Here's the first photo of a black hole

19 minutes ago, elbobo said:

it took so much data from various places around the world they couldn't send it over the internet to combine it, they actually shipped the harddives around the world. 

5 Petabytes of data. 

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A black hole forms after a very massive star collapses on itself at the end of its lifecycle.  It's essentially a region of space that has a gravitational pull so strong that not even particles of light can escape it.

That I knew, I meant like the event horizon thing. 

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The "event horizon" is the boundary beyond which any light emitted cannot escape the black hole's gravitational pull - it's effectively the "point of no return".

However, the space right before an event horizon is all fucked up too, so it emits massive amounts of radiation and distorts light in different ways (hence the glow in the image).

3 hours ago, johnny said:

So does a black hole just absorb all the energy and light and then like... explode? What happens with everything it absorbed when the black hole is done? 

https://www.space.com/24899-black-holes-stars-information-paradox.html

The researchers say that, as the black hole evaporates and shrinks, its boundary will at some point meet that of the Planck star as it expands after the bounce. When that happens, there is no black hole horizon any more, and all information trapped inside the black hole can escape.

In this case, the information paradox would be solved; the information would simply be re-emitted into the universe.

"The black hole has a huge remnant — a Planck star — and this allows us to understand the evaporation of black holes, their final stage of life, without paradoxes. Paradoxes are not part of nature; they are the sign of some incomplete knowledge," Vidotto said.

Rovelli agrees: "Information is never too concentrated, and it can escape with the explosion of the star." This release of information, he estimates, would generate radiation with a wavelength of about 10^-14 cm — the wavelength of gamma rays.

"Now we glimpse a tantalizing possibility: If, in the black holes, matter collapses and then bounces, the expansion can be a very dramatic event, a big explosion," Vidotto said.

And possibly, the scientists add, astronomers have already observed Planck stars releasing the information into space, in the form of extremely bright events called gamma-ray bursts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I can't even begin to attempt to comprehend how what she achieved was done. I know, like with any field, there are stepping stones and all makes sense in time but fucking hell...

So I'm entirely too stupid to get this most likely, but here goes for those interested: 

• Thanks 2