Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

MSNBC should ignore Trump’s approval ratings for the next month or two 

This will have zero effect on his approval ratings. He's still a garbage monster, and the 40% approve/52% disapprove from the past year plus really only changed due to the shut down, and not in Trump's favor. Opinions on him are calcified.

I'm curious long-term if this will have a tangible effect considering despite seeing big drops during the government shutdown and during the gun control debate after Parkland, and seeing increases after the first North Korea summit, it always reverts to a low 40s average. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a bump short-term once we see more tracking polls, but it's more significant if he begins to hover higher than that or if it eventually comes down to the low 40s.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Olo

They’ll need to be comparing Bernie Sanders to Joe Stalin or calling Joe Biden a child molester by then.

Or going full anti-LGBT on Mayor Pete.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hahahaha we're still gonna be talking about Hillary's goddamn emails

This too.

Just now, MarSolo said:

They’ll need to be comparing Bernie Sanders to Joe Stalin or calling Joe Biden a child molester by then.

Or going full anti-LGBT on Mayor Pete.

Correct, alongside touting that the DNC is filled with crazy Russian conspiracies and that there was no collusion.

The Russia stuff, including the Mueller investigation, and Trump’s petulant reactions and responses to it were part of what was hurting him in the polls (obviously not only that). His approval ratings are about to start climbing among independents with this new narrative created by Barr’s “summary” of Mueller’s report. It may be enough to push him to an electoral college win in 2020.

And, yes, I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

I am not too worried about a permanent coverup. I think they realize whatever they try to hid will get leaked(or be released by some other means), and prolonging the disclosures as they dribble in one by one is probably more damaging than just getting it all out there.

I think what they're doing is what they did with the "release the memo". If there is one thing Republicans are good at it framing the conversation. I have to think they have succeeded beyond their wildest hopes of pushing the "no collusion, total exoneration" message. The media...well let's just say it has been rather eager to spread what I think is the GOP's message.

So that whatever is revealed in a few weeks, people will say, "What does it matter that Trump knew about the Trump Tower meeting all along and lied about it? We all know there was no collusion, so why does it matter?"

On a sidenote, on the question of obstruction I really don't see how they keep that secret. Mueller's whole approach to that question seems predicated on his findings being sent to Congress. If Barr or the White House try to block that, they are begging Mueller to testify to Congress about it.

And, an important point I haven't heard anyone address. I have heard people say things like, "Can Congress make Mueller testify, or can the WH prevent that?". But no seems to be mentioning that, as far as I know, the WH and a legal battle over Mueller testifying is only an issue if Mueller resists it, or allows the WH/DoJ to decide. If he wants to, if he decides it is necessary to, he can testify before Congress and the WH can't stop him. At least that is my understanding.

Also, Dahlia Lithwick has a great article summing up a lot of my feelings on this. The GOP is so much better then us at messaging. 

Mueller Did His Investigation for a World We Don’t Inhabit

His report was predicated on caring about facts. Our world is about who can claim victory the quickest.

While every other network was trying to parse out scenarios and future outcomes, and carefully explaining that nothing definitive had been shared with the public, conservative media and congressional Republicans were already claiming that the facts had been amassed, and assessed and released, and supported their cause. Were they clairvoyant? Did they have some insider information? No, they just had the special feeling they get at Fox: The facts are not material to the claim. In the absence of any knowable facts, Republicans declare victory and invent their own. In the absence of any knowable facts, Democrats declare defeat.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So it’s going to be a bunch of pages with all but three words blacked out. Those three words? “Exonerates”, “the”, and “President”. And no, all three will not be on the same page or in a row :p 

Did you hear that Barr only quoted Mueller 4 times in the report, never in a complete sentence, and twice he used punctuation that indicated he was literally cutting a sentence in half to get the desired quote?

One of my very first thoughts on Sunday when I initially read the Barr memo was that I thought it reminded me of when a movie critic says something like "This movie is stunningly bad" and the makers quote him as saying the movie is "Stunning...". 

12 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Did you hear that Barr only quoted Mueller 4 times in the report, never in a complete sentence, and twice he used punctuation that indicated he was literally cutting a sentence in half to get the desired quote?

One of my very first thoughts on Sunday when I initially read the Barr memo was that I thought it reminded me of when a movie critic says something like "This movie is stunningly bad" and the makers quote him as saying the movie is "Stunning...". 

Do you have a source? I haven’t heard that (though, figured) and am interested in reading more

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Do you have a source? I haven’t heard that (though, figured) and am interested in reading more

I don't think I have seen in discussed in print, just on podcasts and news shows. I recommend today's episode of Opening Arguments for an in depth analysis on it and a lot of things.

But it doesn't take deep analysis to prove it or anything, it's a matter of grammar. Here is an article with the full text of Barr's summary....

Russian Interference in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election. The Special Counsel’s report is divided into two parts. The first describes the results of the Special Counsel’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. The report outlines the Russian effort to influence the election and documents crimes committed by persons associated with the Russian government in connection with those efforts. The report further explains that a primary consideration for the Special Counsel’s investigation was whether any Americans—including individuals associated with the Trump campaign—joined the Russian conspiracies to influence the election, which would be a federal crime. The Special Counsel’s investigation did not find that the Trump campaign or anyone associated with it conspired or coordinated with Russia in its efforts to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential election. As the report states: “[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.1

The portion at the end is my bolding for emphasis. Notice how the beggining of the quote of the actual report begins [T]. This means in Mueller's Report that is a lower case t because it is not the start of a sentence. Barr cut the sentence apart to include it.

Since we are smack dab in the middle of many on the left rending their garments and calling for the heads of anyone who ever promoted the Russia stuff because Mueller didn't walk Trump off in a pair of handcuffs I want to be clear I am not saying some blockbuster reveal is waiting behind that omission from Barr. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's a little something that Barr chose to omit. But it is one of many times where Barr seemed to obscure what Mueller had to say. And I think we should see what Mueller had to say before we declare the whole investigation a waste of time.

Morning Consult poll from yesterday and today, approval/disapproval -13 or holding steady basically, plurality understand mueller didn't make a determination on obstruction.  Its scary how many in the GOP believe it says he didn't obstruct.

https://morningconsult.com/2019/03/26/trumps-popularity-unchanged-after-completion-of-mueller-probe/

190326_Mueller-Obstruction-Poll_fullwidt

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So, what was up with that one Twitter post with the source a few pages back saying that this would be very bad for the President?

Because whoever she was, she got bamboozled.

Given the lengths they're going to to keep us from seeing the report, including Barr saying the White House will get the Mueller report before the public does in case it wants to make redactions, a reasonable interpretation would be that her source knew about the contents of the actual Mueller report, and not just the Barr press release.