Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

You need 51 senators to form a quorum. Even if Trump nominates someone, it's possible that they may not even get a vote.  But this would require the Dems to convince 2 or 3 Republicans to not show up to work during the lame duck session to prevent a nominee from being approved. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

You need 51 senators to form a quorum. Even if Trump nominates someone, it's possible that they may not even get a vote.  But this would require the Dems to convince 2 or 3 Republicans to not show up to work during the lame duck session to prevent a nominee from being approved. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Right.  I know.

BUT if Trump continues to slide into abject unpopularity, will a moderate Republican want to be tied to a hugely decisive appointment like that, during a lame duck session?  

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If she dies the night before the new Congress is sworn in on January 3, McConnell will have Justice Jeanine rammed through by the morning. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Right.  I know.

BUT if Trump continues to slide into abject unpopularity, will a moderate Republican want to be tied to a hugely decisive appointment like that, during a lame duck session?  

Yes, especially after Nov 3. Kav got through with a less right wing senate ffs

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Right.  I know.

LOL why would it be a moderate Republican? It'll be some nutcase like Rao. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Why do you hate democracy

In an effort to create a more perfect union, I don't think the answer is continued escalation.  Packing the courts is absolutely escalation that will be responded to with vigor by the other side. 

For the record, packing the court should be the credible threat in order to pass a constitutional amendment that explicitly calls a size of the supreme and inferior courts and also limits the length of tenure for judges and justices, and a few limited but related other issues.

This is a deescalation move

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

In an effort to create a more perfect union, I don't think the answer is continued escalation.  Packing the courts is absolutely escalation that will be responded to with vigor by the other side. 

Mitch and others have already packed the court by refusing to confirm judges and justices from 2015-2017 under obama don't give me this shit it's weak

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Seems better than our current situation where one side continually escalates, the other side tries to pull things back to normal, then the first side freaks out as if continual escalation is happening and continues to escalate

5 minutes ago, mrbiggsly said:

Seems better than our current situation where one side continually escalates, the other side tries to pull things back to normal, then the first side freaks out as if continual escalation is happening and continues to escalate

They don't even do that lol

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

If you were able to type this part with a straight face, congrats. Much impressed.

It's a mushy phrase, to be sure.

America was never perfect, even at the founding, and has and should strive to make the union "better" in all aspects.  Depending on what metric you want to look at, we are a "more perfect union" compared to 1776, 1789, 1865, 1964, etc.