The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's to burnish her 'moderate' reputation, not to avoid the ire of Trump. She hopes that she can peel off the ~60k voters who voted for Trump in 16 that voted for her in '12. 

If the Republicans can get the votes without her, there is literally 0 harm in her voting to confirm. So it kinda comes down to Collins and murkowski again

There definitely is harm. How many Trump voters are likely to support a Democrat, even if she votes with Trump's initiatives 10 or 20% of the time? Now how many Democrats will sit at home and be unmotivated if their own candidate doesn't stand up to the worst administration in modern history? 

Research has been pretty clear from the last decade that motivating your own base is more valuable than appealing to "moderates" on the other side.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Moderates Democrats take their base for granted.  They think Democratic voters are suckers who will show up and vote no matter what.

Which is crazy because Dem voters don't have jobs that they have to worry about missing to go vote.

:ohsnap:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

There definitely is harm. How many Trump voters are likely to support a Democrat, even if she votes with Trump's initiatives 10 or 20% of the time? Now how many Democrats will sit at home and be unmotivated if their own candidate doesn't stand up to the worst administration in modern history? 

Research has been pretty clear from the last decade that motivating your own base is more valuable than appealing to "moderates" on the other side.

The pool of moderates far, far exceeds the pool of liberals in North Dakota. What you are saying is generally true,but North Dakota is not a friendly location for Democrats. In this case, she got 31k more votes than Obama did in 2012 when they were both on the ballot (she won, he did not). The 2016 Senate race had the Republican win 78% of the vote where Trump only got 63% while winning in his 4th best  state performance. So she has to get some Trump voters to vote for her, or she will lose. There just isn't enough Democratic support to win the turnout game here.

4 minutes ago, elbobo said:

It kind of is silliness. He group bought a bunch of tickets which racked up debt and then he paid that debt off presumably once all of his friends gave him the money for the tickets, not really much of a story. 

From the article:

Kavanaugh has reported having up to $200,000 in credit card debt during the past 10 years, according to the Post's report.

So he ran up $200,000 over 10 years...and then all of his friends suddenly paid him back all at once?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

From the article:

So he ran up $200,000 over 10 years...and then all of his friends suddenly paid him back all at once?

I believe that is an incomplete look at the situation. He was buying season tickets year in, year out for the entire group so they could have seats together. The amount of credit card debt he owned fluctuated greatly over that time (60-200k), but we only are privy to a few snapshots when he was required to disclose his financial situation.

He didn’t get paid back all at once, it was simply that once the group decided to stop buying the tickets he wasn’t putting tens of thousands onto his card in one swoop. They had always been paying him back

1 hour ago, Jason said:

From the article:

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

apparently and it wasn't 200,000 in credit card debt it was 60,000-200,000 in credit debt and loan debt 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I believe that is an incomplete look at the situation. He was buying season tickets year in, year out for the entire group so they could have seats together. The amount of credit card debt he owned fluctuated greatly over that time (60-200k), but we only are privy to a few snapshots when he was required to disclose his financial situation.

He didn’t get paid back all at once, it was simply that once the group decided to stop buying the tickets he wasn’t putting tens of thousands onto his card in one swoop. They had always been paying him back

Fake news. He merely paid off Stormy Daniels 1.5 times.

Just now, Jason said:

You're doing it wrong if you're carrying a balance.

well sure, but there have been times where you carry the balance over to the next month depending on who's paying you, and for what. Sometimes people rack up their cc debt for 3 months or so, and then they pay it off in full.  

1 hour ago, Boyle5150 said:

well sure, but there have been times where you carry the balance over to the next month depending on who's paying you, and for what. Sometimes people rack up their cc debt for 3 months or so, and then they pay it off in full.  

But then you're paying interest which negates your aforementioned earned points. I do all my Amazon purchases via my Amazon CC to get 5% back, but I pay off the balance within 3 days of purchase. :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

But then you're paying interest which negates your aforementioned earned points. I do all my Amazon purchases via my Amazon CC to get 5% back, but I pay off the balance within 3 days of purchase. :p 

My understanding is that it's better for your credit score to let some nonzero amount post as a statement balance, since if you pay everything off before the statement closes they can't tell the difference between "pays off balances on time" and "simply doesn't use his credit".

Just now, Jason said:

My understanding is that it's better for your credit score to let some nonzero amount post as a statement balance, since if you pay everything off before the statement closes they can't tell the difference between "pays off balances on time" and "simply doesn't use his credit".

My credit score is around 820, so whatever I'm doing is apparently working. 

:shrug: 

40 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Depends on what you charge for doing the transaction.  When I put things on my cc for someone else, I charge a premium.  If they are late to pay...additional charge.  

Personal stuff, I make sure I still come out on top, when I can 

3 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Depends on what you charge for doing the transaction.  When I put things on my cc for someone else, I charge a premium.  If they are late to pay...additional charge.  

Personal stuff, I make sure I still come out on top, when I can 

ITT Boyle casually admits to loansharking. :daydream:

22 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

My latest score was 815, 805 and 798.  They want a balance and then a payment.  

Yes, but you shouldn't wait months to pay your CC to increase your CS. My CCs have an APR ranging from 19%-25%.

My other bills increase my CS as well as holding 0% interest balances for a few months prior to payment. Using a CC to "get points" and then waiting to pay the balance is just silly since your interest rate is likely higher than the amount you "get back" via points. That was the entire point of my reply. :p 

EDIT: I just checked and it actually does list a "previous statement balance" even though I always pay within 3-5 days of using it. So... Yea. :p 

I have an Amex charge card that I can defer payments up to 6 months with no interest. My Amex blue card allows you to create payment plans up to 24 months with fixed payments and zero interest (as long as you make all the payments on time).

Once you graduate from more basic Visa/MasterCard cards, there are a lot of CC products that allow you to carry balances with no interest.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I have an Amex charge card that I can defer payments up to 6 months with no interest. My Amex blue card allows you to create payment plans up to 24 months with fixed payments and zero interet (as long as you make all the payments on time).

Once you graduate from more basic Visa/MasterCard cards, there are a lot of CC products that allow you to carry balances with no interest.

Amex is the best card imo.  

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

Amex is the best card imo.  

Now that it’s almost unheard of to not accept Amex at retail, I can’t understand why anybody wouldn’t have one unless they don’t meet the credit requirements.

The perks also tend to scale better over time, whereas a lot of other CC products stay the same unless you apply for a new product at that bank even as your credit and income increase.