The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

9 hours ago, Firewithin said:

he picked the guy who said a sitting president cant be indicted?

0IdY0G9.gif

This is the hysterically part that goes under the radar.

forget about everything else you know about the nominee...THIS was the reason he got picked.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Kennedy might be a little far to the left there.

It comes from the Journal of Law, Economics and Organization and actually seems pretty accurate. I think it's not how left or right the judge is but how left or right they are compared to the current court in 2016 (and how Kavanaugh fits in). For example, in terms of actual scores, Kennedy is to the right:

T6w6Sk4.png

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Isn't it completely normal for justices to indicate a preference for their successor?

I think it is not uncommon but just because it has been done in the past doesn't mean it should be considered ok 

24 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Isn't it completely normal for justices to indicate a preference for their successor?

Yes. But not so normal to hand pick the successor and choose when to retire based on the assurance that your guy gets the job.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So would this mean that isps are responsible for data over their network?

It would seem to suggest so.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It would seem to suggest so.

In reality though, folks like kavanaugh would no doubt give them a "good faith" exception to things like CP and copyright infringement so they really wouldn't be responsible if they 'try' to get rid of such things.

14 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

Lol you didn’t understand my point at all.

My point is this: You think I don’t want a white SCOTUS because I’m racist against whites (lol). You’re wrong. That’s not the reason I’m against another old white dude being SCOTUS. 

The reason I don’t want a white SCOTUS because I think society is better off when the people in power come from diverse backgrounds. Which you already agreed is ok to think sooooo....

edit: or did you agree on that? I'm not sure. You were being pretty evasive. Either way, lol @ the notion that I'm racist against white people. 

Yes diversity is a good thing, and the more diverse we are the better, (at least emotionally, but I don't have any empirical metrics to back up if diversity is better for everyone in different societies?), but excluding someone based on the color of their skin is racist.  It's as simple as that.  

The only difference between you and me is that I don't give two shits what the color/age/gender the SCJ is, it is only you who want to discriminate based on these things, and at the end of the day, that's being racist. 

Having said that, we all know that this Administration wouldn't nominate anyone other than a white dude as a SCJ, and that is equally as racist. 

23 hours ago, Jason said:

That's a rather extreme position that I've never even seen considered before. I've seen plenty of arguments that the FCC overstepped its authority or that it's a good/bad idea in general, but never that net neutrality is straight up unconstitutional. That would be a very dangerous precedent to set.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's to burnish her 'moderate' reputation, not to avoid the ire of Trump. She hopes that she can peel off the ~60k voters who voted for Trump in 16 that voted for her in '12. 

If the Republicans can get the votes without her, there is literally 0 harm in her voting to confirm. So it kinda comes down to Collins and murkowski again

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the Republicans can get the votes without her, there is literally 0 harm in her voting to confirm. So it kinda comes down to Collins and murkowski again

If people like Heitkamp are going to vote yes regardless then it takes all the pressure off Collins and Murkowski.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

If people like Heitkamp are going to vote yes regardless then it takes all the pressure off Collins and Murkowski.

I don't think she (or others) vote yes no matter what. I think they will follow the lead of Collins, so they can say there is bipartisan concern about his appointment to the court, and the balance of the court. They won't vote no unless there is some bipartisan cover. That is unless they are anti abortion Dems in which case :guillotine: