The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have an Amex charge card that I can defer payments up to 6 months with no interest. My Amex blue card allows you to create payment plans up to 24 months with fixed payments and zero interest (as long as you make all the payments on time).

Once you graduate from more basic Visa/MasterCard cards, there are a lot of CC products that allow you to carry balances with no interest.

I only use my Amazon card for the 5% back, otherwise, I never use CCs. :p 

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I have an Amex blue cash card, but I rarely use it. I seem to get better benefits with my Capital One Quicksilver and my Amazon Chase card. 

Very well could on those mid-tier cards. The banks have been aggressively trying to peel away the Amex domination of upper-middle class customers. Visa Signature products from most banks have pretty comparable benefits to Amex at equivalent incomes levels if you’re a churner that pays off the balance each month.

I have a Chase card that is a Visa Signature for the rare occasions in which I can’t use my Amex.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I only use my Amazon card for the 5% back, otherwise, I never use CCs. :p 

Word. I’d probably use CCs a lot less without the business stuff. When I close on our newest theater acquisition, I’ll probably be in the 1 million dollars a year range for CC use.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't want to carry large balances on my CCs. I just don't like debt. I use my CCs like a debit card. I don't charge more than what I'm willing to pay at that time. 

It's a pretty good policy. 

I would suggest most people use them in that fashion because most people can’t be trusted with credit :p

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't want to carry large balances on my CCs. I just don't like debt. I use my CCs like a debit card. I don't charge more than what I'm willing to pay at that time. 

Same. The only exception is on my BB or PayPal store cards with 0% interest if paid in x amount of months. (Ie: I want it “now” but can 100% pay it off in the next month :p :lol: )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

A lot of Amex cards are charge cards, which means you HAVE to pay them off every month. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

A lot of Amex cards are charge cards, which means you HAVE to pay them off every month. 

I think the green card is their only charge card that has to be paid in full each month. All the others have the “pay over time” feature. But they aren’t open-ended like a standard CC where you can carry a balance in perpetuity so long as you pay the minimum due.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I think the green card is their only charge card that has to be paid in full each month. All the others have the “pay over time” feature. But they aren’t open-ended like a standard CC where you can carry a balance in

perpetuity so long as you pay the minimum due.

You have to opt in to the pay over time feature on the other charge cards, it's not on by default. Usually the first card they offer it to you on they'll try to entice you into doing it with 10k extra points, but you can just turn it back off after a couple of months. 

Interesting. They just sent me a letter one day saying they added it to my account for transactions up to $100,000. I assumed it was the default option now. Not really sure why anybody would turn it down, you can still pay the whole balance at any time.

I'm forever glad my mom instilled paying things off when they're due. I'm excluding times when you just can't help your credit score failing (I know a few people with failed business ventures who experienced this), but I've never cared what my card's interest rate is because I never go overdue. Make it a habit, and keep bill emails in your inbox (not deleted) to always remind you.

My score is 850, which helped dramatically lower payments of my new car.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm forever glad my mom instilled paying things off when they're due. I'm excluding times when you just can't help your credit score failing (I know a few people with failed business ventures who experienced this), but I've never cared what my card's interest rate is because I never go overdue. Make it a habit, and keep bill emails in your inbox (not deleted) to always remind you.

My score is 850, which helped dramatically lower payments of my new car.

You're fright right? 850 is absurdly high at your age. Do you have a credit card that you've had since you were a child by any chance. Someone at your age should normally be precluded from having that high of a score on credit age alone.

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

You're fright right? 850 is absurdly high at your age. Do you have a credit card that you've had since you were a child by any chance. Someone at your age should normally be precluded from having that high of a score on credit age alone.

Got my first card when I was 19, and I'm 31 now. When I got my first *new* car in 2012, it was around 730, I think. Got my credit checked a few months ago when purchasing my car, and it was at 850. I use the card for almost all purchases and I rarely miss a payment deadline.

People overemphasize how important it is to pay your card on time. It's actually not one of the biggest factors on your credit score. Plus, when you miss your deadline, it doesn't get reported to the credit bureaus unless it is over 30 days past due. Most people when they miss their deadlines just pay the late fees and don't have it end up being reported to the bureaus.

I had an 849 last year before i got my car, had a card since i was 18, use it for just about everything except lunch, pay it off every month, now i'm looking for a house and 2 are over 800 and my Transunion is like 770 something for some reason, and honestly it doesn't make much sense as all of them say i have too many accounts or some shit, but all i have is 2 cards one i never use, 1 car payment and my current mortgage, and they don't list anything other than those so theres no shenanigans with someone opening cards or some shit.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, RedSoxFan9 said:

Moderates Democrats take their base for granted.  They think Democratic voters are suckers who will show up and vote no matter what.

I don't know if that's thinking they're suckers, it might be overestimating them. Unless the democrat was in fact worse than the opposition in the eyes of a democrat, then democrats should vote no matter what for the democrat. Given the state of the GOP, it's hard to imagine that a democrat would find the opposition to a democratic candidate preferable.

Choosing to abstain from voting to make a "point" is very rarely an optimal long-term strategy, if ever.

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

People overemphasize how important it is to pay your card on time. It's actually not one of the biggest factors on your credit score. Plus, when you miss your deadline, it doesn't get reported to the credit bureaus unless it is over 30 days past due. Most people when they miss their deadlines just pay the late fees and don't have it end up being reported to the bureaus.

I'd rather not play the late fees, so on-time it is. :p 

It's important to pay on-time anyway, so I think it's emphasized properly, but YMMV. What I pay monthly for my car is about as low as it possibly could go with no money down (only paying about $17 more a month than on my previous car).

11 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I had an 849 last year before i got my car, had a card since i was 18, use it for just about everything except lunch, pay it off every month, now i'm looking for a house and 2 are over 800 and my Transunion is like 770 something for some reason, and honestly it doesn't make much sense as all of them say i have too many accounts or some shit, but all i have is 2 cards one i never use, 1 car payment and my current mortgage, and they don't list anything other than those so theres no shenanigans with someone opening cards or some shit.

Was the second card opened recently? Also, check your utilization. It matters way more than paying off every month.

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd rather not play the late fees, so on-time it is. :p 

It's important to pay on-time anyway, so I think it's emphasized properly, but YMMV. What I pay monthly for my car is about as low as it possibly could go with no money down (only paying about $17 more a month than on my previous car).

I've never even paid a late fee to a cc company in my life, but what I mean by overemphasized is people end up thinking paying on time is the end all be all when it isn't at all. Credit utilization and age of credit matter way more.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

I've never even paid a late fee to a cc company in my life, but what I mean by overemphasized is people end up thinking paying on time is the end all be all when it isn't at all. Credit utilization and age of credit matter way more.

Gotcha. I know age of credit matters, and mine is a little over 12 years now, so 850 is possible and fortunately my reality. I don't think much changed between now and six years ago, so the 730ish I was at may have been my max in 2012.

9 minutes ago, Jose said:

That's awesome. You probably haven't opened a new card in a long time and are keeping your utilization under 10%. I'm jelly lol (I'm still great at 799, but would like to be higher).

You're kicking ass anyway. :p 

I have not opened a new card in a long time, and now that you say that, I do remember being advised not to open too many since that'll affect my credit score through credit utilization IIRC. I think I actually trimmed down on my cards this decade, come to think of it, so that must have helped!

I don't get how people function with bad credit. I'm not even judging; it's more that, one of my co-workers pays the same amount monthly as I do, but his car is a used old car. I'm like, "wtf, how are you not paying significantly less than I am?" and he said, "My credit sucks." If the best I could do was an old car paying the same as I am now, I'd freak out. O_O_O_O_O_O

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

My main card is my Amazon Visa, which I use for 99% of my purchases and pay off every month; I then have a PNC credit card that I use for large purchases that I pay off over time. That system works pretty well.

I'm a big fan of Freedom Unlimited. 1.5% back on ALL purchases. You can combo it with a Sapphire Reserve since your points get you 1.5% more and you will get the absolute best bang for your points on the market.

I'll be honest, I've never even checked my credit score. The only debt I've ever had is my two car loans (for $20,000 and $30,000) and then my Visa which has always been paid on time with the exception of twice or three times. But I'm also a white Canadian male from the middle-class, so I'm not too worried about it either way. If I need a loan I'll just put on a suit, shave, and walk into a bank.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't use a credit card at all. I had one a long time ago and rarely used it. Other than missing out on "points" and carrying you if you don't have the cash for something immediately needed, what is the reason for using one?

I'm pretty much in agreement.  I do have old credit card debt that we are paying off, and should be all done by next year.  We haven't used the actual card in a long time.  I should be in a position next year to never need to use credit again, aside from buying a house when we move. 

12 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't use a credit card at all. I had one a long time ago and rarely used it. Other than missing out on "points" and carrying you if you don't have the cash for something immediately needed, what is the reason for using one?

Credit card skimmers having a direct line to your bank account and your money (not the cc issuers money) if you use a debit card

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Credit card skimmers having a direct line to your bank account and your money (not the cc issuers money) if you use a debit card

Although that's true, the few times my bank card number has been stolen, the bank/card company has been awesome about repatriating the funds that were taken.  

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm pretty much in agreement.  I do have old credit card debt that we are paying off, and should be all done by next year.  We haven't used the actual card in a long time.  I should be in a position next year to never need to use credit again, aside from buying a house when we move. 

Nice. Although I didn't have any credit debt, my wife had some (about 5K) that was also just lingering from old stuff rather than current use as well. Once I moved out of working in academia it was one of the first things to go :p Was so nice to get rid of it. I think you'll similarly feel great once it's gone.

The next thing to go was all my student loan debt, which was not as bad as some people, but absolutely a burden. Got rid of that the beginning of this year and we're completely 100% debt free now. Was such a huge relief. Now I just worry about making sure I'm saving enough for the future and how to catch up at those savings :p 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Although that's true, the few times my bank card number has been stolen, the bank/card company has been awesome about repatriating the funds that were taken.  

That obviously depends on your bank. I would expect Wells Fargo or Bank of America to fuck you over in a heartbeat or be slow about helping, but a credit Union may be more responsive. Ymmv

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I have considered this possibility, but like @mclumber1, my experience is that my bank is over cautious and pretty good. Might not hurt to have an extra layer, but I have to weigh that against making sure another bill is paid off on time :p My impression is that card security in general is getting better too though. 

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That obviously depends on your bank. I would expect Wells Fargo or Bank of America to fuck you over in a heartbeat or be slow about helping, but a credit Union may be more responsive. Ymmv

Yeah, I've been with Navy Federal Credit Union for 15 years.  Almost always a good experience.  Only problem with using them is that there isn't a branch within over a 100 miles of me.  Luckily they do partner with a lot of local banks/credit unions for no-fee ATMs. 

6 minutes ago, legend said:

I have considered this possibility, but like @mclumber1, my experience is that my bank is over cautious and pretty good. Might not hurt to have an extra layer, but I have to weigh that against making sure another bill is paid off on time :p My impression is that card security in general is getting better too though. 

I think in general card security is getting better.  The card companies must have some pretty good algorithms to identify suspicious activity, because my card was once frozen within a few minutes of a thief using it to purchase something for like $28.