The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Democrats can't do anything about the Supreme Court right now, and unless they get the majority in the Senate come election time, they won't be able to do anything until at least 2020.  

That's what I assumed the "long game" was: getting a majority to block potential openings in 2019/2020, along with a host of judges in the lower courts, similar to what Republicans did to Obama those last two years of his presidency.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

That's what I assumed the "long game" was: getting a majority to block potential openings in 2019/2020, along with a host of judges in the lower courts, similar to what Republicans did to Obama those last two years of his presidency.

Yeah, there is no "short game" for the Democrats, except wasted energy and wasted political capital, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Some people want to be so critical of the dems that they ignore clear political realities, like the minority party can’t stop SCOTUS appointments.

30 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I honestly don't think it matters what the Dems do, Trump's approval is bad, and the GOP is going to pay for it.  Hes threatening to shut down the government if he doesn't get his wall again, which would take effect a month before the election, lol.

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

8 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Its not really that funny, its been played out over and over, the presidents party loses seats in congress, when the president is unpopular they lose a lot of seats.  GOP lost seats in both chambers in 2016 as well, and has continued to lose seats in special elections, as well as in state houses where dems have taken full control of 2 states since then.  Trump is also not on the ballot, meaning even if they like him they might not like their options on the ballot and not vote or vote 3rd party, see Alabama senate race.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its not really that funny, its been played out over and over, the presidents party loses seats in congress, when the president is unpopular they lose a lot of seats.  GOP lost seats in both chambers in 2016 as well, and has continued to lose seats in special elections, as well as in state houses where dems have taken full control of 2 states since then.  Trump is also not on the ballot, meaning even if they like him they might not like their options on the ballot and not vote or vote 3rd party, see Alabama senate race.

I’m not sure 2018 will necessarily follow conventions because this dude (and the GOP generally) was unpopular on election night. 

I do think the Dems have solid opportunity to get legislative control this election and to continue gains at the state level...but I also think they may take over just in time for a sweet recession that dunces will blame on the Dems.

I think they should really be focusing on prepping the electorate for the impending recession by tying Trump/GOP policies to it, both in terms of depth and length.

Stomping their feet about judicial nominees that they can’t actually stop means much less than taking legislative control in 2019 and executive control in 2021.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I do think the Dems have solid opportunity to get legislative control this election and to continue gains at the state level...but I also think they may take over just in time for a sweet recession that dunces will blame on the Dems.

This is what I’ve been thinking is going to happen 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Democrats took over in 2006 right before the biggest recession in our lifetimes. Voters tend to blame the president for a bad economy (and likewise reward them for a good one).

The Dems primed the electorate for that. They did the work of tying the depth and length of the recession directly to Bush policies. They need to do that again. As bad as Trump is at governing, he has a knack for manufacturing narratives that work in his favor. He convinced just enough people that he was the key to a growing evonomy...when the economy was already growing. The Dems must not be reactionary on this front.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The Dems primed the electorate for that. They did the work of tying the depth and length of the recession directly to Bush policies. They need to do that again. As bad as Trump is at governing, he has a knack for manufacturing narratives that work in his favor. He convinced just enough people that he was the key to a growing evonomy...when the economy was already growing. The Dems must not be reactionary on this front.

That is true, and I know I've been telling people, especially Trump supporters who I know aren't going to listen right now, how bad the high inflation is and how stagnant wages are, and how the high inflation is forcing the Feds to raise interest rates. I'm glad many progressives are sounding the alarms to it.

I feel Dems did their 2008 strategy when we started to see the turn in the economy before the crash. In 2006, the campaign was anti-corruption and anti-Iraq War. 2007/2008, you started to hear the "Bush's third term" and Obama going after McCain about the "fundamentals" of the economy in early 2008. I don't remember that this is something they extensively did in 2006 since it seemed like most people agreed the economy was "good."

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Eh.  Kavanaugh hits all the major high points as a conservative nominee.  I never expected Paul to vote no when the GOP majority is so slim.  :whistlin:

But Paul was doing his usual song-and-dance of pretending he was going to vote no.

Notorious RGB says shes got 5 more years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/07/30/the-suspicious-political-timing-of-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-retirement-comments/?utm_term=.453d52ce5f91

“I’m now 85,” Ginsburg told CNN. “My senior colleague Justice John Paul Stevens, he stepped down when he was 90. So think I have about at least five more years.”

9 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/07/30/the-suspicious-political-timing-of-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-retirement-comments/?utm_term=.453d52ce5f91

“I’m now 85,” Ginsburg told CNN. “My senior colleague Justice John Paul Stevens, he stepped down when he was 90. So think I have about at least five more years.”

So essentially, if the Dems don't win the White House in 2020, we're all fucked.

9 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Bless her.