"No Religion" is now the top religion in the US

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

AKA "Catholic Lite"

I was born Roman Catholic, so I guess that works. :p 

8 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Would it just be so you could say your Episcopalian which sounds way cooler than any other option, or it's legitimately appealing to you?

Genuinely appealing. They're quite welcoming to the LGBTQ demographic, which has been comforting to many of my religious gay friends (and yes, while I'd agree with many here that I don't make sense of a gay person turning to Christianity, I'm not going to bother them about it because no), but they actually really impressed me when our AP US history and government teacher, an Episcopalian, died a year after we graduated. I've never laughed that hard at a funeral; when we say that a funeral is a celebration of life, this one REALLY felt like a celebration. It felt very warm and it explained a lot about our teacher, who was a wonderful human being.

EDIT: I actually never thought about how it sounded, but I guess it does sound pretty good. :lol: 

For Catholics, the Episcopal Church is a "natural" denomination to join if the decision is made to leave the "baggage" of Catholicism behind.  The Episcopal Church (which grew out of the Anglican Church of England) retains practically all of the trappings of Catholicism, right down to a nearly structurally identical liturgical service.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Let's be clear though: "no religion" doesn't mean "atheist" or "agnostic".

A person can self-identify as having "no religion" and still be a Christian.  All it means is that person doesn't identify with an organized denomination.

18 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yes, but it appears that this study doesn't take into account someone identifying simply as a "Christian" with no affiliated denomination, but rather only includes specific denominations within Christianity (Catholic, Mainline Protestant, Evangelical Protestant, etc.)

I don't think this is the case.

The data is from the The General Social Survey (GSS), out of the University of Chicago. You can see their questionnaires here. On English Ballot 1, page 121, it starts by asking "What is your religious preference? Is it Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, some other religion, or no religion?" If they say "other religion," they they try to break that out into other Christian denominations, but they include inter or non-denominational Christian as an answer that is seperate from no religion.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

For Catholics, the Episcopal Church is a "natural" denomination to join if the decision is made to leave the "baggage" of Catholicism behind.  The Episcopal Church (which grew out of the Anglican Church of England) retains practically all of the trappings of Catholicism, right down to a nearly structurally identical liturgical service.

I've honestly never thought of it that way, but perhaps being a Catholic for a period of time just made the Episcopal Church appear more welcoming. I know my parents left because they disliked the church and my dad just ended up thinking religion as a whole is a sham while my mom is more spiritual (she thinks something happens besides ceasing to exist but isn't sure what). 

28 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The data is from the The General Social Survey (GSS), out of the University of Chicago. You can see their questionnaires here. On English Ballot 1, page 121, it starts by asking "What is your religious preference? Is it Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, some other religion, or no religion?" If they say "other religion," they they try to break that out into other Christian denominations, but they include inter or non-denominational Christian as an answer that is seperate from no religion.

Oh - I stand corrected!

38 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I still think it's misleading to say "no religion is now the top religion" given that the various types of Christians still add up to a majority.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I still think it's misleading to say "no religion is now the top religion" given that the various types of Christians still add up to a majority.

Yeah. Adding up all the Christians and it's 71%. That seems like the top religion to me.

4 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

How often do you have to go to church to be officially "Christian"?

Depends on the denomination. If you went one time, many will mark you forever on their rolls :silly:

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Technically, you don't have to go at all.

True.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Depends on the denomination. If you went one time, many will mark you forever on their rolls :silly:

This is what I find comical.

"Christian" can contain everything from devout believers who have weekly bible study sessions, to those of us who have Easter Egg hunts and put presents under a Christmas tree.

That's why these "self-reported" statistics can be a little misleading.

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Number has gone up!

man-cross.jpg
WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

The diversity in age, location, and race among those unaffiliated with religion is growing across the country.

I can feel it, even in Texas. You used to be able to go out for brunch late Sunday morning and “beat the crowds”, because most people were in church. Now, the wait lines start well before church lets out. Boooo!

On 4/28/2019 at 3:03 PM, Kal-El814 said:

There’s a place where everyone can be happy, it’s the most beautiful place in the whole fucking world...

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There’s a place where everyone can be happy…

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s the most beautiful place in the whole wide fucking world!

Joke still slaps 2 years later

michael stipe grammy winners GIF

I went to a catholic elementary school, but always hated going to church. As I got older and shit just seemed to get worse around me. I find myself mad that anyone could do such horrors or allow them to happen if they have the power to stop them. Religion I feel is the cause of all problems around the world and people fight because of it. I do believe their is some sort of higher power out there because we are here, but not in the “GOD” I was taught in school.

23 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Churches had a golden opportunity with the pandemic to truly be a force for good, but it really feels like they all blew it--from pastors attacking the vaccine and mask mandates to insisting on holding in-person services.

Harder to bilk your flock to fund your private jet if they're on a Zoom call and nobody else can see them not stick money in the collections jar.