican speakers. Pelosi holds her caucus together.

9 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

She's sponsored and passed some of the most progressive legislation in history, how can she be either a centrist or a weak leader? A centrist / weak leader would be a schmuck like Bart Stupak. Weak leaders are the last couple Republican speakers. Pelosi holds her caucus together.

The Republicans WISH they had a Pelosi on their side. 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

She also passed cap and trade even though it died in the Senate.

Every single time this comes up my blood boils (much like our future oceans will!). It's because there wasn't 60 votes in the Senate. A majority was there, but the fillibuster got in the way. Every single democratic candidate needs to be on record for abolishing it. This is an absolute litmus test. There won't be a democratic majority like we had 08-10 in the Senate for the foreseeable future, and Republicans won't help at all. Ever.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/congress-contempt-barr.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

As far as I understand it, this will prevent not only the unredacted report from being released, but will also prevent House Democrats from getting any of the evidence that Mueller gathered. Will this stand up to court challenge? Probably, considering that Trump's appointees control SCOTUS.

Dems are leaning into the Constitutional crisis line pretty hard.

They should probably save that for when a court orders him to hand something over and he won't. That's when the real Constitutional crisis starts.