Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

54 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

True.  It's the Democrats' incompetence that will prevent a 2020 victory.

Because the GOP is clearly the party of competence?

https://www.axios.com/kevin-mccarthy-trump-republican-health-care-affordable-care-act-432a5c5f-71cb-4db7-bab5-a7d55aac59ad.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

McCarthy told Trump over the phone that the decision made no sense — especially after Democrats killed Republicans in the midterms in part over the issue of pre-existing conditions, according to two sources familiar with their recent conversation. As Bloomberg's Sahil Kapur points out — health care was the top issue for 2018 midterm voters, and voters who cared most about health care favored Democrats over Republicans by more than 50 percentage points.

Show less

The big picture: McCarthy is far from alone in his view. Multiple GOP sources — from the most conservative to the most moderate wing of the party — have told Axios that they can't fathom why the president would want to re-litigate an issue that has been a clear loser for Republicans.

A senior House Republican aide texted: "Members feel like [the Mueller report announcement] was great and Trump stepped all over it that message with the Obamacare lawsuit announcement."

They’re also exasperated about Trump’s substance-free declaration that Republicans will become "The Party of Healthcare.” Republicans aren’t united on health care, and they have been unable to advance a replacement for the ACA.

Nate Silver is as useless as all of the other horserace pundits

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/12/why-you-should-never-ever-listen-to-nate-silver

That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with Nate Silver, just that nobody should ever pay any attention to him. Nate Silver will probably always be the best poll data analyst. The problem is that poll data analysts are completely fucking useless in a crisis. They don’t understand anything that’s going on around them, and they’re powerless to predict what’s about to happen next. Listening to anything they have to say is very, very dangerous. If you want to change anything, you’ve got to forget Nate Silver forever. That’s because he tells you entirely about the world as it looks to him right now, rather than the world as it could suddenly be tomorrow. He has no idea what the outer boundaries of the possible are. Nobody does.

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

Of all the polling people to go after, let's go after the guy that got into fucking Twitter wars in the weeks before the election because he was insisting Trump had a solid chance of winning. We even had a thread about it on here! I assume it got wiped. What a shame.

He's posted that before and we've gone over it. I think you may have even made this same post almost verbatim to him. He just ignores it.

3 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

the posts without substance aren't the ones that make people mad

I wouldn't be so sure about that, it can be both. :p 

And it's not "getting people mad" if they want to engage you in a rigorous (phrasing!) debate and test your arguments with their own. You rarely engage, but it doesn't mean they're mad, it means they're ready to debate you. 

Or maybe users used to want to. Now you've been doing the shit posting and lack of substantive engagement for so long I'm not sure other users would believe you'd ever engage in good faith debate anymore haha.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And it's not "getting people mad" if they want to engage you in a rigorous (phrasing!) debate and test your arguments with their own. You rarely engage, but it doesn't mean they're mad, it means they're ready to debate you. 

I could do that but I really don't want to hear the same bad faith arguments over and over again

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I could do that but I really don't want to hear the same bad faith arguments over and over again

You're telling me from day one that every user you've ever engaged with into a proper and real debate on the Current Events board have always only ever peddled bad faith arguments? I'm asking genuinely because I don't know - I started frequenting the CEB properly in 2015. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

You're telling me from day one that every user you've ever engaged with into a proper and real debate on the Current Events board have always only ever peddled bad faith arguments? I'm asking genuinely because I don't know - I started frequenting the CEB properly in 2015. 

That's not what I'm saying.  

I know how liberals treat the left.  Any attempt at earnest debate with them will go south quickly, especially with certain users here.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

That's not what I'm saying.  

I know how liberals treat the left.  Any attempt at earnest debate with them will go south quickly, especially with certain users here.

Right, I follow you. What I'm saying is that seems presumptive to me, no? I'm very progressive and have been most of my life but I've never felt like all liberals are bad faith debaters. Republicans/conservatives on the other hand . . . 

40 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Because the GOP is clearly the party of competence?

No, the GOP is the Leopards Eating People's Face party.  But when the Democrats try and call them out on that, the GOP have enough propaganda channels to convince the general public that it's totally fake news and that "We'll eat everyone's face BUT yours!  Trust us!  Democrats are the REAL face-eaters!"  And then when they get elected, people act surprised when they turn right around and bite their face off.

...Sorry, do I sound too negative right now?  I'm moving on Friday into my own place (something I've wanted to do since I was a teenager), so I'm half-expecting something really shitty to happen.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Let’s get this thread back on track and get answers to the REAL questions:

@SaysWho?, do you have a cool on-air nickname like “Hurricane”, “Whirlwind”, or “Thunder-Snow”? Because, if not, I can’t possibly take you seriously as a meteorologist.

"Wish I was Spork"

11 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

No, the GOP is the Leopards Eating People's Face party.  But when the Democrats try and call them out on that, the GOP have enough propaganda channels to convince the general public that it's totally fake news and that "We'll eat everyone's face BUT yours!  Trust us!  Democrats are the REAL face-eaters!"  And then when they get elected, people act surprised when they turn right around and bite their face off.

...Sorry, do I sound too negative right now?  I'm moving on Friday into my own place (something I've wanted to do since I was a teenager), so I'm half-expecting something really shitty to happen.

You do sound too negative. :P 

It's not that I think Trump is toast. We just dinner know what will happen, so I see no reason to preemptively be upset about the results.

Congrats on your move!

4 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

You guys overestimate the reach of the right wing media, I think we've reached a point where all they're hitting is the true believers anyways, and people just really don't like Trump, as polling on this issue is essentially his approval.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/politics/cnn-poll-mueller-reaction-exoneration/index.html

A majority (56%) says the President and his campaign have not been exonerated of collusion, but that what they've heard or read about the report shows collusion could not be proven. Fewer, 43%, say Trump and his team have been exonerated of collusion.

Although Mueller could not establish Trump or his campaign "conspired or coordinated with" the Russian government, according to Barr's letter, the poll finds the American people continue to view the issue through partisan lenses.

32 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

It is sad to think that government can't self correct itself like it was able to do some with Watergate. It is clear that if Watergate happened today Nixon would be going for a third term.

Narrator: It never actually corrected itself after Watergate. 

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

It is sad to think that government can't self correct itself like it was able to do some with Watergate. It is clear that if Watergate happened today Nixon would be going for a third term.

I guess Watchmen was on to something. 

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Are we sure RSF is even a real person? The shit posting is always top tier, but always substanceless so I figured spambot?

He was a baseball board mainstay back on IGN, so he's definitely real.