Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

3 minutes ago, chakoo said:

A legit reason to bump. Fuck fuck fuck...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-says-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-hospitalized-with-infection/2020/05/05/9ac4ee42-8f30-11ea-9322-a29e75effc93_story.html

"Supreme Court says Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized with infection"

I was listening to oral arguments this morning, and she definitely didn't sound good. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All the more reason to expand and pack the court.

Yes because if the Democrats at the height of their power couldn't do it, surely this Democratic Party can.

Anyway, it's a gallbladder infection. Hopefully not too serious.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All the more reason to expand and pack the court.

Instead, Chuck will personally help McConnell appoint Don Jr. to the Supreme Court in exchange for getting everyone another one-time $1200 means tested check. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

For now. The ability of old folks to fight infections is greatly reduced. Even generally healthy old people can have dramatic negative swings from an infection.

Yeah, this happens like once every two months and there's gonna come a time when she doesn't turn out "fine."  We have 8 more months of these rolls of the dice, because the GOP absolutely will nominate and confirm a new justice on the morning of Inauguration Day 2021 if RBG dies the night before.

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

sblfilms covered it but not fine. The initial cause is not overly bad but an infection can easily kill someone at that age. When I was younger, my grandfather died after what initially started out as an ear infection. 

24 minutes ago, Jose said:

Yes because if the Democrats at the height of their power couldn't do it, surely this Democratic Party can.

Anyway, it's a gallbladder infection. Hopefully not too serious.

Fdr backed down and it got the court to change its tune

The credibile threat should be there to get a constitutional amendment for term limiting the courts

16 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The court should be staggered so that each justice has a term limit (10 years? 18? 20?) and that each president gets to appoint 2. Or something like that. I'm not a math person. Our current system (this applies to so many different aspects of America) is asinine.

One per term. You'd still have to figure out what to do with stuff like deaths, but at least they'd be way less likely to die before resigning if they were termed. 

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, outsida said:

My heart can’t take much more of this! RBG, please hold up for 6 more months. 

My greatest wish is that Dems win the Senate (and white house obvs), and they are sworn in on Jan 1, then RBG kicks it on Jan 2 (or 20th I don't care) and either way trump tries to nominate someone for the effort to fall flat